IGNORED

ASR Audio Science Review forum YouTube Channel

asdf1000

1 minute ago, PeterSt said:

You seem to assume too much and read too few.

There surely *are* things being done in the processing computer, but only those things which help for my own software (XXHighEnd). I am not talking about Roon Server where all would be different. For example, the processing computer (we call that Music Server PC) takes care that the Audio PC does not process any music as streaming, while actually it is streamed (by the Music Server PC). This with the notice that an Internet connection for any Audio PC (as it is written in my book) is already out of the question, let alone streaming from it which *really* messes up all and deteriorates sound.

The Audio PC is not even allowed to be connected to a switch (oops. *that* story again !!).

The above is in detail different from what I said, but else all becomes too long(winded).

I am not assuming anything. I am merely asking questions to understand how it works (but realise that you may not wish to disclose your secrets).

I don't stream from the internet but from local storage (currently an SSD in a USB enclosure). I have no interest in web-streaming.

With HQPlayer I have a processing computer (using Desktop) and a buffer (using NAA) connected over an audio only (no internet) wired Ethernet network.

Your file playback system is different and quite complicated but interesting. I need to get some work done now.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

7 minutes ago, semente said:

I am not assuming anything.

Oh, but my intent was not negative. Here:

7 minutes ago, semente said:

Your file playback system is different

So of course people assume, based on known standards or common knowledge. There is nothing wrong or strange with that.

Maybe I could say it differently, but that English ...

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

55 minutes ago, sandyk said:

I doubt that other lower priced  headphones in the Sennheiser range do this, any more than other manufacturers except for the rare Flagship model. 

I never said every model anyway...

And I wouldn't call HD800 and HD800S "rare"....

14 hours ago, plissken said:

I'm operating from the POV that servers are servers and not end point's with direct connection to a DAC. I'll both circle back and double down on Miska's NAA approach. You do all the heavy computational stuff on a server and then send out PCM, DoP, DSD to an endpoint supporting whatever protocol it is. Be it DNLA or NAA or RAAT or RTP or.... The list goes on.

Why would you have the device plugged in directly to your DAC doing all the computational work? Off load that somewhere else and just spit out the end result to a nice low power endpoint. @Miska , @jabbr am I missing something here?

I've used both HQPlayer and XXHighEnd for well over 10 years now.

In the past, I've used HQPlayer with Miska's NAA and later a microRendu in my office system. With these, I couldn't use my preferred DAC (the Phasure NOS1), because there wasn't (still isn't) a Linux driver for it, so I opted for a cheapish Chord 2Qute. It sounded very nice. And being able to use HQPlayer with Roon was great, with all the flexibility it provided.

However, feeding the 2Qute from Peter's Mach II (his first audio PC offering) and XXHighEnd simply sounded better than either the NAA or microRendu setup.

Currently in my main system, I have Peter's newer Mach III audio PC feeding a Phasure NOS1 DAC. I tend use Roon (in music server) -> RoonBridge (in Mach III) for most part (so the Mach III acting as an NAA), and am happy to stream from Tidal or play from local storage. I use XXHighEnd for more 'critical listening'. Both methods do their respective jobs perfectly well IMO.

I love the idea of a powerful music server doing all the heavy lifting and feeding a light NAA connected directly to a DAC. But my experience tells me that better sound can be had.

And BTW, I hate the idea of harward/software affecting sound. I long for the day that this is not the case, but haven't yet come across a DAC that's totally immune to what happens upstream. That's just the way it is.

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

6 hours ago, asdf1000 said:

This is easy to dismiss, I shared many examples before but you don't read or conveniently ignore.

Even the cheap Chinese DAC companies that you dislike share their APx555 measurements.

Rob Watts of Chord shares his APx555 measurements. 

Genelec share measurements

RME share measurements

JBL share measurements

Neumann share measurements. 

Schiit Audio share APx555 measurements.

My Sennheiser headphones came with factory measurements.

Remember, specifications come from measurements.

Many more companies than listed above publish specifications... so a measurement or variety of, can be used to verify....

In the grand scheme of audio, that isn’t many companies. 

Your crusade is a bit strange to me, but that’s ok. We all have our own things. 

I wish more people would get out there color meters to prove the sky is blue. Only kidding. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

10 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

In the grand scheme of audio, that isn’t many companies. 

This is a hilarious reply. People reading this will see how silly it is.

"Remember, specifications come from measurements.

Many more companies than listed above publish specifications... so a measurement or variety of, can be used to verify...."

Of course you would write that. 

You are mentioned in one of his YouTube videos.

So it would be difficult for you to write impartially about ASR... obviously. People can see and appreciate this. No matter how a defence is spun.

What is actually strange is people in this thread having an issue with ASR because he doesn't do enough subjective impressions. When all of us enjoying this hobby have been fortunately blessed to have our own ears to listen and form our own impressions...

3 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Just because you’re paranoid doesn’t mean they aren’t after you. 

Lol interesting way to (try to) change the discussion.

You should have locked the thread the first time I asked , wayyy back ;-)

I even gave you the last word back then !

2 minutes ago, asdf1000 said:

Lol interesting way to (try to) change the discussion.

You should have locked the thread the first time I asked , wayyy back ;-)

I even gave you the last word back then !

I’m not changing it at all. I think your crusade runs much deeper than you admit to. 

If you truly just wanted to make sure manufacturers were honest with specs, then you’d have given up years ago because the instances of discrepancies are few and far between. It’s like your chasing nonexistent voter fraud, but in reality you have another motive. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I’m not changing it at all. I think your crusade runs much deeper than you admit to. 

If you truly just wanted to make sure manufacturers were honest with specs, then you’d have given up years ago because the instances of discrepancies are few and far between. It’s like your chasing nonexistent voter fraud, but in reality you have another motive. 

Wow. 

This is definitely a disappointing attempted change in direction for you.

I expected better from the forum boss to be honest.

8 minutes ago, asdf1000 said:

Wow. 

This is definitely a disappointing attempted change in direction for you.

I expected better from the forum boss to be honest.

I’m just addressing what you’ve copy and pasted a zillion times. 

Your crusade to “keep the manufacturers honest” is strange to me and doesn’t add up to me. just because you say it over and over doesn’t make it true and doesn’t mean it can breeze by unchallenged. 

If you had many examples of manufacturer dishonesty, then I’d support this 100%. You can like measurements all you want. No problem from me. I just have an issue when your reasons don’t add up for me. 

Just now, The Computer Audiophile said:

If you had many examples of manufacturer dishonesty, then I’d support this 100%.

Ah so you conveniently ignored the Schiit Audio example (early on)?

Kudos to them recently though. They've been posting their own APx555 measurements a while now on their own website.

And sending stuff to ASR recently.

Forgetting about ASR completely - one thing you ignored was the gazzilion times I said I'd love for more manufacturers to post their own set of measurements. Nothing to do with ASR. And you wonder why I need to repeat things. You deliberately ignore points and then question the same points.

Rob Watts posted his APx555 Chord Mojo measurements on release, which were quite different to ASR's later (I think he'd just gotten his APx555 at that point). In this case I have no reason to question the designer's own measurements. He was one of the first in Europe to own that model and Amir had just gotten it.

Rob Watts saw ASR Mojo measurements and effectively said something like (paraphrasing here): "I don't know what he's doing but it doesn't bode well that his measurements are nothing like my own APx555 measurements".

This is why I'd love to see manufacturers post their own measurements.

In this case, Rob had the data for all to see to backup his comment. Not just words but his own measurements.

I love my Mojo and Hugo2.

19 minutes ago, asdf1000 said:

Kudos to them recently though. They've been posting their own APx555 measurements a while now on their own website.

Forgetting about ASR completely - one thing you ignored was the gazzilion times I said I'd love for more manufacturers to post their own set of measurements. Nothing to do with ASR. And you wonder why I need to repeat things. You deliberately ignore points and then question the same points.

Rob Watts posted his APx555 Chord Mojo measurements on release, which were quite different to ASR's later (I think he'd just gotten his APx555 at that point). In this case I have no reason to question the designer's own measurements. He was one of the first in Europe to own that model and Amir had just gotten it.

Rob Watts saw ASR Mojo measurements and effectively said something like (paraphrasing here): "I don't know what he's doing but it doesn't bode well that his measurements are nothing like my own APx555 measurements".

In this case, Rob had the data for all to see to backup his comment. Not just words but his own measurements.

Stereophile has been measuring equipment for years and so has Soundstage, and several European magazines.

Why all this excitement with ASR?

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

11 minutes ago, semente said:

Stereophile has been measuring equipment for years and so has Soundstage, and several European magazines.

Why all this excitement with ASR?

Exactly, I mentioned being a fan of JA and DS at Soundstage just a couple pages back, way before ASR existed.

I like seeing 3rd party measurements in general but I imagine Chris is excited about ASR after being mentioned in one of the videos (link below). 

And he mentions I'm on some sort of crusade but conveniently forgets back on page 7 of this thread, I let him have the last word and asked him to close this thread (I started this thread).

He said "in reality you have another motive. Strange...

So yet another silly argument so easily dismissed.

If this is a crusade, I'm obviously the most respectful crusader going around LOL

From page 7 of this thread:

image.thumb.png.3abdca284e3c61c83b7e61980818f70b.png

3 minutes ago, semente said:

I was referring to your own excitement regarding ASR.

I asked for this thread to be closed 11 pages ago so... 

Chris wanted to it kept open so who is most excited? Or on the defensive...

As as mentioned at least a dozen times in this thread:

image.thumb.png.89539d7bbc0d508691acd14122601c9f.png

49 minutes ago, asdf1000 said:

You have one example, and it has driven you to go on for 11 pages?

Seriously, everyone wants honest manufacturers. Your guise of keeping them honest is a bit disingenuous it seems. 

Don’t you think it’s a bit over the top, given that it’s really a nonexistent issue? 

Do all the measurements you want, cool with me. Just don’t pretend there’s voter fraud / manufacturer fraud. 

27 minutes ago, asdf1000 said:

but I imagine Chris is excited about ASR after being mentioned in one of the videos (link below). 

The only reason I know I was mentioned is because people said I was. I have no clue what was said and honestly don’t care. If I cared about what people say about me online, I wouldn’t be in this business. 

5 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Your guise of keeping them honest is a bit disingenuous it seems. 

Ok this is the path you wanted to go.

Your guise of trying to defend against Amir's comments about you and your forum sponsors is disingenuous it seems.

No matter how you spin it.

We can both agree to disagree on it.

8 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Your guise of keeping them honest is a bit disingenuous it seems. 

Yes this is the comment from a disingenuous person, 11 pages ago:

Hilarious. Still waiting for a valid comment from you.

Give you examples and you just ask for more examples.

image.thumb.png.3abdca284e3c61c83b7e61980818f70b.png

@asdf1000 I just looked for the Schiit audio example in this thread and I found nothing that suggests the product didn't do what Schiit said it did. Honestly, can you link to it for slow people like me? I'm trying to understand your angle and want to see one example of where a company said one thing, and this was proven wrong.

14 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

@asdf1000 I just looked for the Schiit audio example in this thread and I found nothing that suggests the product didn't do what Schiit said it did. Honestly, can you link to it for slow people like me? I'm trying to understand your angle and want to see one example of where a company said one thing, and this was proven wrong.

Can't link to ASR on your forum but have a look on ASR for Modi 1 , as one example.

You ignored (conveniently) a lot of previous examples when you asked for examples, so I'm not spending much energy to help someone with selective hearing.

image.png.eb5e1265d821cb1f6edf558ef53f4053.png