IGNORED

Do I need clean USB power when using DAC with its own power supply?

Just now, The Computer Audiophile said:

You're a perpetual line stepper. You know the rules of the forum, yet constantly step on the line. 

It doesn't matter if everything you said was true, people come here to enjoy this hobby and you continually challenge people just trying to have fun. That's why we have the objective sub-forum. Your crusade to save people from themselves and right every wrong in audio is what's offensive and not a good look for you or your company. 

No crusade Chris, just commenting on the subjects that come up.

If this is only about "having fun" why are you on a crusade with MQA?

By your comments here, it seems that MQA should just be allowed to slide by because the fact that it does nothing useful is unimportant.

Some people are convinced that it improves sound and you are "spoiling their fun" by pointing out otherwise.

Thats just hypocrisy.

3 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Have at it in the objective forum. You know this. Don't pretend it's censorship.

So a parallel thread for every subject because some here are incapable of reasoned debate and get offended every time some information contrary to their view is presented.

If thats what you insist upon.

43 minutes ago, March Audio said:

No crusade Chris, just commenting on the subjects that come up.

If this is only about "having fun" why are you on a crusade with MQA?

By your comments here, it seems that MQA should just be allowed to slide by because the fact that it does nothing useful is unimportant.

Some people are convinced that it improves sound and you are "spoiling their fun" by pointing out otherwise.

Thats just hypocrisy.

Because mQa takes something away from my enjoyment of this hobby. I no longer have access to some pure PCM tracks on Tidal. In addition, anyone is welcome to open a pro mQa thread here on AS and even moderate it him/herself. 

Now, back to you. I think it's time you take a break from Audiophile Style. You have your own forum on which to write whatever you wish. You also had the opportunity to write almost whatever you wish in the objective sub-forum here, but you couldn't resist jumping all over everyone in every thread. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 hour ago, opus101 said:

If I were looking for a measurement to correlate with PRaT I'd be looking in the realm of noise and noise modulation. I have a Xindak amp which I modified the power supplies of and it greatly improved the PRaT - I figured noise on the supply lines (which may well have been signal-modulated) wasn't being rejected sufficiently by the opamp front-end of this amp in stock form.

Or maybe you improved current capability, which is a big determinant of PRaT, IME,

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

Just now, audiobomber said:

Or maybe you improved current delivery, which is a big determinant of PRaT, IME,

If by 'improved current delivery' you mean I lowered the PSU impedance then yes, I did. In another sense I restricted current delivery because I changed over from series regulation to shunt regulation. Shunt regulators tend to have a lower maximum current capability than series.

There does tend to be rather a mis-match in vocabulary between those with EE/tech backgrounds and those without. I am curious about finding ways to link up the two domains.

5 hours ago, hopkins said:

An anti-audiophile diatribe coming from an audiophile? Your non-sensical explanation that follows makes you sound more like a troll than anyone else. Transient response, attack sustain decay release are meaningless concepts in digital audio - these are just terms you  use to  express the impressions you get when a track is accurately reproduced and gives you a sense of PRaT.

In digital audio, things are very simple: either a recording is accurately reproduced by a DAC or it isn't. If it is, then everything else,  including PRaT, soundstage, ect.. follows. 

Arthur is not an audiophile, he is an anti-audiophile.

"Attack decay sustain release" is applicable to musical instruments and to music reproduction. A DAC needs to convert the digital signal to analog, then the analog stage needs to pass the signal on an amplifier. How well it handles these functions determines sound quality, and PRaT is a major determinant of SQ.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/logicpro/lgsife419620/mac

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

31 minutes ago, opus101 said:

If by 'improved current delivery' you mean I lowered the PSU impedance then yes, I did. In another sense I restricted current delivery because I changed over from series regulation to shunt regulation. Shunt regulators tend to have a lower maximum current capability than series.

There does tend to be rather a mis-match in vocabulary between those with EE/tech backgrounds and those without. I am curious about finding ways to link up the two domains.

Don't worry about vocabulary, I studied electrical and electronics theory in college. It was a long time ago, but I don't think the basics have changed. 

What I mean by current delivery is that the amp needs to provide the required amount of current to satisfy the load, in the proper amount, and on time. If it fails to do so, the result is current clipping, which can occur on transients even when current demand is well below maximum rated power. IMO, current delivery or current sourcing, is the main reason high-end amps sound better than mid-fi amps, even though both carry similar power ratings.

Audio Engineer's Reference Book 2.8.3 (2)

"The amplifier may run out of ability to provide the highest peak instantaneous output currents required, even though it may have something in hand for peak voltages. This is called current clipping."

https://books.google.ca/books?id=XOvf30iChsYC&pg=SA2-PA118&lpg=SA2-PA118&dq=amplifier+"current+clipping"&source=bl&ots=DdxLBLbZWb&sig=ACfU3U3y7TE1ekpKonvy99i6-bsCr7EbBg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiJ993K3LTjAhVGOs0KHZCDCRcQ6AEwB3oECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=amplifier "current clipping"&f=false

6 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

What I mean by current delivery is that the amp needs to provide the required amount of current to satisfy the load, in the proper amount, and on time. If it fails to do so, the result is current clipping, which can occur on transients even when current demand is well below maximum rated power. IMO, current delivery or current sourcing, is the reason high-end amps sound better than mid-fi amps.

I'd agree, the basics haven't changed. Here 'current delivery' only applies to the power stage of an amp where the load impedance (the speaker) isn't precisely known. In the case of my particular mods I didn't change anything in the power stage, rather I modified the power supplies to the signal stage. In signal stages the load impedance is known and opamps don't go into current limit ('current clipping') unless the designer's made a grave error.

What I suspect was happening in the stock amp was noise from the power stage supplies was 'bleeding through' to the signal stage supply, due to the regulators not being up to the job (insufficient line rejection). They also had too high an output impedance due to them feeding just a pair of opamps (about 8mA) - regulator output impedance is quite a strong function of output current and 8mA from a TO-220 reg is almost a negligible amount where the max rating is 1.5A.

For a bit of balance:

2 hours ago, Archimago said:

When I have a "standard" DAC (these days typically my RME ADI-2 Pro FS R Black Edition) and a "comparison" DAC side-by-side, then maybe I can make some consistent comments - but even then it's within the context of the whole system, room, ambient noise level, listener experience / hearing acuity, etc.

100% agreed. But I think this is how it becomes important that more observations (preferably 100s) would lead to the same conclusion.

What would be wrong-ish is that you just declared the RME ADI-2 Pro FS as a reference.

Why ?

I own one. It is no reference for me. Oh, for measurement figures perhaps. And hey, did I see talk about the Topping D50 ? measures great but I too say it sucks the life out of all. And I think I have read many more of these observations.

It is not so easy. Talk about it as adults (with you as an example, if I may say so) would be great.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

5 hours ago, March Audio said:

Im not sure where that leaves us if people wont believe measurements and subjective listening tests.

No one said this was going to be easy!

Measurements are interesting but may not capture everything, and there are millions of reasons why subjective impressions (starting with our own) can be challenged.

If you don't know Naim, you don't know PRaT!

(sorry couldn't resist)

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

18 hours ago, hopkins said:

Perhaps. But now think back about CD players. We had no trouble accepting the fact that a high quality CD player sounded better than a cheap one.

Speak for yourself. never heard any, regardless of how much salesmanship was at play.

Here's another engineer (B.Putzeys) talking about the challenges of digital audio:

https://www.stereonet.com/forums/topic/317371-bruno-putzeys-darko-interview/

Here's a well respected DAC designer (among other things) who actually uses measurements to some extent (as most serious engineers do) - he's talked about how he uses them, but I cannot find that link. In his view, measurements were never meant to be used as a complete framework for evaluating equipment performance. 

I actually have not listened to the whole interview but trust the short summary provided in the link is accurate. 

26 minutes ago, hopkins said:

Here's another engineer (B.Putzeys) talking about the challenges of digital audio:

https://www.stereonet.com/forums/topic/317371-bruno-putzeys-darko-interview/

Here's a well respected DAC designer (among other things) who actually uses measurements to some extent (as most serious engineers do) - he's talked about how he uses them, but I cannot find that link. In his view, measurements were never meant to be used as a complete framework for evaluating equipment performance. 

I actually have not listened to the whole interview but trust the short summary provided in the link is accurate. 

Yes, but also make sure to balance Putzey's comments with what he says elsewhere and how he approaches issues:

https://www.soundstagexperience.com/index.php/wesworld-menu/feature-articles-reviews-menu/720-bruno-putzeys-navigates-toward-the-state-of-the-art

https://www.audioholics.com/audio-amplifier/amp-myths-negative-feedback

Back in 2011 he also had a white paper talking about the "baroque prose" of high fidelity writings:

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/28060563/ncore-technology-white-paper-hypex

Things are complicated. But let's keep it rational.

Archimago's Musings: A "more objective" take for the Rational Audiophile.

Beyond mere fidelity, into immersion and realism.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

George Klissarov of exaSound:

“Power conditioning and noise-filtering works fine for traditional analogue audio devices. However, they are not sufficient to solve the issue of digital noise. Noise caused by digital switching circuits can travel via the ground connections. To block the propagation of digital noise it is necessary to eliminate the electrical connection between the digital and the analogue subsystems. We achieve this by using several types of isolation components – transformers, optoelectronic couplers, and digital Isolators. Compartmentalizing various subsystems with isolators keeps the external noise out and the internal noise in. Digital inputs are isolated from the internal blocks of the PlayPoint DM. The digital subsystem is isolated from the analogue circuits, left is isolated from right.”

“Each of these refinements makes a contribution to sound quality. Combined, their effect is significant. With vanishingly low noise and distortion, every music detail is presented against a very low noise background, highlighting the micro and macro dynamics.”

https://darko.audio/2019/01/exasound-playpoint-dm-review/

4 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

George Klissarov of exaSound:

“Power conditioning and noise-filtering works fine for traditional analogue audio devices. However, they are not sufficient to solve the issue of digital noise. Noise caused by digital switching circuits can travel via the ground connections. To block the propagation of digital noise it is necessary to eliminate the electrical connection between the digital and the analogue subsystems. We achieve this by using several types of isolation components – transformers, optoelectronic couplers, and digital Isolators. Compartmentalizing various subsystems with isolators keeps the external noise out and the internal noise in. Digital inputs are isolated from the internal blocks of the PlayPoint DM. The digital subsystem is isolated from the analogue circuits, left is isolated from right.”

“Each of these refinements makes a contribution to sound quality. Combined, their effect is significant. With vanishingly low noise and distortion, every music detail is presented against a very low noise background, highlighting the micro and macro dynamics.”

https://darko.audio/2019/01/exasound-playpoint-dm-review/

Someone trying to sell something... always a good objective source of information... 👺 

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

7 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

Someone trying to sell something... always a good objective source of information... 👺 

Yeah, I get it. The people who build this stuff don't know anything. We can't trust manufacturers or reviewers or other audiophiles, or our own ears. Just the measurements. 😆

24 minutes ago, Archimago said:

Things are complicated. But let's keep it rational

By simply claiming noise and jitter are none issues because:

"If there is a noise issue that can be addressed, I cannot imagine that they would not fix it. (To be clear, the DACs these guys I've spoken to make are not cheap!)" 

Give us a break! Where's the science there??? 

Your blog is a series of rants against audiophiles, and that's fine, but let's not take everyone for complete idiots please.