IGNORED

Golden ears vs super scopes

ACCIDENT VICTIMS find learning to hear properly after their ear shape has been changed by surgery as difficult as learning a second language.

The brain uses the result to localise sounds, by performing a complex analysis of relative volumes and the balance of various frequencies. And usually, we only have to get used to one set of ears. Perhaps one shouldn't be so dismissive of the devoted Star Trek fans who wear pointed ears in devotion to their Vulcan hero, Mr Spock ...

"Whether or not Vulcans hear things differently (or better) than we do is hard to know," said Fred Wightman and Doris Kistler of the University of Wisconsin, in a commentary on the Dutch work. "One wonders how well Leonard Nimoy [who played Mr Spock in Star Trek] can localise sounds when he is using Spock's ears rather than his own."

No doubt it will be the first question on the agenda when Nimoy next appears at a Star Trek convention. He might, of course, choose to cup a hand to his ear and reply: "Pardon?"

ENDQUOTE

25 minutes ago, Iving said:

OK great stuff!

My emphasis would be on the "second language" aspect. We can barely imagine - literally  - the plasticity of the brain in this respect. Not to mention conditioning-history individual differences and their emotional repercussions. There is a great deal to contemplate here! Anyway, the notion that bench instruments account for everything is preposterous. And there may be something in the "golden-ears" idea. That doesn't mean that audiophiles don't ever kid themselves (cf. "cognitive dissonance"), nor that some peddlers aren't inclined to profiteer. But come on - let's be open-minded to the big picture - and keep all things in their due perspective!

Yeh as I said recently, I think people choose the paradigm that seems to make the most sense to them/us, where they feel most comfortable, perhaps where there is less cognitive dissonance

cognitive-dissonance.jpg.e9b57561b5f52f2fa40ae7127ad4b28f.jpg

Sound Minds Mind Sound

7 minutes ago, CG said:

Well, there you have it, folks.  It's all about a belief system and dogma.  Can't much have reasonable discussions over that.

I guess we already know all there is to know, and it's just a matter of spreading the word.

Well, I'm not buying it.  

But, that's just my own dogma, I guess.  It has nothing to do with "pure subjectivism" or throwing money around.  My understanding is constantly evolving, and I hope it continues to.  This is not the right place, at least for me.

So, farewell to all.  Good listening.  I mean that.

Possibility of change from participation within - if there's space for conversation - which there wasn't - but is now 😉 x

1 hour ago, CG said:

Well, there you have it, folks.  It's all about a belief system and dogma.  Can't much have reasonable discussions over that.

I guess we already know all there is to know, and it's just a matter of spreading the word.

Yes it is about belief systems and dogma. We know that. Consider that the title of this thread was selected in order to foster debate between two different POV.

Consider this thought experiment:

Imagine a measurement system which could capture the state of the gas in a defined volume. Of course the measurement system would interact with the atoms just as a microphone might affect the sound of a performance. 

Would such a state description over time define the sound which a human placed within the volume hears? (assume the state is the state of the gas/air, not the human itself)

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

On 3/2/2020 at 7:54 AM, alfe said:

:D 

AES standard in 1991

CD audio 1980 red book first edition.

Document of 22 years ago:

am.pdf 107.4 kB · 15 downloads

Still Archimago have to back up his claim.

It’s great to back up a claim with a published reference also, and here in the web, a link to a paper published on the web is perfect. 

We have more fun debating the corner cases because the easy stuff is, well, easy 😀

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't know anything about recording, so excuse me if i use incorrect terms, but...

Assuming reproduction perfection, If you have a "well done" recording that had say 20 microphones at different heights and depths and i suppose you would need 20 different channels of information for each of the microphones, how would that be composited into stereo and how would one measure for reproduction accuracy? 

I read that the human ears  exhibit a remarkable ability to separate sounds produced by multiple sources that overlap in frequency and in time, but would there be "ready" measurements available to verify accuracy of reproduction from a-d and then back to d-a in such a scenario? 

For this particular question lets just assume that noise is limited such that it is not a factor and we just want to ensure that the dac is capable of accurate reproduction. Is there any engineering or design that limits actual reproduction of what human ears have regarding "this unique capability to separate sounds produced by multiple sources that overlap in frequency and in time".

At any ONE time (no matter how small of a time slice), there is more than a "composite" where multiple sounds occur at one time. The ear has the ability to separate those 2 sounds, and i think this may be where difference of sq is realized is the ability to somehow separate multiple sounds "better", which i am not sure is measurable, or at least not what is typically measured?

11 hours ago, gmgraves said:

Conventional wisdom tells us that everything audible is measurable. However, in the 1970’s audio engineers were absolutely convinced of this, and tended to ignore  audiophiles’ complaints that transistor amps sounded awful. Then Danish engineer Matti Otola discovered Transient Intermodulation Distortion (TIM) and another audio engineer discovered Slew Induced Distortion (SID). Neither of these were known at the time. But they both changed the way solid-state amps were designed. Designers reduced (and sometimes completely eliminated the overall negative feedback that was the bread and butter of vacuum tube amplifier design since time immemorial. This reduced or eliminated TIM, and the introduction of faster acting transistors and operational amplifiers took care of SID. Today, both of these characteristics are well understood and are the cornerstones of high-end solid state design. 
So, it’s safe to say that it is probably a big mistake to assume, in this day and time, that, everything we hear we can measure. That philosophy has been found wanting before, and likely will again... 

That's how its supposed to work ... it wasn't that TIM wasn't measurable, it just hadn't been. Careful measurements demonstrated TIM etc.

Again just because you didn't happen to measure something doesn't mean that thing couldn't be measured.

Indeed from @Allan F favorite subjectivist engineer ( ;) ) https://proaudiodesignforum.com/images/pdf/Leinonen_Otala_Curl_TIM_Measurement.pdf

1 hour ago, jabbr said:

That's how its supposed to work ... it wasn't that TIM wasn't measurable, it just hadn't been. Careful measurements demonstrated TIM etc.

It was not a case of TIM "just hadn't been" measured. It could not possibly have been measured before it was discovered by Danish engineer Matti Otola. Therefore, in any meaningful sense, it was not measurable. To quote the previous poster, "You are playing a semantic game". :)

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

47 minutes ago, SoundAndMotion said:

Most answers were of the form: "I know I'm not wrong, so the question doesn't make sense". For both groups, the answer of the hardcore will be: nothing!

That is called religion.

47 minutes ago, SoundAndMotion said:

You're playing a semantic game with the meaning of "can". Does it mean "possible" or "able" (now). With your definition, I'd be able to say:

I can speak Russian. I can practice law. I can go to the moon. 

No semantic games. Just because you personally can't measure something doesn't mean that it is unmeasurable (by someone else) ... ditto, so Russian is speakable, Law is practicable and travelling to the moon is possible, just like measuring things ;) 

48 minutes ago, SoundAndMotion said:

-Perceptual limits is my field. Do we know some (specifically defined) audibility limits? Yes. Do we know all that are necessary to understand perception of reproduced music and the ability of current equipment to do "well"? I don't know, but my experience tells me to truly doubt it.

Then I trust you understand that a microscope and telescope extend the perceptual limits of the eye, and do amplifiers extend the sensory limits of the ear. An oscilloscope extends the frequency response of the ear upward and similarly the amplitude sensitivity. Shall we continue?

20 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

Assuming reproduction perfection, If you have a "well done" recording that had say 20 microphones at different heights and depths and i suppose you would need 20 different channels of information for each of the microphones, how would that be composited into stereo and how would one measure for reproduction accuracy?

To measure for reproduction accuracy you use test signals.

A stereo mix is not real stereo, which requires 1-mic to 1-channel to 1-speaker, center mic to center speaker, left front mic to left front speaker, etc.

A stereo mix is a colage, can be amazing but never truly realistic:

ztA3Ohu.jpg

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

2 hours ago, SoundAndMotion said:

-Perceptual limits is my field. Do we know some (specifically defined) audibility limits? Yes. Do we know all that are necessary to understand perception of reproduced music and the ability of current equipment to do "well"? I don't know, but my experience tells me to truly doubt it.

1 hour ago, jabbr said:

Then I trust you understand that a microscope and telescope extend the perceptual limits of the eye, and do amplifiers extend the sensory limits of the ear. An oscilloscope extends the frequency response of the ear upward and similarly the amplitude sensitivity. Shall we continue?

Ah! You added something.

We should continue... until you make a point. Did i miss it? Extending perceptual limits along one conceptual dimension (e.g. seeing distant things or very small things) does not extend all limits. Even mentioning both telescope and microscope show that; also neither one extends my ability to read a paperback as well as reading glasses.

Yes, I don't see how what you write answers what I wrote... I must not have been clear. Probably not worth the effort for either of us.