IGNORED

Discussion of the UpTone / J.Swenson EtherREGEN 'white paper'

On 3/12/2020 at 10:47 AM, JohnSwenson said:

Correct, I'm working on DAC output as well. None of this stuff is easy. We are trying to measure a DAC output using ADCs, to do that requires an ADC that has lower clock jitter than the DAC we are trying to measure, this is NOT easy to do! The off the shelf audio analyzers are nowhere near close enough. So as with everything else related to this I have to make my own. It's not easy and it's not cheap.

I have something up and running which still needs a lot of more work to lower ADC jitter and prevent external signals from getting in, but it DOES actually get signal through. Maybe within the next week I'll try it with real audio DACs and see how things are at this point in the development process.

My ultimate goal is to show the whole process from ground plane noise, to DAC clock jitter to DAC analog output.

I WILL get there, but it is going to take a significant amount of time to get there.

John S.

great work John!

a big step in the right direction.

Image result for what do we want evidence based science

26 minutes ago, Confused said:

@David A - there is certainly some evidence that you quoted the wrong person in the post above.   🙂  Maybe you were confused?  Oh hang on, maybe that’s me?  

You're right. Many thanks for a good peer review process.

Don't know how it happened but I was responding to the post by @cat6man with the T-shirt photo.

You couldn't possibly be confused  🙂

8 minutes ago, David A said:

You couldn't possibly be confused  🙂

Quite correct.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

2 hours ago, Superdad said:

Well David, given the length of your post and its long paragraphs I found I had to sit about 3 feet away to read it. Just another data point from 57 year old eyes. O.o

I'm 72 and I sit a lot closer to my screen that 3 feet. My recommendations, given my background in eyesight and computer use:

1- get a bigger screen which will make the type bigger,

2- change your browser settings so it uses a larger font size if the browser has such a setting,

3- get your eyes tested and see if you need spectacles or a new prescription.

🙂

Shunyata do make good stuff. I use some of their power cables.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/17/2020 at 5:12 PM, Puma Cat said:

Great post. 

I'll just add some additional info for context here. In the medical imaging arena, where the products of Shunyata Research's sister company, Clear Image Scientific, have developed a range of products that have been a breakthrough in digital medical imaging, the doctors who use these products don't get into "arguments" about whether a power can make a difference, because....they use these products to save people's lives. 

Not sure ablation is "saving peoples lives", a little emotional. Looking at your kit, you've already bought off on the theory. 

I assume that noise reduction occurs after the AC has entered the hifi gear. A lot happens when converting to DC and after, I'm not absolutely convinced that the noise makes it through.

I would assume hospitals are noisy places when it come to interference, both RFI etc plus the amount of electrical gear plugged into their AC. 

Unconvinced personally. I wonder whether the hospital were enriched for this.

2 hours ago, Tintinabulum said:

Unconvinced personally. I wonder whether the hospital were enriched for this.

surely you can appreciate that doctors will be able to hear heartbeats with extended frequency range and transparency...

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

On 3/16/2020 at 10:35 PM, David A said:

What is "evidence based science?

Thank you David! Once in a while there are real world gems to read here amongst all the noise. This is one of them - thanks for posting.

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

19 hours ago, Tintinabulum said:

Another Shunyata user! Well invested there... Not much science in there.

Not much science in there:  a great way of describing an approach to evaluating their products that doesn't include actually trying them.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

I read the Shunyata explanation of how it works. It made big assumptions, leaps from one thing to another. I would listen but I need an explanation of what’s going on first. As I said lots of stuff happens after the AC, it’s a big leap to say the noise goes straight through everything. Their explanation isn’t credible, they also selling rediculously expensive products and gimmicky stuff. Not enough credibility there to try them, plenty other things to try first...

One obvious point which is not mentioned in the white paper is the influence of the "player" in all this. The Ether Regen addresses ONLY the signal coming into the player (itself connected to the DAC). The paper is written as if the ER solves all issues related to jitter and leakage current, and is therefore misleading in my opinion.

There are those who insist the ER does nothing, those who claim the ER transforms their system, and all those in between. Perhaps there is an explanation for this, something else that does not ressemble a political debate? 

One obvious point which is not mentioned in the white paper is the influence of the "player" in all this. The Ether Regen addresses ONLY the signal coming into the player (itself connected to the DAC). The paper is written as if the ER solves all issues related to jitter and leakage current, and is therefore misleading in my opinion.

The White Paper has to be about what the ER does into a networked device. I don’t see how it can discuss the competencies of the machine a user might then choose to use with it. Any device can only deal with what it encounters, and any designer can only speak to that. So obviously in the context of an entire end to end system the white paper is incomplete. But I am not seeing too many papers describing what might be happening upstream and down, and that certainly isn’t the responsibility of Uptone is it?

3 hours ago, Cable Monkey said:

The White Paper has to be about what the ER does into a networked device. I don’t see how it can discuss the competencies of the machine a user might them choose to use with it. Any device can only deal with what it encounters, and any designer can only speak to that. So obviously in the context of an entire end to end system the white paper is incomplete. But I am not seeing too many papers describing what might be happening upstream and down, and that certainly isn’t the responsibility of Uptone is it?

This is what Uptone claims, on their website: "In development for nearly two years, this revolutionary and sophisticated Ethernet switch is capable of producing surprisingly audible sonic improvements in fine music systems"

So the issue is clearly about what happens to the system as a whole, and Uptone is making claims concerning this. 

But we are talking about the white paper here. Is the white paper actually incorrect or are you challenging the whole spectrum of information about this product? The paper is written about what the company claims the the ER can do, and if it can do those things then there may be an impact system wide. That impact should vary from no impact due to how effective the streamer is all the way to no impact because the streamer is completely rubbish and undoes any benefits of the ER. In between should be a group of devices that benefit and that benefit should be system wide.