IGNORED

Master Clock for your EtherREGEN

34 minutes ago, PYP said:

Since Alex is busy with a thriving business and mentioned the mini-circuits low pass filter might not be his first priority, I ordered one from mini-circuits, specifically BLP-10.7-75+ Lumped LC Low Pass Filter, DC - 11 MHz, 75Ω to use with my Cybershaft.  

If you are in the US, the price is $36.45 + $12.31 ground Fedex = less than $50.

Puzzled about how you managed that since:

a) The 75-Ohm version BLP-10.7-75+ is currently a non-catalog item on their web site with no AddToCart button; But the 50-Ohm BLP-10.7+ will work just as well, even with 75-Ohm clock, EtherREGEN, and cable--or all mismatched. Referencing our paper, that's the whole point of putting this at the EtherREGEN's clock input, end of a noisy sine wave. The impedance and cable stuff cease to matter. 

b) I believe Mini-Circuits has a $50 minimum order (before shipping or sales tax).

20 hours ago, Clockmeister said:

Genuine REAL world ultra low noise phase clocks that are really -120 @ 1Hz and have long term stability and those that do will have an oven or the very top oscillators will have a double oven possibly.

Aren't those double-ovens more for long term frequency stability and not so much for the benefit of phase-noise?

By the way, while that Holzworth looks like a nice machine (about $40K), it seems the less than half the price Jackson Labs PhaseStation (by John Miles of TimePod fame) which John bought last year has a much lower phase-noise measurement floor at low offsets 1Hz~10Hz):

http://www.jackson-labs.com/assets/uploads/main/53100A_introduction_1pg_revF.pdf 

https://www.holzworth.com/Portals/0/HA7062C_Web_Datasheet.pdf

Good chance your machine runs the cross-correlations faster though. :D

Cheers to you David,

--Alex C.

5 hours ago, LowMidHigh said:

You're endorsing their 75 ohm cable, but do you happen to know its attenuation? According to John, that's the most important measurement for a good ref clock cable. The fact their website lacks that information makes me wonder. 

Just a recap regarding clock cables:

—Really low attenuation across a broadband is most important only for square wave clocks; does not matter for sine wave clocks. And impedance matching matters.

—Really great shielding—with a semi-rigid tube being best—is most all that matters for a sine wave clock; and not even very much if the filter is used at the target device end.

And impedance matching does not matter with sine wave clocks. 

:D

Hey gents:

As we have explained several times, the impedance of the Mini-Circuits filter does not matter for this application with sine wave clock. Buy and use whichever one you can get! B|

I we were not so busy here I’d order 100 pieces and resell them as a service to UpTone clients since I can ship around the world for just $13 (First Class Airmail) or with some faster and slightly more expensive FedEx or Priority Mail options.

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

However the EtherRegen stops working after a few minutes in this setup. So I need to pull power cable quite often. Setting it back to internal clock is OK. Or removing the splitter I think.

Must be something about either the splitter, interaction with the SU-2, or just a slight cable problem.  When run from an external clock EtherREGEN does not tolerate even the most brief hiccup in the clock.  That is what is happening and that is why you need to repower.  

Work on your set up a bit and you will likely cure the issue.

• 3 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, LewinskiH01 said:

Does anybody know/measured if the Ghent E07 Belden 1694A BNC 75Ω Coax Cable is a genuine 75 Ohm, good cable for BG7BTL?

If you follow our guidelines--especially when it comes to the BG7TBL clock--then you really don't need to worry about the impedance of that cable.

a) Do not use the square wave output of the BG7TBL--it is lousy. Use the sine wave output.

b) With sine wave clock you do not need to be concerned with clock/cable/device impedance matching.

c) Get the Mini-Circuits 11MHz low-pass filter we recommend and put that right at the BNC input of the EtherREGEN.

(https://www.minicircuits.com/WebStore/dashboard.html?model=BLP-10.7%2B or

https://www.adark.co/collections/project-giesemann-ocxo/products/mini-circuits-blp-10-7-low-pass-filter-for-giesemann-clock-group-buy-for-audiophilestyle-com)

Read:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, R1200CL said:

I’m planning to verify my clocks. I don’t have access a Symmetricom 5125A. I know the Symmetricom 5125A can be rented. Not an option for me. 

My question to the community is if the HP4395A is sufficient ?

https://www.digchip.com/datasheets/download_datasheet.php?id=2844459&part-number=4395A

I also have access to HP3563A and HP4195A, but I think the HP / Agilent 4395A is my best option.

You'll not get phase-noise plots out of those general-purpose spectrum analyzers.

Besides, each of your AfterDark clocks came with a individual phase-noise plot already. What more do you need?

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, LewinskiH01 said:

Upon turning on the LPS the led goes from red to orange and when it wants to turn green the power and alarm leds on the BG7BTL blink briefly and go off and the led on LPS blinks red, and this cycle continues for as long as keep the LPS on.

The UltraCap LPS-1.2 is simply reporting that the connect load (your clock) is exceeding the LPS-1.2’s 1.14A limit.

The BG7TBL clocks vary in their circuitry and OCXO used, so that explains why some people have been able to power theirs with an LPS1.2.

By the way, it I s during initial power-on—when the clock oven is heating up—that the most current is drawn. The load settles down quite a bit after a while.