IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

13 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

a water cooled CPU and GPU, 5800X and 3080

I was triggered by the 3080, my use case is different. No upsampling processing or DSP so I have an ancient video card that gets shut down by Daphile after booting.

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

31 minutes ago, MarcelNL said:

I was triggered by the 3080, my use case is different. No upsampling processing or DSP so I have an ancient video card that gets shut down by Daphile after booting.

HQPlayer uses Nvidia CUDA software to offload processing to make it possible too upsample to higher rates than using CPU alone. It won't be used for video output at all.

No electron left behind.

Too bad about Bitcoin.  GPU prices used to be somewhat reasonable, now one 3080 costs more than my last PC upgrade (ASUS mobo, Intel CPU, nVidia GPU, RAM, water cooling).

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Did anyone try various rectification methods, single side phase, double phase, double phase double side.....I know it takes a specific transformer each to end up at the same voltage going into the Taiko...so it's unlikely, but still...? 

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

6 hours ago, Tatomek7 said:

If you will go back to page 121, you will see, I’ve changed in my ULPS Hammond choke for a custom made one. It was the only change I did.

After two weeks after implementation, I can say, every aspect of music presentation improved; soundstage is deeper, there is much more air around instruments. Localisation is more precise, bass is more differentiated, there is more details and resolution.

Negatives? Yes, I can hear difference between formats and unfortunately I started to prefer high resolution recordings, unfortunately there is much bigger difference between Euphony and Roon and as I really like Roon Radio, what allows me to discover new music, Euphony sounds much better.

Yesterday I’ve changed server from X99 MB to C621 ( same Apacer Rams, Jcat USB and Nic cards, same LPS to power cards and MB ) and unfortunately sound was not as engaging, as it was with X99. Probably I will have to change ATX and EPS wiring, in X99 it's Neotech and in C621 it's taken from HdPlex 800W. Before the change in ULPS I didn’t hear any major differences to force me to do more improvements. Of course it’s my guess, as it could be just different MoBo, but before this change, C621 was better even with power supply Corsair 1200i. So, I encourage everybody to check, if you have somewhere around someone, who can made you a choke. Price is not very high , but the difference is so big, it’s worth to experiment.

I did miss your earlier post, and it is very interesting to know a custom made chock with same spec as Hammond can improve the sound so much.  Have you get to try adding the second chock yet?  Wonder if there are more changes or more improvements as single vs. dual Hammond chocks.

37 minutes ago, Tatomek7 said:

I will check it later. I have the second custom made choke on my shelf, but I will try it later. Firstly I would like to change the EPS wiring. 

Looking forward to your test result when you get the chance to install the second choke.  I am considering trying Lundahl LL2773 and see if that will be an improvement.

I'm intrigued by the Saligny rectifier, easy enough to compare with my goto schottky's so I ordered one.

3 minutes ago, Nenon said:

Per Emile: "The ll2773 with 66.000uF will kill the dc-dc atx on powerup".

what if you put a switch after the LCL network and powerup that part via a soft start? Did he say why the ATX is killed?

For now I can add to rhe confusion on two fronts;

1-taking the MB out of the metal case and putting it on some non specified wood chip board (underlayment) opens the sound

2-Using a Corning LCLC (no filter ;-) ) fiberoptic cable of the same length as my previous (probably) plastic core optical cable improves detail and nuance in the sound when streaming music through it,

Interesting development! My main question is; did you compare to a linear PSU and at what cost level did you arrive with V3, I suppose all that goodness cannot come cheap ? 

15 hours ago, Nenon said:

По Эмилю: "ll2773 с 66 000 мкФ убьет atx постоянного тока при включении питания".

Can you explain why LL 2773 will kill ATX? After all, Taiko himself, judging by the photographs of his unregulated power source, does not use any current-limiting components of the ATX relay. Apparently, Taiko himself uses LL2773 made according to his specification. I compared the original LL2773 and a photograph of the Taiko TA 350 throttle printed in the original size. I did not find any differences in the dimensions and cross-section of the wire and the number of turns.

IMG_2245_edit.jpg

IMG_2255_edit.jpg

54 minutes ago, MarcelNL said:

Interesting development! My main question is; did you compare to a linear PSU and at what cost level did you arrive with V3, I suppose all that goodness cannot come cheap ? 

Sub $550 or less with a group buy of kinds, as you correctly pointed out some of those components are not cheap... 

You can ofcourse use HDPlex 800w or Taiko DC DC (I've been testing purely with Taiko tbh).

As Nenon has said short cables make a massive difference, but being so compact you can place it right next to the DC DC and stay under 10cm cables between the two.

15 minutes ago, sakso136 said:

Very very interesting,specially if you can place it next to the taiko atx- dc.

Agreed, I was getting fed up with the ridiculous amount of boxes and wires I was accumulating to make this "happen" hence this development to begin with. 

In the end mind, I ended up purchasing a network attached DAC (https://www.ta-hifi.de/en/audiosystems/hv-series/sdv-3100-reference-streaming-dac-preamp/) and placing the server 30m+ away from the hifi itself (which as you can imagine brought improvements alone isolating it from the energy from the speakers...)

2 minutes ago, guiltyboxswapper said:

Agreed, I was getting fed up with the ridiculous amount of boxes and wires I was accumulating to make this "happen" hence this development to begin with. 

In the end mind, I ended up purchasing a network attached DAC (https://www.ta-hifi.de/en/audiosystems/hv-series/sdv-3100-reference-streaming-dac-preamp/) and placing the server 30m+ away from the hifi itself (which as you can imagine brought improvements alone isolating it from the energy from the speakers...)

Very nice.

I would love to know your results after burn in and it compares to nenon v2  model.

My taiko atx-dc is fed by keces p8 19 v now,and it is an upgrade from the hd800.

Regards

3 minutes ago, sakso136 said:

I would love to know your results after burn in and it compares to nenon v2  model.

Me too, but I have no way of getting a hold of v2 nenon at this point - which is why I started all this to begin with. 

Plus didnt want yet another box/chassis and all the cables associated with that.  I did plan to compare with my own unregulated linear build, but the performance from this has been so ... surprising ... that I may not bother now.  

Yes that Taiko DC DC whilst seems pricey, is strong VFM IMHO too.

1 minute ago, guiltyboxswapper said:

Me too, but I have no way of getting a hold of v2 nenon at this point - which is why I started all this to begin with.

Yes that Taiko DC DC whilst seems pricey, is strong VFM IMHO too.

Good job you ve done! Congrats!

I probably missed the specs of that ps,can you state again how much is the voltage output and amperes?

Thks