IGNORED

DIY Project High Performance Audio PC with high quality wiring

23 minutes ago, dminches said:

Are you still using 2 Keces P8s?

Yes. Both driven with HQPlayer DSD 256x48, convolution and EC-Modulator now about 2 x 20V/1,7A. One Keces P8 ist good, two are better. 😄

19 hours ago, sandyk said:

There will only be a benefit to doing this with the Molex connectors if both Male and Female use gold plated contacts

I agree that this would be optimal. For this reason Bernd wanted to solder the cable directly to the mainboard and to do without Molex plug / socket altogether. Maybe we'll do that too.

At the moment it is a compromise. A high-quality cable should at least have a high-quality connector. And we will test whether it works. 🙂

2.4 Music player/renderer

An Audio PC is so flexible that any software, whether operating system or music player, can be tried out and used. The model and software presented here therefore describes only one of the many possible ways. 

In a 2 box system I prefer the variant that the highest computing power is provided by the Audio PC. Here the Control PC runs 24h as a music server (NAS) and consumes low computing power. As a Control PC, for example, a somewhat older and perhaps already existing model can be used. For music operation, the Audio PC is switched on and renders the data in best resolution and sends it to the DAC without any interference.

fis-Audio-PC-Musicplayer-Renderer-1024x5

Roon is the first to be used. The software can be divided into three parts:

1. Roon Core
In the model above, the Roon server is installed on the Control PC. Headless, i.e. without graphical display, Roon works in the background and regularly scans the assigned hard disks for music files and automatically assigns them according to the stored database by music genres, artists, etc. Without DSP (Digital Signal Processor), i.e. without upsampling, room correction, etc., the computing load during music operation is extremely low, for example on an Intel Core i7 7700T (4x2.9GHz) with 1% CPU load. The load increases when new music files are scanned.

2. Roon Control
The Roon Server must of course be able to be operated. This can be done easily with apps that run on the smartphone, tablet computer or laptop. Which is just at hand. It is important that the music is always streamed from the Roon Server. With Roon Control, only the operation is actually carried out, so that the music transmission is always optimally maintained, even in the event of malfunctions in the Roon app. 

3. Roon Output
The music data is sent to the fis Audio PC via a special protocol RAAT (Roon Advanced Audio Transport).

4. HQPlayer
The fis Audio PC can render the music data for the DAC in highest quality, for example with the HQPlayer, without being disturbed by other applications. It would also be possible to use the Roon Bridge instead. In my experience, however, the increase in SQ is enormous with HQPlayer, provided the Audio PC has the necessary processing power. 

27 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

What’s your industry affiliation?

I'm a banker. 😉Bernd is a sound engineer.

8 minutes ago, ASRMichael said:

When’s the JCAT ethernet XE coming out?

I don't know. Ask Marcin from JCAT. 

2 hours ago, WilliamWykeham said:

My issue is that my CPU temperature is pushing 95C when upsampling to DSD256, ASDM7EC, while StreamFidelity’s temp was reported in the low 50s.

Was the thermal paste compound also applied to the solid copper block? I didn't use the paste from HDPLEX. 

Maybe it is not a problem of assemblings, but of the settings in BIOS? My overclocking ends at 4.1GHz. Which consumers are still active on maindboard? SATA drives for example draw a lot of power. I have deactivated this. 

Such a remote diagnosis is difficult. The temperature should not go that high. 

13 hours ago, WilliamWykeham said:

I noticed in Task Manger that while a Roon window was active, the “3D” GPU graph would show 50%.  

Is the graphics driver up-to-date? How many processes are displayed in the Task Manager? Check Latencymon to see if audio can be executed without interference. 😉

13 hours ago, WilliamWykeham said:

I have 70 processes running after AO and your recommendations.  

It's already looking very good. 👍

I prefer the 2 box implementation. Roon consumes very few resources and can therefore be run on a NAS. This brings a lot of silence to my system.

14 hours ago, WilliamWykeham said:

Im leaning toward a fresh install from the start with Windows

You have big problems. NT Kernel can be anything. I'm afraid you'll have to reinstall if you don't want to spend hours looking for the problem. Then try it first without AO.

Are there still temperature problems? Does the CPU really sit firmly in the socket? I would go through that again and above all distribute the heat paste correctly.

18 hours ago, Nenon said:

This is turning out really nice. 

Thank you! 

I sawed off the metal web above on the back plate, so the PCIe cards can be replaced quite easily. 😁

56 minutes ago, Gavin1977 said:

Any Intel equivalent for @StreamFidelity's 9900k?

On ASUS mainboards there are settings for the maximum power:

- I have the power consumption at 120W with max. 160W limited

Other possible settings support this:

- Set all cores to a CPU fixed frequency, for me 4.1GHz has proven itself.
- The CPU i9-9900K can up to max. 100 ° C operated. Way to high. I have a max. Temperature set at 95 ° C.
- Possibly undervolting with BLCK Aware Adaptive Voltage.

Look my BIOS settings.

On 4/29/2020 at 6:39 PM, ASRMichael said:

I can’t find anything on Asus website 

Unfortunately I cannot answer this question either. The CPU i9-9900K doesn't support ECC.