IGNORED

ASR Audio Science Review forum YouTube Channel

asdf1000

4 minutes ago, asdf1000 said:

And as mentioned a gazzillion times, Schiit bought their own APx555 and now publish measurements on their website.

And now send stuff to ASR to measure...

So Kudos to them.

I know that anecdotal bit. I'm looking for objective information.

Schiit said XYZ, measurements show ABC.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

adsf1000 so Schiit bought a APx555. So what? The Yggy doesn’t measure perfectly, still doesn’t. Mike Moffat has been clear that multibit doesn’t measure perfectly. I have spoken with him about it. He doesn’t care, neither do I. It measures well enough and sounds wonderful. I am not into measurbation.

8 minutes ago, JoeWhip said:

adsf1000 so Schiit bought a APx555. So what? The Yggy doesn’t measure perfectly, still doesn’t. Mike Moffat has been clear that multibit doesn’t measure perfectly. I have spoken with him about it. He doesn’t care, neither do I. It measures well enough and sounds wonderful. I am not into measurbation.

Even the Modi Multibit sounds great. Not once have I cared about its measurements on some measuring device. The Yggy is awesome, listening to it right now.

No electron left behind.

I'll bet my vintage Naim 160 amp doesn't measure nearly as well as some cheap class D amp Amir would slobber all over, but for sheer musicality and depth it would wipe the floor of one of those. Measurements mean very little in real world listening imo, esp in the overall picture of a well matched and tweaked system. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

2 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

Real engineers know the value of measurements. Schiit doesn’t have to say schiit about it, this is engineering 101.

Do real armchair engineers know this too, or do only those in the club know this?

I'm asking for a very simple thing. 

What did Schiit say, what was proven to be wrong?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

3 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Do real armchair engineers know this too, or do only those in the club know this?

I'm asking for a very simple thing. 

What did Schiit say, what was proven to be wrong?

Ask them, why are you asking here? Training and knowledge is required to understand and use measurements properly. 

29 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

Ask them, why are you asking here? Training and knowledge is required to understand and use measurements properly. 

I'm asking here because @asdf1000 said he wrote it in this thread over and over and I can't find anything of the sort. His whole mantra is wanting measurements because he wants to make sure products do what the manufacturer says. I believe this is like asking for a voter fraud commission and there isn't much to look at. Thus, I want to see how big of an issue this is.

Just asking for objective facts. Is that too much to ask? 

37 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I'm asking here because @asdf1000 said he wrote it in this thread over and over and I can't find anything of the sort. His whole mantra is wanting measurements because he wants to make sure products do what the manufacturer says. I believe this is like asking for a voter fraud commission and there isn't much to look at. Thus, I want to see how big of an issue this is.

Just asking for objective facts. Is that too much to ask? 

I'm a bit confused. What objective facts? What Schiit said was wrong after they purchased an APx555? Sorry, I'm not privy to such facts.

Just now, pkane2001 said:

I'm a bit confused. What objective facts? What Schiit said was wrong after they purchased an APx555? Sorry, I'm not privy to such facts.

@asdf1000 claimed that 3rd party measurements proved Schiit wrong in what they claimed for the Modi. 

I'd love to see this and figure out if there is something to this, if it's a one-off, or if it's like non-existent voter fraud. 

4 hours ago, asdf1000 said:

What is actually strange is people in this thread having an issue with ASR because he doesn't do enough subjective impressions.

Please read my posts above, including the one with the links to ASR. My issue is the unfairness in both measurements and subjective commentary, not the lack of subjective commentary. 

2 hours ago, asdf1000 said:

Can't link to ASR on your forum but have a look on ASR for Modi 1 , as one example.

You ignored (conveniently) a lot of previous examples when you asked for examples, so I'm not spending much energy to help someone with selective hearing.

image.png.eb5e1265d821cb1f6edf558ef53f4053.png

Which Modi is this? What ASR review showed this to be incorrect? Keep in mind, too, that Amir’s measurements often do not match the VRMS specified by manufacturers, so they cannot tell us if the manufacturer’s specifications are correct or not. 

4 hours ago, asdf1000 said:

Rob Watts posted his APx555 Chord Mojo measurements on release, which were quite different to ASR's later (I think he'd just gotten his APx555 at that point). In this case I have no reason to question the designer's own measurements. He was one of the first in Europe to own that model and Amir had just gotten it.

Rob Watts saw ASR Mojo measurements and effectively said something like (paraphrasing here): "I don't know what he's doing but it doesn't bode well that his measurements are nothing like my own APx555 measurements".

This is why I'd love to see manufacturers post their own measurements.

In this case, Rob had the data for all to see to backup his comment. Not just words but his own measurements.

So are you saying this is an example of Amir getting a measurement wrong? How does this demonstrate his fairness or the value of his measurements?

10 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

@asdf1000 claimed that 3rd party measurements proved Schiit wrong in what they claimed for the Modi. 

I'd love to see this and figure out if there is something to this, if it's a one-off, or if it's like non-existent voter fraud. 

As far as I know, Modi 1 measurements were atrocious, with large levels of noise and jitter. Modi 3 appears to be a very reasonable, well-performing DAC that was made after Schiit acquired an APx555. Don't know what was right or proven wrong, but this is what the measurements show.

1 minute ago, pkane2001 said:

As far as I know, Modi 1 measurements were atrocious, with large levels of noise and jitter. Modi 3 appears to be a very reasonable, well-performing DAC that was made after Schiit acquired an APx555. Don't know what was right or proven wrong, but this is what the measurements show.

That is more like what I remember as well. 

7 hours ago, manisandher said:

In the past, I've used HQPlayer with Miska's NAA and later a microRendu in my office system. With these, I couldn't use my preferred DAC (the Phasure NOS1), because there wasn't (still isn't) a Linux driver for it, so I opted for a cheapish Chord 2Qute. It sounded very nice. And being able to use HQPlayer with Roon was great, with all the flexibility it provided.

Too bad none of the Chord DACs offer direct path to the actual D/A conversion. So not the best pairing for HQPlayer.

Running something like T+A with DSD from HQPlayer using ASDM5EC or ASDM7EC modulator. Or Holo Audio Spring / May with the same modulator, or with 1.5M PCM from HQPlayer with LNS15 noise shaper and DAC Bits set to 20 is much better match.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

10 hours ago, PeterSt said:

This is during playback (32/705.6 from 16/44.1). Compare with your own system. CPU speed is fixed at 1.14-1.16 GHz (but can be up to 350MHz - as I said earlier, this is settable and changes SQ drastically).

For me, just the fact there exists GUI and display output in a device doing audio output puts me off. (especially if it runs Windows and not a custom OS)

I've been running NAAs powered by two AA batteries... And down to single core 400 MHz ARM9 CPU with 64 MB of RAM.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

9 hours ago, manisandher said:

And BTW, I hate the idea of harward/software affecting sound. I long for the day that this is not the case, but haven't yet come across a DAC that's totally immune to what happens upstream. That's just the way it is.

Mani.

Yes. Knowing that fiddling with the hard and soft sides of things affects what you hear is a bummer, when you can clearly hear that the sound is sub standard. This means part of oneself is itching to get up and do something about it - and the ease which listening to music should be about is not happening.

Total immunity? I can live with a 'lower' standard 😉 - which is that the SQ is always satisfying; yes, I know that in certain areas of the tonality that it could be better, and that the bigness and sense of immersion could be even more ... but, it's good enough - it always delights, and surprises; musical gems keep popping out, from the most unlikely recordings.

8 hours ago, asdf1000 said:

This is why I'd love to see manufacturers post their own measurements.

I find it very amusing how most high end companies supply almost nothing in their specs - the Perreaux power amp I have from the 1980's nails its colours to the mast very extensively, in the user manual - of course, this tells me zero about how it sounds; but listening to it at the dealers told me it was way better than the Krell that was sitting next to it ...