IGNORED

Discussion of the UpTone / J.Swenson EtherREGEN 'white paper'

6 minutes ago, Cable Monkey said:

But we are talking about the white paper here. Is the white paper actually incorrect or are you challenging the whole spectrum of information about this product? The paper is written about what the company claims the the ER can do, and if it can do those things then there may be an impact system wide. That impact should vary from no impact due to how effective the streamer is all the way to no impact because the streamer is completely rubbish and undoes any benefits of the ER. In between should be a group of devices that benefit and that benefit should be system wide.

When reading the white paper, one can have the impression that the ER solves everything related to jitter and leakage current. That's all I am saying. 

... and when reading a dishwasher's user manual one can have the impression that only problem on Earth is dirty dishes 😄

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

On 3/10/2020 at 5:17 PM, Superdad said:

So in an effort to educate and shed some light on a few of the factors involved, we are presenting what we hope is an easy to digest introduction to the subjects of ground-plane noise, threshold jitter, and leakage currents—and why they matter and have an effect on various receiver chips and the DAC itself

Look, its not complicated to understand: at the end of the day, we all agree on the fact that all these factors are important. And we all agree on the fact that we want the DAC to be immune to them. I applaud what Uptone has done. But there is a lot more going on than what has been described in the white paper, unfortunately.

To take your washing machine analogy - using clean water is certainly better, no one is going to argue with that ! 

26 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Is it only me or does the word few mean less than every?

Correct. Hence the 30 day money back guarantee... 

The key point is "why they matter and have an effect on various receiver chips and the DAC itself"... 

If there was nothing else going on between the ethernet receiver and the DAC that would be obvious, but it is far from the case. I think every one agrees on this, but once again, I think it should be clearly stated.

I can't claim to truly understand the technical points made, but I am interested to see if other manufacturers find that John's technical explanation and, when ready, his measurements, are compelling enough to pursue their own version of the eR.  Looking at how the USB regen market has grown, it does seems likely.  Of course, competition is good and leads to further innovation.  That said, the benefits of the current eR and the amount of technology packed into its small chassis should make it the benchmark at its price point (total conjecture, of course).  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

11 hours ago, hopkins said:

Correct. Hence the 30 day money back guarantee... 

The key point is "why they matter and have an effect on various receiver chips and the DAC itself"... 

If there was nothing else going on between the ethernet receiver and the DAC that would be obvious, but it is far from the case. I think every one agrees on this, but once again, I think it should be clearly stated.

I'm sorry Hopkins, but I can't see the logic of your post.

In the paragraph you quoted above, Alex was introducing a few of the factors, not all of the factors, that are impacted by the ER. What do these have to do with a money back guarantee?

There is no claim or implication that the ER solves all sound quality ills. One merely has to look at the Uptone website to see other devices designed to solve issues in different  parts of the system chain.

What am I missing?

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

• 3 months later...

Any thoughts re: this new entry in the audiophile switch race?

https://englishelectric.uk/

I think they are a Chord company subsidiary.

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates

The English Electric 8Switch retails for £450.

https://www.the-ear.net/review-hardware/english-electric-8switch-network-switch

Al J.

Modem/router + Keces DC-116 12V LPS - SGC Sonic Transporter + Sonore 12V LPS/Edwards Audio ISO-1 mains isolation transformer - Meicord Opal LAN cables - Aqvox Switch + Sbooster 9V LPS/Uptone LPS-1 - Etalon Isolator - Sonore Signature Rendu Special Edition + Mad Scientist Heretical USB data-only cable - Sonore Ultradigital + Uptone LPS-1 - PS Audio I2S-12 cable - HQ Player - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC -  iPeng on iPad 2 - MK Sound 300 monitors - Mad Audio Scientist Tungsten Carbide footers - Niels Larsen NLE speaker cables - Walker Audio Reference Plus HIGH Definition Links - 2 MK Sound MX350 subs - Shakti Stones - Herbie's Super Sonic Stabilizers - Herbie's Tenderfeet - Stillpoints ERS EMI/RFI sheets - Gutwire Ultimate Ground + Entreq Minimus + Silver Minimus grounding boxes - Symposium Rollerblocks - Symposium Ultra platform - Akiko Tuning Sticks

Thanks for laying bare the reality of this switch.  Not a surprise, since Chord wouldn't even put their name on it.  And it's not something they have any obvious expertise in designing.  I'd guess that the aging Cisco 2960 would easily outpace this one, at a significantly lower price on eBay @ $39.99 used in good condition. 😝

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates

10 minutes ago, stevebythebay said:

Thanks for laying bare the reality of this switch.  Not a surprise, since Chord wouldn't even put their name on it.  And it's not something they have any obvious expertise in designing.

Steve, I think you may be mixing up Chord Electronics Ltd. (the DAC people) with The Chord Company (makers of cables). Both hail from the UK, but it is the latter who created the brand English Electric to market the Thunder Data developed switch.

10 minutes ago, stevebythebay said:

I'd guess that the aging Cisco 2960 would easily outpace this one, at a significantly lower price on eBay @ $39.99 used in good condition. 😝

Well there sure is a boatload more engineering and chips on a typical Cisco Catalyst, that much is certain:

973CD146-1B21-4676-B7D5-E9956430888F.jpeg.0073a3f7271f16310924693e35e2fc78.jpeg

9 hours ago, stevebythebay said:

Thanks for laying bare the reality of this switch.  Not a surprise, since Chord wouldn't even put their name on it.  And it's not something they have any obvious expertise in designing.  I'd guess that the aging Cisco 2960 would easily outpace this one, at a significantly lower price on eBay @ $39.99 used in good condition. 😝

Big thread on this switch over on the Naim forum. Most say it bests the Cisco (lots of 2960 users there). Worth checking out (and I know my main newer 2960 16 port gigabyte stays - went with that and an opticalModule to opticalrendu solution instead and perfectly happy with the sound). 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

On 3/10/2020 at 5:17 PM, Superdad said:

He is working on the graph axis and legends and he will present these and discuss the measurement system in the coming weeks.

Do you think sometime this year ?

Is COVID 19 affecting you and especially John’s schedule ?

I was discussing some upgrades with Theta/ ATI, and they said they are several months behind cause of this pandemic. But I guess this has a lot to do with the supply chain.

6 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Do you think sometime this year ?

Hard to say. John is always working on several projects at a time (for both UpTone and Sonore), and we are not going to let anything get in the way of new product development.

Is COVID 19 affecting you and especially John’s schedule ?

Well it is no piece of cake for anyone. :( 

Orders have been way up all through this year, so I have no complaints there--other than not getting any breaks to reach out much to friends and family. Production-wise we have seen some delays but I have been ordering parts far enough in advance to not affect product delivery to our clients.

As for John, Covid19 has taken a lot of his time away from projects in recent months as he has been instrumental in building an advanced live A/V conferencing system for his church congregation to adapt to our social distancing world. But he finished up most of that recently and has been back in his lab and quite productive the past few weeks.

I was discussing some upgrades with Theta/ ATI, and they said they are several months behind cause of this pandemic. But I guess this has a lot to do with the supply chain.

Well some of the long lead time chips we use on the EtherREGEN still seem to have about the same long lead times. I've been lucky so far but I'm sure some shortage will bite us one of these days! x-D

• 2 years later...