IGNORED

Article: Guest Editorial: Why did audio stop being about audio?

1 minute ago, Ralf11 said:

For speakers, yes.

A speaker with a linear phase crossover will have a natural frequency response peak that can be ameliorated but not altogether avoided. Which measurement is better sounding, linear phase or flatter frequency response?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

7 hours ago, plissken said:

Jud, your acting like this is going to end up somewhere in courthouse. So based on your conjecture I can't be sure you really know anything or not. 

One justice is expensive. Two it's not worth going to court over. Three what the heck is a manufacturer going to provide as proof of the efficacy of their products in this niche? And if they have it, it would already be incorporated into their marketing and spec pages.  

Where's my downside? If answering this question constitutes free legal advice I understand you not wanting to give the $$ away 🙂

Except of course I'm not talking about court. That's where tools to determine whether people know what they're talking about or not have been finely developed over centuries, but those tools are just a natural outgrowth of what we use every day.

What I'm saying in simple terms is that your willingness to make confident statements about all kinds of topics makes it difficult for me to determine whether you really are knowledgeable about many of them.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

56 minutes ago, plissken said:

You'll have to be specific

Sure. You quoted a truth in advertising law to me in this thread. Are we to take it from this that you feel you know something about law?

33 minutes ago, plissken said:

When they insist they've blocked leakage currents from making it's way to the output of a DAC, but yet they can't show you this..... There's a word I'm looking for that describes this.... Oh yea, it's called a lie. 

When audiophiles will buy beeswax "fuses" or "grounding boxes" filled with rocks and sand, if UpTone simply wished to perpetrate a lie, there'd be far less expensive ways for them to do it.

I don't think I've seen the claim that a product of theirs will prevent leakage current at the DAC output specifically, though my impression is a few of their products are designed to prevent leakage current from passing through various points in the circuit.

Do you have information that there is no leakage current in audio system circuits, or that a power supply operating in the manner of the UpTone LPS power supplies will create or pass leakage current? Or is your point that this doesn't pass built-in Ethernet transformers? Or that it doesn't audibly affect the analog output?

2 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

Certainly in the 80's and early 90's. 

In the area of digital audio, right? And has it since slowed because some smaller manufacturers put out some products you feel are questionable (and some I certainly do too), or because we are at a pretty good place now? To reiterate my question, what assaults on the state of the art do you believe remain to be made with products such as amps, DACs, and audio files?

1 hour ago, mansr said:

Same thing. Why settle for 10% (or 100%) margin when you can have 10,000%?

Perhaps we're saying fairly similar things. If "high end" cable didn't exist, audio stores would have to create it.

1 hour ago, pkane2001 said:

Why do you keep bringing up major corporations? These rarely cater to the tiny audiophile market. Mass consumer-oriented companies rarely care about improving SQ, about getting better, more realistic sound reproduction. Give the masses an iPhone with MP3 playback, with some wireless ear-buds and they'll be happy. 

Exactly - major corporations rarely cater to our tiny market. Yet virtually every component that goes into our present DACs, amps, etc., is made by a major corporation. Tiny audiophile companies aren't making their own DAC or ADC chips. The same will be true of chips for better multichannel audio (and that's without even thinking about how much more affordable speakers would have to be; that would have to come from economies of mass production, it seems to me).

We can get there through software now (HQPlayer at least; there may be others I don't know about), but it requires top of the line CPUs and GPUs to do the processing, so that's not realistically going to be available even to the wider audiophile market. Either computing will have to continue to get cheaper (major corporations), or we'll need chips (major corporations).

We'll also need agreed on standards for end to end interoperable recording and playback, if you feel those for current multichannel won't suffice. That means standards bodies, usually staffed and/or aided by, yes, major corporations.

So that's why I keep bringing it up. Do you see an alternative path to better multichannel affordable to most audiophiles with workable standards that proceeds through tiny custom operations?