IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

it is large-ish 😁 as I am looking to create thermal stability over a larger range of in house temperature as our current house gets incredibly hot ridiculously fast and it affects the server temp quite a bit,

I ordered the heatsink at Reichelt, I can post a link if anyone is interested (I;d suggest to wait until I know if it actually can cope with the AMD Ryzen 9 3900X @ 105 TDP

20210907_213355.thumb.jpg.25ba8af3c8e22fedc6d3e1e9edac7a15.jpg

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

BTW, does anyone know more about heatpipes? I imagine that keeping them shorter is beneficial for heat transfer and to prevent heat buildup, I assume heat buildup due to transient peaks of power is why we see more massive copper being used in some heat sink designs...creating a buffer that can be filled where the heatpipes conduct heat away from the CPU more slowly....??

I ordered long heat pipes as I had no clue how the build would look, but I plan to order shorter ones once I have the final geometry (if there ever is anything final in this hobby)

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

Found a spec sheet that makes it sound as if shorter is better and kinky is not desired; 

https://docs.rs-online.com/cab7/0900766b813eb670.pdf

9 hours ago, MarcelNL said:

it is large-ish 😁 as I am looking to create thermal stability over a larger range of in house temperature as our current house gets incredibly hot ridiculously fast and it affects the server temp quite a bit,

I ordered the heatsink at Reichelt, I can post a link if anyone is interested (I;d suggest to wait until I know if it actually can cope with the AMD Ryzen 9 3900X @ 105 TDP

20210907_213355.thumb.jpg.25ba8af3c8e22fedc6d3e1e9edac7a15.jpg

Quoting you, because I couldn't find a way to get you to come up with a mention, however... I see you have an X570 board in your signature. What are you doing, if anything about the chipset fan?

No electron left behind.

53 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Quoting you, because I couldn't find a way to get you to come up with a mention, however... I see you have an X570 board in your signature. What are you doing, if anything about the chipset fan?

writing @AudioDoctor does that trick too.

I 'm not doing anything about the chipset fan other than that it probably does not move due to manual fan setting scheme I'm using, I have not done anything with it yet as I have bigger fish to fry first. Will be able to see how it behaves when the MB is mounted on a board next week, test flying the heatsink solution.

I read that the new MB's do not need a chipset fan anymore, and at some point I probably will use one of those.  

My new thinking on a silent server.

A giant case with minimal components inside it, ridiculously quiet fans, isolated water cooling components, SSDs only, and lots of airflow. Asus has released 4 new X570 motherboards with passive chipset cooling also. I am hoping to get the X570 ProArt and test my theory out in a Fractal Meshify 2 XL case.

SO far, here are the parts I am considering.

Noctua Fans:  https://noctua.at/en/nf-a12x25-pwm

Asus Board:  https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/ProArt/ProArt-X570-CREATOR-WIFI/

Meshify 2 XL case:  https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/meshify/meshify-2-xl-light-tempered-glass/Black/

one giant 480 radiator on the top, 3 fans in the front, 1 in the back, all the Noctua fans which claim a 22.6dB noise output at full speed.

a water cooled CPU and GPU, 5800X and 3080

a pump mounted on rubber grommets, an EK D5 pump which claims a 33dB noise level.

I also want to try fitting the side door from the Define 7 XL which is solid metal instead of the glass on the Meshify.

No electron left behind.

2 minutes ago, MarcelNL said:

writing @AudioDoctor does that trick too.

I 'm not doing anything about the chipset fan other than that it probably does not move due to manual fan setting scheme I'm using, I have not done anything with it yet as I have bigger fish to fry first. Will be able to see how it behaves when the MB is mounted on a board next week, test flying the heatsink solution.

I read that the new MB's do not need a chipset fan anymore, and at some point I probably will use one of those.  

I tried writing @MarcelNL I see the problem, I was using an I instead of an l

haha. Thanks for your reply.

No electron left behind.

I hope fanless will work, I'm pretty sure it can be done. 

Problem with fans is motion, and noise. Just keep i mind that the 33dB for the pump will increase by quite a bit as sound pressure is additive, You are basically quadrupling the amount of fans, adding like 3dB with the addition of each one. Of course you will not end up using all at max speed but I'd seriously think about the total noise as the fan noise will be added to the pump noise.

@AudioDoctor I am guessing your build is for gaming ? Otherwise I'd leave the GPU's out, huge powerdrains, a headless server is quieter both due to lower power draw and due their fans.

5 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

My new thinking on a silent server.

A giant case with minimal components inside it, ridiculously quiet fans, isolated water cooling components, SSDs only, and lots of airflow. Asus has released 4 new X570 motherboards with passive chipset cooling also. I am hoping to get the X570 ProArt and test my theory out in a Fractal Meshify 2 XL case.

SO far, here are the parts I am considering.

Noctua Fans:  https://noctua.at/en/nf-a12x25-pwm

Asus Board:  https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/ProArt/ProArt-X570-CREATOR-WIFI/

Meshify 2 XL case:  https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/meshify/meshify-2-xl-light-tempered-glass/Black/

one giant 480 radiator on the top, 3 fans in the front, 1 in the back, all the Noctua fans which claim a 22.6dB noise output at full speed.

a water cooled CPU and GPU, 5800X and 3080

a pump mounted on rubber grommets, an EK D5 pump which claims a 33dB noise level.

I also want to try fitting the side door from the Define 7 XL which is solid metal instead of the glass on the Meshify.

The Noctua fans are very quiet, I use one under the monster 833C tube in my mono amps (you can see it under the tube in this picture). The bulk of the noise they produce, however, is not from the fan itself but from the air being forced past the components being cooled. I ended up dropping the fan voltage by about 1/3 in order to get the whole arrangement quiet - fortunately that plus the finned top caps provided enough airflow/heat dissipation to keep the tube from melting down.

833C Amp.jpg

Yeah the airflow is often contributing most of the noise, which also indicated flow is likely turbulent...laminar airflow is quiter, alas what can you do but lower the fan speed or use a different fan design, or no fan at all... 

definitely OT: You may be stretching the envelope a bit far if the glass is at risk of melting, tubes usually come in bulbs designed to accomodate their nominal dissipated power.

2 minutes ago, MarcelNL said:

You may be stretching the envelope a bit far if the glass is at risk of melting, tubes usually come in bulbs designed to accomodate their nominal dissipated power.

Actually the 833C transmitter tubes are designed to use forced air cooling; without it the top seals tend to fail. Interestingly, the air should not be too cool or the tube will not operate at optimum efficiency - because of that I use the pre-heated air from inside the chassis for cooling.

Getting 200 watts per channel from a single ended triode takes a lot of voltage and heat!

I was mixing them up with the 6C33C-B beasts I used a good while ago, I have ogled that monster tube at some point but got hooked on the 'mesh sound'.

12 minutes ago, MarcelNL said:

now see what you guys did, I just put my order in for the Taiko ATX....🤪

Now you guys have really done it, I took a look at their website and really want their Extreme Music Server now. Hmmm...at $34K maybe I can convince my wife it would be a great retirement present. 

Then pigs will fly by my window... ;-)

I will probably get a custom wound choke(s) and will discuss merits with the winder who made the massive chokes for my power amp.

4 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Its for HQPlayer.

if you can I'd try run HQ player headless.