IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

23 minutes ago, Nenon said:

I did. But we are still waiting for the Noratel transformers! I think I will give Noratel another week for an update before giving up on them. 

On Aug 24th Taiko said this to me:

" Last I heard about the transformers is that they are on their way here by boat. Having them shipped by air turned out to be way too expensive. So they have been on the boat for at least a couple of weeks now (I think like three weeks). We haven't heard anything since then. "

6 hours ago, Nenon said:

In fact, I reached out to @Soul Analogue privately asking him if it's possible to get one of his unregulated power supplies to listen to in my system. I told him if it is as good as he claims, I will post about it and recommend it to everyone asking about it. And if it is not that good, I will return it and not post publicly about it. He said he would consider, and that was the last communication between us. 

Yes it is possible when I have the time... I have been busy fulfilling some other committed requests

Both Emile and Sean have hinted that it's not worth my time trying a choke input ULPS for this application, and this is why this is an unexplored area for me. I've learned to trust both of them over the years. 

I have been repeatedly saying my design is NOT a choke input ULPS...

BTW, how to add a signature on every posts? I cannot find such option anywhere...

I have no commercial interest on Audiophile Style, and am not affiliated with the industry... but I had better make a signature about custom power supplies

and to comply with the rules here, I will not talk about my creations until someone asks questions

Builder of Linear Power Supplies

10 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hello Soul Analogue, it was brought to my attention that nine days before telling me you are merely a hobbyist, you solicited a product review from another website by saying you are a builder of custom linear power supplies (see your post below). 

As of right now, you must follow all the rules that others with a commercial interest follow on Audiophile Style. Your signature line below every post must indicate your affiliation in the industry and you shouldn't talk about your products unless someone asks you a questions about them. 

If you'd like to communicate without restrictions, you're welcome to open a sponsored forum here like other manufacturers who support Audiophile Style. 

Screen Shot 2021-09-15 at 1.44.14 PM.png

Hello Chris,

I had been a hobbyist of power supply design...

The reason I post a request for review in "another website" because I would like to see how my lifetime creation fares amongst the line up of the top commercial products in the market... but eventually the "review" did not turn into reality as they considered my creation was not a standard product readily available for sale.

I DID not mean to do business or make profit by posting here...

but since I expressed by views and experience sharing here in mid August 21, I received many sincere requests for helping hands...

and I agreed to help some of them here

Thank you for clarifying the rules

Due to the "change" of my "role or identity", I will NOT further post or describe the design of my creation, unless someone ask questions

and I agree to put a signature - Builder of Custom Power Supplies ... but how to make it? I cannot see the option anywhere... Please advise.

If situation becomes viable, i may become a sponsor in the future...

Please feel free to PM me the conditions and financial implications for being a sponsor for my consideration

Thanks

Builder of Linear Power Supplies

5 hours ago, Exocer said:

Here are some pics of Nenon's V3 (partially built because I was still tinkering with placement at the time) in the Slimline 3U chassis. It would have been nice if the tray were a bit deeper but everything managed to fit. I can't wait to fire it up again! and listen. It feels very hefty and solid with the base plate! 

Hi Rob,

Thank you for posting the picture of your V3 ULPS, it looks very nice.  One thing I noticed that you have 7 main caps in your ensure, but Nenon's V3 description show a total of 5 in CLCLCCC configuration.  Could you comment on the two extra main caps in yours?

Thank you,

Kevin

33 minutes ago, elan120 said:

Hi Rob,

Thank you for posting the picture of your V3 ULPS, it looks very nice.  One thing I noticed that you have 7 main caps in your ensure, but Nenon's V3 description show a total of 5 in CLCLCCC configuration.  Could you comment on the two extra main caps in yours?

Thank you,

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Good question. I just did things a bit differently:

image.thumb.png.075fc42e5eb4fad05a46d972e0142a39.png

So in that portion of the circuit I went with 5 22,000uF caps instead of 2x 47,000 + 1x22,000uF. I wanted to emulate the way @Nenonconfigured his V3. I'm sure either will sound great. In retrospect, going with 2x 47,000 + 1x22,000uF would probably have saved a significant amount of enclosure space and you end up with more capacitance (110,000uF vs 116,000uF) in the last portion of the circuit.

Hope this helps,

-Rob

13 hours ago, MarcelNL said:

Further, what specs for the ATX module I can find say that the module can handle up to 10.000uF for 12V....did nobody go there yet? I have not found out how much capacitance already is located on the motherboard, but if possible I'd like some capacitance as close as can be at the MB.

anyone here who added some capacitance after the ATX? 

Does the ATX come with any more specs/application notes that what is on the website?

@Nenon thanks for your response, it is just that without any specific reasoning behind what appears a non logical choice (the ATX will not generate power on it's own, or Taiko has cracked the energy problem) I am hard pressed to pick another route than 'tinker to the max'. That is not critisism, I am grateful for your reports and the information you share. I also do understand that sometimes proprietary information cannot be shared.

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

8 minutes ago, MarcelNL said:

anyone here who added some capacitance after the ATX? 

TBH if you can keep your cables ultra short, you may not need to do this?

Going from 60,000uf to 165,000uf (both Mundorf AG) has proven to be a dramatic difference with the audio grade SMPS I helped put together, and its not even been a week yet (still breaking in).  Much extended (subsonic) bass response at even normal listening levels, with transient response (including gut wrenching impact) stepped up quite a notch in the process.  

More is better!

I get what you say, BUT ;-) The very reason to keep the cables short may be a grood reason to add some capacitance at the end...

I think we may end up with a Le Monstre Server, I am not yet able to calculate ripple etc for the CLCLC network as I seem incapable of using the PSUDII properly, I will start at three time 47000, but may well end up adding a couple

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

4 minutes ago, MarcelNL said:

I get what you say, BUT ;-) The very reason to keep the cables short may be a grood reason to add some capacitance at the end...

Kind of- the PSU supplying the caps still plays a big part in the outcome.   

Ever tried attaching a brand new PSU to a broken in set of caps?  Sounds dreadful as the new PSU settles down.   

You maybe better off soldering the 4th input pair on the Taiko DC DC for better impedance (the one left open), whilst keeping cables as short as possible.

43 minutes ago, MarcelNL said:

@Nenon thanks for your response, it is just that without any specific reasoning behind what appears a non logical choice (the ATX will not generate power on it's own, or Taiko has cracked the energy problem) I am hard pressed to pick another route than 'tinker to the max'. That is not critisism, I am grateful for your reports and the information you share. I also do understand that sometimes proprietary information cannot be shared

I am no expert and wondering out loud.

Mobo’s do not draw a lot of continues current it draws extreme current spikes.

The 400VA of a transformer is the continuous power delivery but it can deliver more in a spike. Not sure but the big capacitance may help with spikes.

I could be all wrong of cause.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

49 minutes ago, guiltyboxswapper said:

Going from 60,000uf to 165,000uf (both Mundorf AG) has proven to be a dramatic difference with the audio grade SMPS I helped put together, and its not even been a week yet (still breaking in). Much extended (subsonic) bass response at even normal listening levels, with transient response (including gut wrenching impact) stepped up quite a notch in the process.

More is better!

59 minutes ago, guiltyboxswapper said:

Going from 60,000uf to 165,000uf (both Mundorf AG) has proven to be a dramatic difference with the audio grade SMPS I helped put together, and its not even been a week yet (still breaking in). Much extended (subsonic) bass response at even normal listening levels, with transient response (including gut wrenching impact) stepped up quite a notch in the process.

More is better!

I think that it was not in vain that Taiko installed such an array of capacitors in the last ripple smoothing cascade C5 - C16 - 564000 mKf. As my experience in other DIY designs shows, the large amount of energy in the capacitors makes the sound bigger and more dynamic.

DIY-Taico-3.jpeg

57 minutes ago, guiltyboxswapper said:

Going from 60,000uf to 165,000uf (both Mundorf AG) has proven to be a dramatic difference with the audio grade SMPS I helped put together, and its not even been a week yet (still breaking in).  Much extended (subsonic) bass response at even normal listening levels, with transient response (including gut wrenching impact) stepped up quite a notch in the process.  

More is better!

Really curious how your smps solution would compare to the ulps but that will be difficult I guess.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

38 minutes ago, Audiomaster said:

I think that it was not in vain that Taiko installed such an array of capacitors in the last ripple smoothing cascade C5 - C16 - 564000 mKf. As my experience in other DIY designs shows, the large amount of energy in the capacitors makes the sound bigger and more dynamic.

Yep, literally what I found within 30mins of starting up revision 3.  The only reason we didnt go to 198,000uf is in an attempt to keep the PSU small enough to place inside a PC chassis of sorts.  

1 hour ago, guiltyboxswapper said:

Kind of- the PSU supplying the caps still plays a big part in the outcome.   

Ever tried attaching a brand new PSU to a broken in set of caps?  Sounds dreadful as the new PSU settles down.   

You maybe better off soldering the 4th input pair on the Taiko DC DC for better impedance (the one left open), whilst keeping cables as short as possible.

using capacitance where it is pulled from the earliest in a transient is a bit more elegant and faster you still need a large container to fill up but I'm thinking that the transients caused by the CPU are filled by the MB, so we need to find out what transients the MB is drawing, then what the taiko ATX can deliver and what the ATX itself is capable of drawing.

That we need large capacitance and choke(s) to adequately filter ripple is clear looking at the current drawn. I'm just trying to establish what capacitance needs to go where max SQ. I seriously think that a little capacitance at the MB will do a lot, it'll help overcome the cable resistance/ which creates lag and a nice bypass will also help removing crud being picked up on it's way to the MB.