IGNORED

Do I need clean USB power when using DAC with its own power supply?

2 hours ago, BassFace said:

Have you ever listened to some Ex Machina? Genelic 1238's?  Nuemann KH420?  PMC BB6S XBD-A?   Strauus Elektroakustik?  Adam S5V? ATC SCM models?  All used regularly and highly respected.   Slightly better than the Behringers and Classic Bedroom KRK Rokits that I think and suspect your confusing for Pro one might say.

It is interesting.  I looked up a couple of those monitors you mentioned and they are quite large three ways which are in a pricier league than many here would bother to spend on their system.  Not knocking that of course, but I must say that the smaller 2-way Genelecs I listened to ran into problems at relatively low volumes that I expect is to do with topology and size...no way around that.  At least the larger 3-ways should be more capable in larger spaces and at higher volumes but judging by the specs of say the Genelec 1238's I reckon they would fall short in some, not all, audiophiles spaces.  Personally, I tend to listen at fortissmo volumes, say 105dB peaks, and I reckon those 1238's will struggle a little to cleanly project those volumes at the listening chair in a larger space.  It is horses-for-courses and the pro monitors will not work in all situations, which is why there is such diversity of systems in this venture.  My giant horn speakers, for instance, will not be worth a damn in the studio environment but they project 105dB at my listening chair from 18Hz-47kHz using a fraction of a watt...definitely a different horse and a different course. Surrounds are JBL708P which I have never bothered to listen to properly set up in the room for stereo because to me small speakers always seem disappointing...but they are the right tool for the task.     

58 minutes ago, acg said:

It is interesting.  I looked up a couple of those monitors you mentioned and they are quite large three ways which are in a pricier league than many here would bother to spend on their system.  Not knocking that of course, but I must say that the smaller 2-way Genelecs I listened to ran into problems at relatively low volumes that I expect is to do with topology and size...no way around that.  At least the larger 3-ways should be more capable in larger spaces and at higher volumes but judging by the specs of say the Genelec 1238's I reckon they would fall short in some, not all, audiophiles spaces.  Personally, I tend to listen at fortissmo volumes, say 105dB peaks, and I reckon those 1238's will struggle a little to cleanly project those volumes at the listening chair in a larger space.  It is horses-for-courses and the pro monitors will not work in all situations, which is why there is such diversity of systems in this venture.  My giant horn speakers, for instance, will not be worth a damn in the studio environment but they project 105dB at my listening chair from 18Hz-47kHz using a fraction of a watt...definitely a different horse and a different course. Surrounds are JBL708P which I have never bothered to listen to properly set up in the room for stereo because to me small speakers always seem disappointing...but they are the right tool for the task.     

The Genelecs would naturally be better paired with a subwoofer due to size restraint.  Theres no reason why your speakers would not sound good though. A good room is a good room .  Im sure your speakers would sound just fine as long as its not too small.    As would be the importance of a room with a decent degree of treatment.   Id take a guess a few others have googled the few examples of models I have provided as they have probably never ever heard of them, let alone know how many great albums from great artists theyve listened to over the years them that have been made on them.  

2 hours ago, BassFace said:

Have you ever listened to some Ex Machina? Genelic 1238's?  Nuemann KH420?  PMC BB6S XBD-A?   Strauus Elektroakustik?  Adam S5V? ATC SCM models?  All used regularly and highly respected.   Slightly better than the Behringers and Classic Bedroom KRK Rokits that I think and suspect your confusing for Pro one might say.

Most of nearfield pro speakers are active types with DSP and some have built in DACs.  I fail to understand how good all that inaccessible electronics is pounded by sledgehammer sound waves at ear splitting levels. No wonder modern pro mastering, mixing remains at rock bottom quality designed for the lowest cost.

There's division for you 🙂

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

3 minutes ago, One and a half said:

Most of nearfield pro speakers are active types with DSP and some have built in DACs.  I fail to understand how good all that inaccessible electronics is pounded by sledgehammer sound waves at ear splitting levels. No wonder modern pro mastering, mixing remains at rock bottom quality designed for the lowest cost.

Majority of the brands I quoted also have the Passive Model available, so that would expel that logic surely.

5 minutes ago, One and a half said:

As with all things in life you get what you pay for. Same with studios unfortunately. Some are awful but they will try tell you otherwise also.

24 minutes ago, One and a half said:

I wouldnt say that's division, more that you have limited knowledge of Pro speakers. 🙂

1 hour ago, One and a half said:

. No wonder modern pro mastering, mixing remains at rock bottom quality designed for the lowest cost.

That is a cheap but not unjustified shot I must say,  but there are still some nicely made newer albums about.  The main reason I went back into vinyl was to access better mastered/mixed content... not sad I did so.

50 minutes ago, One and a half said:

Now the distinction is clear. Never mind, there's a whole thread on why audiophiles prefer passive speakers here.

Like other posts, this is way off topic.

Im merely replying to some of the ridiculous claims people have been chucking at me. Im happy to answer any however you seem to exhausted yours of any substance and have now gone to default mode and stating its off topic.

18 minutes ago, One and a half said:

The topic is USB quiet supply not Pro speakers,  to be blunt.

With respect I didnt take it off topic,  someone else started with the PMC comments as did someone else about room's and hearing what was meant to be heard. Sorry for trying to correct them.  Ignoring their replies would just be plain rude. 

15 hours ago, BassFace said:

Mackies are not considered decent just to inform you. Cheap Party/PA's at best  same with their bargain basement (i use the term loosely) montiors.   My point still stands, they are not good equipment.  Cheap Budget at best. So how on earth you can draw any kind of reference or opinion from that baffles me.  Like I said, from what youve said all youve ever tried is cheap commercially available bedroom stuff.   

I note amongst other things your apparent inability to read ... I specifically stated

... every model that people would call near field units

and every model I checked, that you mentioned, is at least a mid field unit - that is, specifically designed to have plenty of grunt.

Edit: Posted this before noting following comments ...

Note that the original post I made started with the point I was making, that is,

The pro market is certainly different .

That's the thing I was focused on - and I disturbed some people by finding that one of the cheapest items I looked at was, subjectively, quite a bit better than the others, on the day. I have had trouble with people being upset that I don't equate cost to specialness, ever since I started posting on forums - but that's an angle I'm not interested in...

5 hours ago, fas42 said:

Note that the original post I made started with the point I was making, that is,

That's the thing I was focused on - and I disturbed some people by finding that one of the cheapest items I looked at was, subjectively, quite a bit better than the others, on the day. I have had trouble with people being upset that I don't equate cost to specialness, ever since I started posting on forums - but that's an angle I'm not interested in...

Which would confirm for the 3rd time now that you really dont know what your talking about no matter how you try to dress it up.  The fact you had to even look up the models show fine well you wouldnt know a decent monitor if it was sat in front of you. How you equate factual answers with being upset is beyond me.

10 hours ago, BassFace said:

Which would confirm for the 3rd time now that you really dont know what your talking about no matter how you try to dress it up.

We are at 3333 so there's no need to keep on repeating this.

On 7/22/2021 at 4:25 PM, BassFace said:

I know I'm new on here but surely ignoring folk wont make any friends....

You can ignore me in advance.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)