IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

10 hours ago, AME said:

I use the Asus GT710 1Gb, very cheap and uses very little power. 

Yep that's what I boiled it down to as well, GT710 or GT 1030 - there are no other alternatives for this application at present (Although Nvidia will release a GT 1010 / 1020 shortly to replace GT710).  Appalling prices at the moment though due to GPU shortages, they should be miles cheaper than they are.  AMD doesn't do any fanless / low profile options.

13 hours ago, matthias said:

I am curious how even the modded Fritzbox cable modems can sound good as ALL use the "bad" Intel Puma chipset.

Hi Matt,

the modification was more about the power supply. As far as I know, Beci installs higher quality voltage regulators and capacitors. He also offers linear power supplies. I use a Keces P3. Otherwise I don't have much confidence in the chipset and clocking capabilities of the FritzBox.

I perform a reclocking with Selllarz clocks on the Ethernet link. These are the devices labeled G-Switch and 11Gtek.

Gabriel

2 hours ago, Gavin1977 said:

Motherboard which has true VRM phases (avoid the use of doublers which can affect transient performance of power supply to the CPU).  I believe C621 Sage uses 7 true phases per CPU.  Increased number of phases may aid detail retrieval, due to lower power supply ripple to the CPU. 

Excellent point. I have serious FOMO for this area... as the Gigabyte Designare does use doublers for the CPU VRM. Though, having gone from the Asus Strix Z390-i to the Designare netted a "gain" in the SQ I am going for. Perhaps the additional direct to CPU lanes provided an additional benefit.

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1211595-true-phase-vrm-or-less-phase-with-doubler/

Iirc, to get power to the cpu, using less phases and doublers makes it cheaper, but less stable power delivery and produces more heat. It's basically a way to cut costs.

More phases are expensive, but is more efficient and more stable.

World’s First 16-Phase Direct Power Design
X570 AORUS XTREME
https://www.aorus.com/First-16-Phase-Direct-Power-Design.php

It’s important to note that this isn’t any 16-phase power design. It’s a direct 16-phase design and this is achieved without the use of any doublers at all. The direct design means that 16 direct signals are coming from the PWM chip, allowing for more stable voltage.

There's a fairly comprehensive list here

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1137619-motherboard-vrm-tier-list-v2-currently-amd-only/

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Smj5dh97n32wJqm5dkdDcQt8ID7vH52-lKzaaXUUQx8

Nice, will keep a eye open for that board. I'm currently using the Aorus X570 Elite with 12+2 phases using a Corsair AX1200i to feed the Ryzen 7, and have just started doing an 8Pin power cable, Next thing is changing to W10 as the Solarflare cannot be added to Daphile. With exchanging the Ryzen 5 for the 7 the soundstage increased and dynamics also improved.

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

The difference between fiber optic into switch, CAT8.1 out into MB Gb network, versus fiberoptic into Solarflare into MB via PCIe is NOT trivial,😎

Next I'm going to disable some stuff I don't need anymore on the MB

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

On 1/13/2021 at 11:26 PM, Nenon said:

Hi Nenon,

Any further news about Taiko Audio DC-DC Atx? 

Thanks.

vhs

dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - Siltech Double Crown PC, Tara Labs Zero Evo AES; dCS Vivaldi DAC - Siltech Double Crown PC - Tara Labs Zero Evo XLR; dCS Vivaldi Clock - Siltech Double Crown PC - Viard Platinum BNC; Mutec Ref10 SE-120 - Shunyata Sigma Digital PC - AR Cox Triple C BNC; Music Server - La Sound Olympia PC; Spectral DMC-30SS MKii - Crystal Ultimate Dream PC; Spectral DMC-400RS - Tiglon 2000A PC - AR RTP6 Abs. - Transparent Reference G5 spk cable; Rockport Atria MKi, Shunyata Triton V2 + Typhon - Sigma HC PC, Thixar SMD Ultimate Rack + CMS Platinum MKiii / Tripoint Troy Signature BLK

https://www.hiendy.com/hififorum/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=124319&extra=page=1

7 hours ago, ASRMichael said:

Up & downs in this hobby! Yesterday was a day of downs! Dreaded code 00! Either CPU or MB! Tried all usual Bios recovery and other PSU. 

😢😢😢

On order Intel i9 1090k & Asus Rog XII extreme. Hopefully my 10a rail boots ok. 

Very interested in your experience transitioning to 10th gen i9. Why have you chosen not to go with 11th gen? Is it the lesser core count?

On 3/19/2021 at 12:59 PM, Gavin1977 said:

Now, this is an interesting side benefit.  I am finding that the Gene XI plus the solarflare makes my use of a Matrix Audio x-spdif 2 converter redundant - just using toslink from the motherboard itself sounds marvelous, x-spdif 2 doesn't add anything extra (or worse) compared to motherboard anymore.  This was not the case with the ASROCK Phantom Gaming ITX.

Further listening undertaken - perhaps I was a bit hasty on this, Audio x-spdif 2 does still have a slight edge, as motherboard TOSLINK out does sound slightly software.  Audio x-spdif 2 should sound better though as it's got DR linear feeding it.

4 hours ago, MarcelNL said:

I'm using the same graphics card, and wonder if there is something even less fancy, or is it possible to switch off the card once the computer has booted? (I don't mind manually flicking a switch on a modded graphics card if SQ benefits)

Apparently not, the only way to truly deactivate an installed card is to remove it or cut the power planes on the card itself / add a switch as an onboard regulator (if present).

1 hour ago, ASRMichael said:

My wife asked me? Did you break that deliberately so you could get something new!! & she walked away spouting boys toys & technology! 😂

Dude you just gave me a good idea 🤣.

All jokes aside, interested in how this turns out. My desktop is still running an i7 2600k happily and this i9 will become my daily driver when I upgrade... Long overdue for a more powerful desktop CPU/Mobo.

12 hours ago, Gavin1977 said:

Apparently not, the only way to truly deactivate an installed card is to remove it or cut the power planes on the card itself / add a switch as an onboard regulator (if present).

that would do me fine, my graphics card is on a riser cable connected to a 1x slot anyhow so it should be doable to snip some wires and install a switch. Looking at the PCIe pinout shows 5 12V pins and 4 3.3Vpins which may be too much to handle.

Daphile does turn off graphics output as it runs headless, I'm not sure how much juice is running through the card in that state and if noise can be minimized by switching off completely.

6 hours ago, MarcelNL said:

that would do me fine, my graphics card is on a riser cable connected to a 1x slot anyhow so it should be doable to snip some wires and install a switch. Looking at the PCIe pinout shows 5 12V pins and 4 3.3Vpins which may be too much to handle.

Daphile does turn off graphics output as it runs headless, I'm not sure how much juice is running through the card in that state and if noise can be minimized by switching off completely.

The higher end graphics cards tend to consume around 15w in idle if I remember correctly (this was from a graph on Toms hardware that I can no longer locate), GT 1030 or lower spec, probably 3-5 watts idle (GTX 1050 is similar to this).  Obviously under load is significantly higher.

How much noise it will add... well I presently use iGPU and will be able to disable this now, so that should create less noise on the CPU, with this being counteracted by electrical noise from the standalone card.  I seem to remember Nenon or Romaz stating that they could hear the effect of a graphics card being left in, it certainly is superfluous to requirement for audio and therefore can only be a negative thing.  However, will it be audible?  I would suggest probably not if using fan-less GT 1030 similar lower power card and it's just sitting there at idle.  Can always be under clocked as well. 

SGM extreme has an intergrated Aspeed AST2500 GPU on the C621 Sage motherboard, although disabled in BIOS no doubt - it'll still be electrically connected I guess.

So I'm not going to worry about it.