IGNORED

Article: Guest Editorial: Why did audio stop being about audio?

40 minutes ago, HiFiHeard said:

Such an interesting discussion and I couldn't help but sign up just to join this community and partake in the banter.

1. Just like any other passionate hobby, you have tribalism (Mustang vs Camaro, 911 vs Corvette, digital vs vinyl) where we conflate our self identity with the things we consume. This I think is completely normal because it is one of the defining characteristics that drive human survival (seeking like minded individuals to form stronger teams). 

2. The key to avoiding toxicity is respecting the others' tribal choice (exotic cables vs amazon specials), but the problem arises when we have evangelism: where an individual or group seeks to establish absolute positions like "I'm right, you're wrong", in lieu of "I like this, and it's OK if you don't like it."

4. Or worse, we are unable to separate unimportant hobbies (home audio) with the truly important tribalism issues that affect our society (vaxxers vs anti-vaxxers). And so toxicity ensues because certain posters elevate the importance of the discussion from "let's agree to disagree" to "my sanity requires that I change your mind."

Well stated HFH. Your 4th point is the best. Thanks for joining the community.

22 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

Give me ten British  Audiophile Companies.

Even if I couldn't give you one, you haven't established the causal relationship between snake oil and a declining HiFi industry. You're taking the current facts, and imposing your unsupported reasoning on how we got here. 

21 minutes ago, Archimago said:

Hmmm, hang on @joelha, I'm just not sure who you're talking about when you said this:

"Allowing audiophiles to post their subjective conclusions without proof brings them one step closer to accepting those who relate their religious experiences without proof. For them, science is god and a subjective conclusion upends their god and belief system. They fight hard so that doesn’t happen."

Who are the "they" in this excerpt? Who are these "religious objective" people who worship this scientific "god"?

Rather than looking at objective-leaning audiophiles as religious themselves or anti-religious as to desecrate the subjectivists' god, what about simply the idea that objective people get emotional and could fight hard at times because they have concerns about lies as it pertains to things that were engineered by humans using scientific principles? Since we're not naive to how the world works, one has to admit that advertising departments exist to create emotional impressions and sales people lie simply because there is/might be a financial motive.

To me, much of the emotional force coming from the objective camp is more about recognition of money and psychological factors rather than any religious/spiritual dimension...

Very interesting Archimago. Honest questions:

Is there a larger "problem" if the objective people don't fight hard? In other words, what happens if they let a conversation go with people believing what they want? Will science eventually be relegated to second class? Or something completely different?

I believe fear is a strong motivator for both the sub and obj groups. Objectives > Fear of attacks on science (end result unknown to me) and Subjectives > fear of losing a hobby or source of enjoyment. I don't believe either is rational, but that's just me.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

12 minutes ago, ARQuint said:

That's clear-eyed, honest, and a breath of fresh air, Chris. Change the word "companies" to "writers" or "magazines" and direct the observation toward a half-dozen or so participants on a very few Audiophile Style forums and you'll be taking an even more principled stand. Manufacturers help keep AS afloat; TAS and Stereophile and Michael Lavorgna and Lee Scoggins and John Darko are merely competitors. Unfounded claims of dishonesty and unethical behavior should be no more acceptable with these targets, even if you disagree vociferously with what they have to say. "…a fear of something, jealousy, or something else at play" ?  I'd say so.

A couple things come to mind here. 

0. Is this the backhanded compliment I think it is?

1. I like to let people speak for themselves, for the main reason that I don’t like people to speak for me. I believe my response above was related to a general series of comments not mentioning any entity specifically. Alex thought it was him and stepped in to speak for himself. 

2. Some behavior is indefensible. 

3. It’s much easier to talk about specifics than generalities, so I’d hate to guess what you’re specifically addressing. 

4. A couple people You mentioned lost privileges to use AS due to egregious rule violations. I suppose I could speak for them but then why have rules in the first place and I don’t have enough time to speak for myself. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

3 minutes ago, plissken said:

Ethernet cabling and Switches are strictly data products. They don't care a wit for what's in the packet. They're just their to reliably transport frames/packets to the best of their ability. 

They simply aren't audio products. 

Except they do care what’s in the packet. Not in a clocking audio sense, but in many other cases. Try getting a DHCP ACK without looking at a packet.