IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

36 minutes ago, Mops911 said:

Take it out and listen if you can hear a difference. if not, dont bother, if yes, only then this discussion becomes relevant...

Booting without it does not work on this mobo, I'm not so sure it's a good idea to take it out of a running system? 

Power draw is not my main concern, noise is.

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

23 hours ago, Exocer said:

Dude you just gave me a good idea 🤣.

All jokes aside, interested in how this turns out. My desktop is still running an i7 2600k happily and this i9 will become my daily driver when I upgrade... Long overdue for a more powerful desktop CPU/Mobo.

The plot thickens! I ordered the Asus Rog XII Extreme. I stupidly presumed because the i9 10090k has built in graphics then clearly compatible MB would have HDMI out! Answer No, has no video out whatsoever! mmmmm! Does anyone here know of any really really low power gpu cards that I could use to configure the Bios then remove? I have no idea if my SJ DC3 rail will even power a really low GPU? Arrrrrrrr! 

@Nenon maybe you know since you building SJ PSU’s? Or any other solution? 

many (most?) mobo's will not boot without GPU, the MSI card referred a couple of posts higher is probably the lowest spec/TDP card around. You can always stick the GPU card on a PCIe 1x riser and power that via a regular switching PSU using one of the PCIe cables.

(mine is connected that way)

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

25 minutes ago, MarcelNL said:

many (most?) mobo's will not boot without GPU, the MSI card referred a couple of posts higher is probably the lowest spec/TDP card around. You can always stick the GPU card on a PCIe 1x riser and power that via a regular switching PSU using one of the PCIe cables.

(mine is connected that way)

If only I had a PC PSU to power it!!! Maybe an old 512mb DDR2 card?

borrow one for a couple of days? If you need a GPU to get past P.O.S.T on that mobo you can always invest in an additional PSU/rail to power the card separately using a riser.

Think he has to enable the on board GPU first.

Thanks for the tip, biggest challenge is finding a VGA cable as I likely threw all of that stuff out long ago 

13 minutes ago, ASRMichael said:

I don’t see thunderbolt out. The thunderbolt card has an in. Any how ordered old DDR 2 card. Cheers all

I thought your USB-C ports would be sufficient as they appeared to be Thunderbolt compliant as well. I'm most likely incorrect on that assertion though 😁 (I thought there was an add-on card of sorts as well). 

1 hour ago, seeteeyou said:

Let's understand what it really is, DisplayPort Alt Mode should require hardware / BIOS support and therefore we don't wanna assume that all USB-C ports are created equal

True. The Asus ROG Maximus XIII Extreme lists the following specs so they do appear to be DisplayPort capable, hence my comment:

"2 x Intel® Thunderbolt™ 4 ports (USB Type-C®) support DisplayPort 1.2/1.4 and Thunderbolt™ video outputs *

* Graphics specifications may vary between CPU types."

Also,

Asus ROG Maximus XII Extreme comes with this apparently : 

THUNDERBOLTEX 3-TR Card

"ASUS ThunderboltEX 3-TR expansion card, dual Thunderbolt™ 3 ports (USB Type-C®), DisplayPort 1.4, PCIe® 3.0 x4 interface"

aren't those expansion ports on that MoBo ports for which you need a GPU or internal video processor in the CPU to work with?

My MoBo has HDMI out and some support chip for making that work but not without a CPU with internal GPU.

If there were no power delivered to the integrated graphics in the first place, how do we expect DisplayPort Alt Mode to work?

Well, I guess that some of us (i.e. not everyone) could somehow figure out a way to "modify" the motherboard for that?

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/9481/asus-maximus-xii-extreme-intel-z490-motherboard/index.html

There is no iGPU power

Seems very solid & nice - for non-gamers as there is no way to utilize the CPU integrated graphics

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R13YYJEHV4U9J9

I first ordered this king Asus Z490 motherboards but after delivery noticed that there was no ability to utilize on-board integrated graphics from the CPU (which I desire to use). So back it went.

Here's a different Z490 motherboard from MSI

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?threads/z490-use-thunderbolt-as-display-out-with-igp.340937/

Just watched a breakdown of the board on youtube and seems no power at all is delivered to the IGP

IMHO that didn't sound very feasible then.

11 minutes ago, seeteeyou said:

I first ordered this king Asus Z490 motherboards but after delivery noticed that there was no ability to utilize on-board integrated graphics from the CPU (which I desire to use). So back it went.

They don't mention the add-on accessory it comes with 🙂. Perhaps this person would prefer not to go that route.

I'd say its worth trying as it is no additional cost to try. If it doesn't work then I will take it away as a teachable moment...TY