IGNORED

Golden ears vs super scopes

There are two different approaches to obtain obtain objective information:

a) Double blinded tests of two components using so-called "golden eared" individuals.

b) Equipment based measurements, high resolution scopes which can measure picovolts and femtoseconds.

Do we believe that everything audible is measurable? Do we know the audibility limits? Which data sways subjectivists (if any)? Which data sways objectivists?

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

1 hour ago, jabbr said:

a) Double blinded tests of two components using so-called "golden eared" individuals.

b) Equipment based measurements, high resolution scopes which can measure picovolts and femtoseconds.

Do we believe that everything audible is measurable? Do we know the audibility limits? Which data sways subjectivists (if any)? Which data sways objectivists?

Why bias the dbx tests with "golden eared" individuals? ☺️

mQa is dead!

1 hour ago, lucretius said:

Why bias the dbx tests with "golden eared" individuals? ☺️

I didn't check into the test that was mentioned, but on any moderatly noisy tape deck & DBX, even  I could EASILY hear the noise modulation.  That was one of the big disadvantages of DBX.   There were other secondary issues like transient problems, but I don't truly know if they are a problem in reality.   I couldn't use DBX back in the past because my very good hearing at the time ,and the noise modulation was too obvious to be limited to 'golden ears'.

I am very very busy right now, but I have an interesting technical report on NR systems that I'll post later.   The report had objective information and used 'scopes a lot to show the dynamics behavior.  (The test I am thinking about was DBXI, DolbyA and TelcomC4.)   Give me a day or so -- super, mega busy!!!   Not that the paper is directly applicable to the specifc issue, but might have interesting background info on the matter.

John

7 hours ago, jabbr said:

... 😂

24 minutes ago, CG said:

In addition, gear is measured under ideal conditions.  By that I mean, without other audio components attached to it.  The current loops and other limitations caused by connecting all these audio components through random cabling and attached to random electrical supplies certainly must cause disturbances in real world gear.

Absolutely. That’s stress testing.

One example of mine: I set up a Raspberry Pi with a standard RPi SMPS and WiFi streaming to a a few DACs with and without the Uptone ISO Regen... Without doing detailed measurements I was trying to create a high EMI, high jitter situation where I expect the ISO Regen to shine...

a) With the iFi iMicro (+\- BL) I couldn’t hear an ISO Regen effect after months of listening.

b) The Topping D7x had  clicks and pops either way (AC powered)

c) The Pro-Ject S2D had clicks and hum when fed directly from the RPi but a great sound when fed from the Regen. (USB bus powered)

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

17 hours ago, jabbr said:

...Do we believe that everything audible is measurable? Do we know the audibility limits? Which data sways subjectivists (if any)? Which data sways objectivists?

I don't know if everything that is audile can be measured or what audibility limits exist. I believe that there are many kinds of subjectivists and many kinds of objectivists.

I have saved tons of money as a poor audiophile subjectivist because I don't go by measurements alone. For example: if there are two audio components, one with better specifications than the other, and the one with the worst specifications is 1/3 the price I will try that one first, more times that not I am satisfied with the less expensive one.

I'm not really swayed by data as long as the specifications are decent. For examples: I would never pay over $1,000 for any audio component and I would prefer to pay $200 - $500. I would never spend more than $50 for any cable and would prefer to spend $20 instead.

So the way I see it there are budget subjectivists that only slightly compare specifications. If they are the same price I tend to try with the better specifications first. But if the specifications are close I would go with the cheapest one. And I want equipment to last many decades, and I don't replace anything until it breaks and cost too much to repair.

Then there are spend thrift subjectivists in which price is not a concern, many of them believe the higher the price the better the sound. While I have heard many super expensive excellent sounding components the two times I went CES. Once when I sold audio equipment at the Good Guys and later when I was a reviewer at Positive Feedback. I would never lay down that kind of cash.

I would guess that most subjectivists are somewhere in-between. I would also guess there is also a wide divide among objectivists.

Not worrying too much about specifications and auditioning affordable components by ear has saved me a ton of money.

BTW my ears are pink like the rest of my body. 😀

I believe no one hears music the same and everyone's ear / brain system only apply's to them and no one else, so I don't believe in the concept of golden ears.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

7 hours ago, Archimago said:

As for whether instruments capture "everything". I believe the answer is clearly a yes.

Hi Archi

I believe believe is a good choice of words.

There are anomalies that  measurement devices can easily pick up which ears will miss...

If so, it doesn't follow that the converse is not true

So long as there is an ideal which the output of a device can be compared to, instruments can make that determination way better than ears.

How do you know. Evidence?

Sound Minds Mind Sound

12 minutes ago, jabbr said:

That is most certainly not you ... @sandyk gets high levels of jitter around XX and communication bandwidth drops to 0 😂

I don't think @The Computer Audiophile permits @sandyk to post in objective-Fi otherwise, having met me, he could testify that this is my true likeness....down to the last measurement! 🤣

Sound Minds Mind Sound

3 hours ago, lucretius said:

First, you'd have the problem of identifying them.

Perhaps - but it really depends what you want to demonstrate, and your hypothesis / research question is framed accordingly.

e.g. #1 - A sample of 100 self-identified "golden-eared" audiophiles were tested to establish whether they could discriminate (music-relevant stimulus) A from B ...

e.g. #2 - A random sample of 500 adults were given a musical nuance test to establish what proportion (if any) could be identified as "golden-eared" so defined ...

etc etc

As in the spiritual life the scientist may find sooner or later what she or he is looking for.

Subject of course to methodological rigour ...

and p (reliability or reproducibility) ...

19 minutes ago, Iving said:

it really depends what you want to demonstrate, and your hypothesis / research question is framed accordingly.

Yes I agree. Toole (I am not his greatest fan but) already compared experienced listeners with non experienced and found that they came to much the same conclusions. The experienced listeners were just better at doing it, more consistent and more definite.

The suggestion IIRC was that you needed fewer experienced/trained listeners to yield a statistically significant result.

Sound Minds Mind Sound