IGNORED

Discussion of the UpTone / J.Swenson EtherREGEN 'white paper'

Hi guys,

Here is dumb question number one and two!

The paper states that the clock timing is the same regardless of "noise".

Understanding that, if the state change threshold is at 2 volts and the ground pane noise pushes the threshold voltage to 2.1 volts, won't a 2 volt "bit" go undetected? Likewise, assuming the noise can also lower the threshold, to say 1.9 volts, could not "bits" be detected that don't exist?

Just curious.

Larry

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

1 hour ago, lmitche said:

Hi guys,

Here is dumb question number one and two!

The paper states that the clock timing is the same regardless of "noise".

Understanding that, if the state change threshold is at 2 volts and the ground pane noise pushes the threshold voltage to 2.1 volts, won't a 2 volt "bit" go undetected? Likewise, assuming the noise can also lower the threshold, to say 1.9 volts, could not "bits" be detected that don't exist?

Just curious.

Larry

The thresholds are usually set so they are somewhere in the middle between the low voltage and high voltage of the signal. The idea here is that there can be large amounts of noise and the "data" (the ones and zeros) still get recovered properly.

In many digital technologies the thresholds actually do change a little. In these technologies the threshold is a ratio between VSS and VDD (power and ground pins). So changes on the power pins can actually cause a change in the threshold. (there is actually a ton of stuff that can happen inside a chip, but I didn't want to get too far down THAT rabbit hole in this paper)

John S.

1 hour ago, JohnSwenson said:

The thresholds are usually set so they are somewhere in the middle between the low voltage and high voltage of the signal. The idea here is that there can be large amounts of noise and the "data" (the ones and zeros) still get recovered properly.

In many digital technologies the thresholds actually do change a little. In these technologies the threshold is a ratio between VSS and VDD (power and ground pins). So changes on the power pins can actually cause a change in the threshold. (there is actually a ton of stuff that can happen inside a chip, but I didn't want to get too far down THAT rabbit hole in this paper)

John S.

John, many thanks for the quick response. Having done many experiments, one detects patterns and your paper is consistent with observations made here.  I am grateful for your efforts, and I look forward to learning more.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Thank you for an interesting read and explanation of the issues, causes and methods used to address. However the paper would benefit from some measurements, before/after analysis of both the jitter handling and AC ground plane noise.

I understand these measurements are hard to setup and ensure are correctly showing the problem and solution, but the positioning outlined in the text would greatly gain further weight from these.

I have allowed my measurement to be the audible benefits the EtherREGEN is delivering in my system, but there are many that still don’t believe improvements can be made in this area and this method, and further ‘evidence’ is required.

Simon

13 hours ago, Superdad said:

Brilliant David. I agree with everything you just said.

John is working on both documenting his sensitive phase-noise at the DAC clock-pin test methods and on producing ground-plane noise measurements.  He has been doing measurements with this project for some time, but putting them into a form with scales and legends that are relatable for others is only now being done.  

UpTone and Sonore are pretty demanding of his time on development projects moving forward, and, as there are no direct profits from days/weeks of painstaking measurements, his time on such stays limited. It's not as if we have a whole staff of brilliant engineers. Just the one. 9_9 

Am I missing something here? The critics' demand has always been for measurements showing the analog output of the DAC is affected by the various types of noise. Showing that the noise arrives to the DAC isn't going to answer that question. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

On 3/12/2020 at 9:27 AM, Confused said:

Ah, I think I was the first one to mention expectation bias in this thread.  OK - One point to clarify, in the context of my earlier post I was referring to my own expectation bias.  So I buy an EtherRegen.  Why?  Because I think it will improve my system.  I think this because of what I have read about the EtherRegen, the concept and the technology, and by the time I actually have the EtherRegen and install it in my system, I have read quite a few positive reports from those that received one before me.  So on first use, I am both optimistic and hopeful that it will offer an improvement.  Can this influence my own expectation bias?  Maybe, I am certainly not arrogant enough to claim I am 100% immune to it.  As it happens, I was similarly optimistic when trying an AQVOX switch, but ultimately decided it was not doing anything positive for sound quality and so I returned it for a refund.  Based on this, I could claim I have the power to overcome expectation bias, how else to explain that I hear a difference with the EtherRegen but not an AQVOX switch, when in both cases I was expecting an improvement?  The thing is, human psychology is a very complex thing, the argument may seem sound but the reality is far too complex to analyse in this way.  

A lot of waffle here, but the point is exactly as @Audiophile Neuroscience is alluding to in the post above.  I know enough to doubt myself, which is why I would particularly like to see the white paper backed up by measurements.  I am genuinely looking forward to seeing the measurements, I am sure it will be fascinating. 

Hi ,

I have experienced both with aqvox se and er in my system . They both bring nice sound quality improvements but the er is clearly superior to the aqvox se .

All our audio systems are different and influenced by so many parameters that one product will not work in all systems .

This comes on top of the expectation bias .

PCserver Supermicro X11SAA under Daphile  ,Jcat pcie net card ,Etherregen,e-red dock endpoint,powered by LPS 1.2 , SPS 500 , Sean Jacobs level 3 psu,  DAC Audiomat Maestro 3, Nagra Classic Amp , Hattor passive preamplifier , Martin Logan montis

3 hours ago, jean-michel6 said:

Hi ,

I have experienced both with aqvox se and er in my system . They both bring nice sound quality improvements but the er is clearly superior to the aqvox se .

All our audio systems are different and influenced by so many parameters that one product will not work in all systems .

This comes on top of the expectation bias .

Yes, agreed.  There are far too many parameters in play to generalise about these things.  Plus, as a point to clarify I had the original AQVOX switch, maybe I would have had better results with the SE?  Hard to say, but not something I am too worried about now as I am more than happy with the EtherRegen.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.