IGNORED

ASR Audio Science Review forum YouTube Channel

asdf1000

9 hours ago, Miska said:

Not that I feel that the site would have much to offer for me, and the stuff I could give to the forum wasn't welcome either.

That is their loss for sure !!!

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

On 3/1/2021 at 8:04 AM, botrytis said:

Exactly. I am a lower tier person and I admit it. But, I enjoy listening to everything and all levels of equipment but I can tell you when something is off. Measurements, hearing IN YOUR ROOM, etc. all need to be done.

And that's how it works - in part. If you have any reasonable level of passion about this game, it always obvious when a system is below par. But measuring is generally useless, as a means of providing anything useful, IME - the only thing that truly matters is knowing how to resolve what your ears are picking up - if one is obsessed with measurements meaning everything, then when you get the numbers looking better, you will try to force your brain to follow suit, as regards the hearing. Only to be punctured by your significant other commenting, "Why does the stereo sound worse at the moment ... ? 🤣

4 hours ago, semente said:

This reminds me of Toole’s proposed theory that listening to speakers in mono is more discriminating because the rating differences were larger than when the assessment of the same three speakers was performed in stereo.

What seems to have happened is that the listening panel was coached to prefer wide dispersion and rated this type of speaker higher when in mono because it produced increased envelopment than narrow dispersion models.

This is called science.

This is in fact a very easy way to assess a system's performance - stereo speakers, with true mono material played over them. The worse the factors are, that degrade all the performance parameters that matter subjectively, the faster the sound will dive into the nearest speaker, when you move sideways from the central spot - this can range from head in a vice criticality, to never losing the sense of the sound coming from the space beyond the speakers, no matter how far sideways you go.

5 hours ago, fas42 said:

And that's how it works - in part. If you have any reasonable level of passion about this game, it always obvious when a system is below par. But measuring is generally useless, as a means of providing anything useful, IME - the only thing that truly matters is knowing how to resolve what your ears are picking up - if one is obsessed with measurements meaning everything, then when you get the numbers looking better, you will try to force your brain to follow suit, as regards the hearing. Only to be punctured by your significant other commenting, "Why does the stereo sound worse at the moment ... ? 🤣

I said I am a lower tier person not my system is sub par. I would put my office system against many I have heard and come away grinning. The two on are not same thing. 

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

4 hours ago, fas42 said:

This is in fact a very easy way to assess a system's performance - stereo speakers, with true mono material played over them. The worse the factors are, that degrade all the performance parameters that matter subjectively, the faster the sound will dive into the nearest speaker, when you move sideways from the central spot - this can range from head in a vice criticality, to never losing the sense of the sound coming from the space beyond the speakers, no matter how far sideways you go.

God, you are so full of nonsense. You have no clue as to what you are talking about.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

8 hours ago, ASRMichael said:

This post is in reference to the Taiko Extreme...so many opinions rather than say I’ve heard it and I think X! 

I've been on the Taiko website and they have bigger, fundamental, misunderstandings about computers:

image.png.d8bfc98af234b2c027d65f58a3fe5234.png

When I read this they are confusing RAID with backups. I see this rookie mistake all the time.

Here's one of my servers: HPE Gen7 Proliant DL360e. The server with 24GB of RAM was $155 shipped.

2 Xeon L5640 (total of 32 logical cores)

128GB ECC DDR3 10600 RAM ($120)

8 TB of storageRAID 5 ($300)

480GB Kinston SSD Boot Drive ($55)

4 GBe Copper Ethernet

2 10GBe LC SR Ethernet ($20 for the card, $18 for the 10GBe transceiver)

1 Lights out management Ethernet. This is a great feature BTW.

My total cost was $668. Able to hit ~670MB/s between servers (I have a 2nd DL360e and a Dell R620) and my HPE Z420 workstation. I can get 332MB/s to my lowly Celeron N3150 based systems (100% silent machines BTW). I have a Pi3 B+ in one room and a N3150 ASRock based machine in another.

The servers are in a rack in the basement.

50998056658_564a845deb_b.jpgIMG_20210302_225919

50998874997_5739c7c512_b.jpgIMG_20210302_224720

50998874927_f70d8ec8b3_b.jpgIMG_20210302_224728

50998057088_29b28656f6_b.jpgIMG_20210302_224747

3 hours ago, botrytis said:

God, you are so full of nonsense. You have no clue as to what you are talking about.

And you have no clue as to how impressive the illusion is, that competent playback can throw up, and which the conscious mind can't reject ... you still can't understand that it's possible to fool the ear/brain with reproduced sound of sufficient integrity - in the visual field, there are examples galore of how it's possible to make the unconscious mind believe some visual trickery; even when the conscious mind knows it's being fooled. But it's so hard for some to accept that quite remarkable trickery can also occur in the auditory world ...

3 hours ago, plissken said:

I've been on the Taiko website and they have bigger, fundamental, misunderstandings about computers:

When I read this they are confusing RAID with backups. I see this rookie mistake all the time.

Here's one of my servers: HPE Gen7 Proliant DL360e. The server with 24GB of RAM was $155 shipped.

2 Xeon L5640 (total of 32 logical cores)

128GB ECC DDR3 10600 RAM ($120)

8 TB of storageRAID 5 ($300)

480GB Kinston SSD Boot Drive ($55)

4 GBe Copper Ethernet

2 10GBe LC SR Ethernet ($20 for the card, $18 for the 10GBe transceiver)

1 Lights out management Ethernet. This is a great feature BTW.

My total cost was $668. Able to hit ~670MB/s between servers (I have a 2nd DL360e and a Dell R620) and my HPE Z420 workstation. I can get 332MB/s to my lowly Celeron N3150 based systems (100% silent machines BTW). I have a Pi3 B+ in one room and a N3150 ASRock based machine in another.

The servers are in a rack in the basement.

50998056658_564a845deb_b.jpgIMG_20210302_225919

50998874997_5739c7c512_b.jpgIMG_20210302_224720

50998874927_f70d8ec8b3_b.jpgIMG_20210302_224728

50998057088_29b28656f6_b.jpgIMG_20210302_224747

Seriously? I’ve never not know an IT person to spout out.... Raid is not a backup! It must be the 1st thing in the manual! 

Lets be clear mind you. Raid is a form of redundancy? Which in turn is a backup of some sort. 1 drive goes down & you replace the drive without losing all the data across all drives. Obviously subject what Raid you using. But I agree it’s not a 100% back & there is risk attached to it. So for 100% safety sake backup to another device if you are worried about it. 

You calling Emile a rookie? 

5 hours ago, plissken said:

I am afraid that you don't know Dutch well. But to me that makes perfect sense.

I will be the same reason why it is difficult to understand my English. Half of the words need to spring in between the others from consistency or logic. Plus, I think that we (or at least I) take a lot for granted as your knowledge. Emile does that there too.

Change your mind set (as in that he surely will know what the difference between a backup and RAID is) and it will be readable as intended.

PS: For AmirM (or others), our own Audio PC's are also 28 or 32 core Xeons (on real server boards).

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

4 hours ago, ASRMichael said:

Raid is a form of redundancy? Which in turn is a backup of some sort

No RAID is not backup. Period. RAID is real time continuity in face of a single point, or could be multiple points of failure, that allow graceful recovery with no lost production.

You let me know how good RAID is for all these cryptoware attacks places get hit with. The entire RAID, 'some form of redundancy', whatever get encrypted. Smart customers have backup.

I had a small business get hit with ransomware and had the initial VM's backup in 8 hours. Took 2 more days to re-image all desktops. And that's a great outcome when it comes to ransomware. I've been in situations where the FBI has been onsite.

6 minutes ago, plissken said:

No RAID is not backup. Period. RAID is real time continuity in face of a single point, or could be multiple points of failure, that allow graceful recovery with no lost production.

You let me know how good RAID is for all these cryptoware attacks places get hit with. The entire RAID, 'some form of redundancy', whatever get encrypted. Smart customers have backup.

I had a small business get hit with ransomware and had the initial VM's backup in 8 hours. Took 2 more days to re-image all desktops. And that's a great outcome when it comes to ransomware. I've been in situations where the FBI has been onsite.

We're talking home music files here - no need to be so IT about it all. RAID is fine as long as one also has a stand alone hard drive backup (or two or three). 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

18 minutes ago, ASRMichael said:

Seriously you digging yourself a hole. Everyone knows you work in IT, no need to float your expertise. The point I was making was you were effectively calling Emile a rookie? Can we compare the Extreme to your pictures above? in fact don't answer that.  

I've no problem with the comparison. I don't think his hardware comes anywhere near the level of engineering of a Dell or HPE server. Period. I don't run my server in room, I run them in a rack in a basement corner. So my requirements are different. I'm not calling anyone a rookie. I'm pointing out a misconception by a vendor of a $27K box that should know better.

I've got redundant power, I've got Lights out Management, I've got hardware RAID with 1GB of cache, I've got 8 drive bays. All under $700 for enterprise class hardware. I've posted about this particular server before that with 32GB of RAM it came in at $155 shipped and clean as a whistle. You don't need to spend gobs of money on this. You don't have to sacrifice anything either. This box will do whatever DSP you need.

29 minutes ago, plissken said:

You don't need to spend gobs of money on this. You don't have to sacrifice anything either.

image.thumb.png.61be707a7b17e85592d01ea260537768.png

And this is my basement. It will sound like sh*t because it wasn't made to play audio. For that we build different machines.

I am shouting for over 2 years now that the PC is more important to the sound than the DAC. And it better be believed because without exception each customer agrees fully. You just never tried it, I suppose. Or you think you know better. Or you think you are an Amir. Hahaha.

But seriously. If you think you are an audiophile you must seriously invest in the playback hardware.

I don't do it exactly the same as Taiko.

image.png.3f4fd3542226d9818f1eea79378bb43a.png

So a Server board in there, that 28 or 32 core Xeon processor, running at 500Mhz (settable) and of course with a Linear PSU inside. Oh all passive. No watercooling either. wait, not even heatsinks (except for the CPU heatsink). CPU 60 degrees C max. Weight 13Kg.

No room heater at all.

So is this better than the Taiko ? ... -> Unimportant. Both ate infinitely better sounding than your laptop. 

yes.gif

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)