IGNORED

Is it worth it?

8 minutes ago, March Audio said:

Chris,

OK, to move on from this because it's not going to progress things in a positive way, can I take it that you are happy for thread creators to take control and moderate their own threads to stop this sort of thing?

Can you explain how this is done?

Just ask Chris and he'll do it.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

March Audio’s situation is different. Ever since he joined there have been tons of issues. Before him, we had plenty of objective discussions that didn’t end up worthless. Now, he can’t avoid trouble. 

No it isn't Chris and your assertions here are somewhat offensive.

It's quite demonstrable that a couple of individuals have gone out of their way to thread crap threads I have been involved with.

I think it's up to you to explain why you haven't censured individuals that have been personally offensive and broken forum rules that would get most people permanently banned.

I didn't start this thread, it's clear others are seeing the problems.

20 minutes ago, March Audio said:

No it isn't Chris and your assertions here are somewhat offensive.

It's quite demonstrable that a couple of individuals have gone out of their way to thread crap threads I have been involved with.

I think it's up to you to explain why you haven't censured individuals that have been personally offensive and broken forum rules that would get most people permanently banned.

I didn't start this thread, it's clear others are seeing the problems.

I haven’t moderated those posts because it’s over and out of my mind for now. The thread is locked. There are bigger fish to fry than doing that at this moment. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

2 minutes ago, plissken said:

My approach has been to participate at other forums.

And you’ve had such great success on those that you don’t come back, oh wait. 

Only kidding. It all depends where people want to talk and with whom. No forum is everything to everyone. 

I take the community approach and ask people to moderate themselves and be adults. It doesn’t always work, but it’s the best approach I believe. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

23 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I haven’t moderated those posts because it’s over and out of my mind for now. The thread is locked. There are bigger fish to fry than doing that at this moment. 

Sure, thats fine, the individual concerned has only done himself a disservice by behaving in this way and loses any  credibility.  However, dont you think you need to have words with a that individual to ask him not to any continue with that sort of behaviour?  Its clear that if some are unable to behave like adults then I'm afraid thats where you have to step in.

Anyway, as it appears that if I can have control of future threads, if I see this sort of behaviour again I can moderate and stop the protagonist myself so you wont need to get involved.  So to a large extent the problem is solved.

13 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

And you’ve had such great success on those that you don’t come back, oh wait.

I'm only swinging by occasionally and checking the networking forum. If someone has a legitimate need and they have hit enough pain that they are at a point of listening then I'll be glad to help.

Other things that have be busy is I'm now teaching Cisco's CCNA 200-301 and that has me tied up evenings after work.

4 hours ago, Racerxnet said:

In an objective forum, why are the subjective opinions allowed to continually spam away without any factual basis. Your audio equipment does not function on subjective engineering. I wouldn't want to stifle the ideas people present, but the theory should be presented in an objective manner with some actual testing and trial to either prove or dispel the idea. 

That has certainly been happening.

Howver Chris says the OP can have moderation privileges so it can be dealt with.  He doesn't have time to police everything.

My only concern with this is the real possibility of over zealous moderation turning threads into little more than an echo chamber.

8 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Because all of you guys in that thread reported posts and whined about the other people being mean. I’d had enough of it. I can’t spend all my time on stupid stuff. 

It’s amazing how some people here do nothing but contribute without getting into pudding matches. Please follow their lead. 

I had a few threads of software music player comparisons that have been going for over a year now without major issues (until March audio tried to derail it as well, but thankfully I could report and get it saved).

Another kind of response:

12 hours ago, idiot_savant said:

*edit of the edit* - I’m here as I don’t like stupid mad things posted as “fact” in a subject I’m interested in - there is genuine innovation going on by various players with graphs and everything, and I don’t like it being confused with swapping out one kind of voodoo for another

You should not believe in voodoo, but you better believe in advance that if something like this "constellation" player states it changes the sound, it just does. It is only that we may not understand how it works (or even why it works). And please notice, it is your education and work-life experience which goes against this all. However, you must accept that people like this Eric - or take me myself for the better example, just utilize that same education, knowledge and experience to create audio products. Let's please not talk about these players again, but let's try to understand what could be behind products and solutions, without knowing IP etc., the products sufficiently being rewarded world wide.

At 150m distance from me, lives Mr van den Hul. The one from the cartridges and the one from the carbon cables and the one from the mysterious (medical) devices as of current, which latter I don't even like to understand. One thing: the man studied physics and instead of knowing in advance that things can't be, he applies this knowledge to new stuff.

Along with this goes another kind of example (interesting for your subject here), ... because of his knowledge but by far more merely because of his education, poor me is not able to talk with him about my own cables, because, well, I am not educated in the cable field.

... This is one quite huge problem of what you see happening at A/S (and I am waiting to quote responses from others to this vdHul story - haha).

One of the earlier versions of XXHE consisted a/o of 3 dials, Q3, 4 and 5. Back in those days, all those dials did, was creating noise. They worked in "stepless" form against each other, and they oscillated the current draw we tend to call noise. And yes, because I program synthesizers as well, I know a bit how to set that up.

You could have been around where I was tempted to being able to measure this which after some effort I could do, and where I could easily show the various settings of these dials, them resulting in different output signal against a reference. Please notice: Today it does not matter a bit whether I can show that or not, because 99,99999 % of people will tell us that the differences are so way under audibility, that it can't make a difference to begin with.

Oh ?

I apologize to have two examples from the street I live in, but it's a bit tough to use examples from others of which you don't know the insights really. One thing is to be emphasized: just because you have the knowledge, with an open mind you can create things that go beyond understanding and knowledge. This is how the measurements run after the facts.

Anyway, all I can do is recognize similar stuff this Eric is doing without even looking at anything (but reading his web page), which only gets emphasized by your own findings at seeing threads randomly started etc. That will change SQ all right.

So our - or your task could be to see through whatever someone is blathering commercially BUT believe initially. Most of us are not of the cheating kind really.

I did not tell about them Q3,4,5 back then. Now I do. But now they have different functions so now I can tell about the past. Doing that all the time btw. Logically.

I could show you the code including the comments.

Again, please. This is not about players and not even about persons. But it sure *is* about understanding and seeing through. IOW, why do I unconditionally believe in advance what Eric does ? ... because I know it can exist.

Be open minded.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

@PeterSt - you see, this is where we aren’t going to see eye to eye - if I do something, and something changes I didn’t expect, I need to know *why* - otherwise how can I be sure I don’t undo it next time? Maybe there is an easier way? This whole trying things at random then trying to come up with plausible explanations isn’t engineering…

I’m all for people trying things out, but that can be dangerous - let’s imagine we think replacing a fuse with a bit of wire sounds better? 

your friendly neighbourhood idiot