IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

a lot of booting and swapping RDIMM sticks...voltage listed for all rdimm slots looks OK, but slots A B and C show 0 GB.

one EPS cable and ATX connected, should IMO be plenty....

I had the mb working using the standard fan coolers, with 4 sticks in the suggested slots, so either the 4 RAM sticks that arrived later (exactly the same) are duds or there is something else wrong.....

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

3 hours ago, MarcelNL said:

a lot of booting and swapping RDIMM sticks...voltage listed for all rdimm slots looks OK, but slots A B and C show 0 GB.

I had the mb working using the standard fan coolers, with 4 sticks in the suggested slots, so either the 4 RAM sticks that arrived later (exactly the same) are duds or there is something else wrong.....

If you had it running with the 4 original sticks of RAM, then it shouldn’t be an issue related to an improperly seated CPU or Power. 

My guess is that your second batch of RAM has a problem…

5 hours ago, MarcelNL said:

I'm back in the room....not sure how, but I'm in the BIOS again, without the ASMB9 module. Guess it was a BIOS reset plus removing the BIOS battery and powering down the board completely.

What stays is that it seems to power down, without being able to see CPU temp or load it's hard to say if it's the MB, the CPU temp or simply the PSU being underdimensioned (400W so should IMHO be up to the task)

400 Watt power supply may not be up to the task.  I once tried to use a HDPLEX LPS as a temporary supply to listen to while I was modding my Nenon V3, and it quickly overheated and shut down.

SB88200 cable modem,  EdgeRouterX SFP router,  2 series PFU Buffalo BS-GS2016 switches w/ SR7T LPS and Finisar FTLX1475D3BTL SFPs, Taiko NetCard, JCAT USBCard XE w/ JCAT Optimo 3 Duo LPS;  DIY Taiko Extreme w/ Taiko DC-ATX, and Nenon design Level 3 supply;  Denafrips GAIA DDC w/ Revelation Audio Prophecy Cryro Silver I2S connection to Denafrips Terminator Plus DAC;  modified Pass Labs XP22 preamp,  Pass X600.8 monoblocks,  restored and modified Sound Lab M-1 electrostats with hot rod backplates

13 hours ago, MarcelNL said:

Likely some of the CPU pins not contacting well. Adjust the screws to push the CPU further down to the socket may help. If needed, remove the CPU and check all the pins are clean and in good positions and insert again. As said, I spent half a day to get 2 CPUs in their positions and both seeing all 12 sticks of RAM.

thanks all, it must be the CPU seating then...I already found it weird that the order 1-2-3-4 is th eonly instruction listed...I'll try again with screwing all 4 screws down gradually after checking the pins on the MB.

If that does not work I'll swap the CPU's to see if one of them has an issue...

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

Brief update:

On the dual CPU Server I have tried:

Win10 LTSC (Eval version , i'll explain why) -

1. With Roon Server and Roon Remote : I loved the user experience.

No Process Lasso tweaks.

No Roon Tweaks

Note: This did not sound ideal. I suspect a lot can be gained with the process lasso and roon tweaks.

2.Tiny11 - HQPlayer Desktop with HQPlayer Control app all filters turns off playing straight PCM

Note: This actually sounded REALLY good but the control app was less than desirable.

Since using an eval version "has no supported path" to making it a full on LTSC instance, I went ahead and tried the Tiny10 ISO @seeteeyou suggested, which uses the Windows 10 LTSC Full ISO (Not eval). I am unable to get this OS to boot. It sits at the Windows loading screen forever. 

Next step is to find a functional Windows 10 LTSC ISO for this hardware. I had spent hours trimming the ISO using NTLITE only to find out that the "eval" version would not be the right path forward. Hoping to save others a ton of time and energy with this post.😎

Hard to tell what's that all about, though the first question for me to ask myself would be what's the NVMe driver situation?

Well, there's this thing for Optane 900P with Intel 9th Gen processors + SOtM sMB-Q370

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19755/intel-rapid-storage-technology-driver-installation-software-with-intel-optane-memory-8th-and-9th-gen-platforms.html

https://downloadmirror.intel.com/773230/SetupRST.exe

Extracting that driver ahead of time

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000094664/technologies/intel-rapid-storage-technology-intel-rst.html

https://downloadmirror.intel.com/773229/readme_18_7_6_1010.txt

./SetupRST.exe -extractdrivers SetupRST_extracted

Assuming that Tiny11 might include the latest driver by default, maybe that's why everything turned out to be silky smooth.

https://reboot.pro/index.php?showtopic=22621&page=8#entry221675

Yes, MinWin istallations always take a very long time to reach the desktop for the first time, in my tests usually about 1 hour (minimum) in desktop PCs with mechanical 7200 RPM HDD, or SSD HD, no appreciable change in time.

BTW, here's yet another avenue for those us who aren't ready for Win11PE yet

https://reboot.pro/index.php?showtopic=22621

MinWin Medium Profile

https://reboot.pro/index.php?showtopic=22621&page=7#entry221615

13 hours ago, Exocer said:

Thanks @seeteeyoubut I have been using a dual Xeon build. I finally found an Win10 LTSC 2021’ image that works. I am absolutely thrilled with the sq now, with Roon server, process lasso and Taiko’s Roon setting guide.

I will have to build up another EPS cable, and fill the remaining 8 ram slots.

I will refrain from comparing it to my SOTM build (which sounds wonderful with Euphony V4) until I re-insert it into my chain several weeks from now.

Did you try Euphony on your Xeon server? I'm very curious to know how the SOtM build compares with the same OS. Not to mention your thoughts on Euphony with this build. I went through the same exercise using LTSC, then Euphony. I recently switched to Audiolinux a few months ago. I'm going to switch back to Euphony and see how the two compare again. 

What Taiko Roon guide are you referring to? 

8 hours ago, Exocer said:

The guide referenced in @BCRich's post. He is the one who sent it to me. (I had totally forgotten it exists).

"Did you try Euphony on your Xeon server?" Yes and it worked without a hitch. The motherboard is very new so I'll refrain from making any definitive statement. Eupony sounds really good with the Xeon server. The SOTM build wasn't too far behind with Euphony. I think the SOTM "may" have a slight edge in clarity but that may be because:

1. I am using the SOTM TX-USBHubin, reclocked.

2. The SOTM TX-USBX10G feeds the TX-usbhubin via DIY cable, also relocked.

Both are reclocked by the SCLK-EX which sync with a Mutec Ref10. SCLK-EX is powered by an SJ DC4, as are the TX-USBHubin and TX-USBX10G. Also, that build uses the Femto NVME, also DC4 powered.

The Dual xeon build uses the JCAT USB XE + Master OCXO but no other specialty clocks.

Both were powered by the same exact ULPS V3 + Taiko DC-ATX.

With Euphony, i'll have to revisit listening with the SOTM board but I remember initially not being too impressed with the dual CPU build vs the SOTM early on. Several days in, I texted @Nenon saying "oh, ok I think i'm starting to get the fuss" because the Xeon build started settling in a bit and sounding better than before. I want to give this comparison a very thorough observation and in order to do that i'll have to re-insert the SOTM SMB Q370 and listen again after the Xeon build fully settles in. Let's give that a few weeks.

The SOTM is REALLY good and sounds much closer than you would expect given the size differences of the board, the 1 vs 2 cpus. My guess is the results will be depenedent upon the clock yo use for synching the SCLK-EX with has a tremendous effect there. The OCK-1 vs Ref10 feeding the SCLk-ex could convince just about any clock naysayer that clocks CAN and DO have an affect on what you hear.

Give me a few weeks and I promise i'll have more feedback on the SOTM vs Dual Xeon comparison with Euphony. Unfortunately I will not have the ability to conduct a complete apples to apples comparison with some fundamental changes (USB card differences, dual reclocked USB layers on the SOTM build) but I suspect it will be very educational info to have. As for people being worried about the older i9 CPU, I wouldn't lose sleep over it. It is becoming next to impossible to find new in box CPUs for the SMB Q370 though, which is unfortunate.

Euphony with the Xeon build sounds good. Windows 10 E LTSC 2021 / Tweaked Roon sounds better than Eupony on the Xeon and its not close.

Have you had a chance to compare the sound quality of having your server run both the Roon core and player, versus having the Roon core on a different device and using your high end server for playback only?

8 minutes ago, AVdweeb said:

Have you had a chance to compare the sound quality of having your server run both the Roon core and player, versus having the Roon core on a different device and using your high end server for playback only?

I have not, but I am thinking to try that now that I have two really good servers. I could power the Roon core with my spare PH SR7T 19V rail.

Motherboard: Asus TUF Gaming X670E-Plus WiFi

CPU: Ryzen 7

Enclosure: HdPlex H5

I followed instruction from HdPlex website as close as possible.

Two surprises.

1. In order to dissemble original CPU heatsink rack i had to remove everything (as on pictures) to be able to install HdPlex-provided rack.
  2. New heatpipe package for H5 is common with H3. You can see short pipes reaching a little over 60% of copper block.

I hope it will help others since there are very little pictures of installing AMD AM5 CPU.

Original CPU rack:

image.thumb.jpeg.b66e0ee6365a5bcb8fe8528621ffd30e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8ac1c8d2507c70fc4f755b4494484264.jpeg

to be continued...

Brief update; Dual xeon server is up and running, a big THANKS to Exocer for all his support!

I suspect two RAM sticks to be faulty, both CPUs are recognized properly...

Meanwhile, while waiting for a gazillion reboots I adapted a second router for cascaded operation...that transformed the sound of the current server!

http://jplay.eu/forum/index.php?/topic/3063-pink-hq-minorityclean/?p=66847

For the best results, it is recommended to use Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows Server 2022 or Windows 10 22H2. WS 2012R2 is bloat-free, WS 2022 is bloated but incredibly efficient at using system resources. Both will likely provide SQ superior to any other Windows build.

http://jplay.eu/forum/index.php?/topic/3063-pink-hq-minorityclean/?p=64471

I have spent 3 months of my life focusing (almost) solely on finding the best Windows version, so I'm going to share my 0.02$.

topazzo might be actually right. Not because Windows Server is bad OS per se, but because most audiophiles are using Windows Server 2019, which is based on 1809, which might be the worst version of Windows since Windows Vista.

Builds before and after 1809 are much better.

Windows 8.1 have the timers of Windows 10 but without all the bloat, 1709 is probably the lowest latency OS ever made, the newer OSes (especially 22h2) are incredibly efficient in the way they use memory and CPU.

So I'd recommend either 8.1, 1709 or 22h2/w11, depending on your hardware.

Exciting time ahead?

https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2023/08/31/announcing-windows-11-insider-preview-build-25941-canary-channel/

This is apparently the second official preview. (Not sure what the first one was, but I think it was 25370?)

Apparently it won't expire until September

https://archive.org/download/win11-ltsc-2024-25941/25941.1000.230825-1352.rs_prerelease_CLIENT_ENTERPRISES_OEM_x64FRE_en-us.iso

GFQzqcoWcAAYalb.jpg

Hello!
Help needed.
My music server: Motherboard MSI MAG B550M MORTAR, CPU AMD Ryzen9 3900 3.1 MGHz 64 MB L3, RAM 8 Gb single module, Euphony Stylus OS, Pink Faun SPDIF Bridge. I want to ask which is better, two 4 Gb modules or one 8 Gb module.

IMG_0468.jpg

14 hours ago, seeteeyou said:

awfully interesting, seriously! May I ask you kindly to write a few lines of thought to the links you post? For me it's a bit hard to follow your train of thought just from a few links.

15 minutes ago, Antanas said:

Hello!
Help needed.
My music server: Motherboard MSI MAG B550M MORTAR, CPU AMD Ryzen9 3900 3.1 MGHz 64 MB L3, RAM 8 Gb single module, Euphony Stylus OS, Pink Faun SPDIF Bridge. I want to ask which is better, two 4 Gb modules or one 8 Gb module.

IMG_0468.jpg

The CPU has two memory lanes, so I'd opt for 2 sticks, the MB manual will tell you which ones to best populate.