IGNORED

EtherREGEN: Installation, Usage, Difficulty, Questions thread

I purchased an EtherRegen + BG7TBL 10MHz OCXO clock powered by an HDPlex HD100 LPSU placed on 3 IsoAcoustics Orea and the difference compared to a Netgear switch was easily noticeable. I'd put it into 4 categories: Much improved PRAT, less gritty / glare from higher frequencies, a blacker background and more focused spatial cues including increased depth. Well worth the modest investment IMO.

My only questions are - should I ground the EtherRegen to the wall outlet powering the Niagara 3000 (which powers the HDPlex LPSU) since the Niagara doesn't have a ground terminal? Should the clock also be grounded along with the Etherregen? Thanks in advance for your assistance.

4x20A circuits | Shunyata Triton + Typhon | Source 1: HDPlex HD100 PSU -> OCX clock + EtherRegen -> Paul Hynes SR4T + HDPlex HD500 PSUs -> Music PC w/JCAT XE nic, HQPlayer, Roon, Tidal / Qobuz |  TotalDAC D1 Twelve DAC + Mk II Streamer | Source 2: Acoustic Signature Ascona with Kuzma 4 Point tonearm | Koetsu Rosewood Signature cart | Pass XP-15 phono pre | Audionet Pre G2 preamp | Audionet Max mono blocks | Vivid Audio Giya Spirits |  4 JL Audio Fathom subs | Echole ICs /SCs / Siltech King jumpers, Shunyata/Audioquest PCs / Eth. Cs | Critical Mass CS2s -> components, Isoacoustics -> speakers + subs | Adona Eris II rack w/ Herbie's titanium footers | Fully treated and dedicated 2 channel room

11 hours ago, PYP said:

Thank you, John.  The eRs themselves are powered by a LPS 1.2 and SMPS, respectively.  One leg of the JS-2 powers an external clock for eR #2.    If I add a second, separate clock for eR #1, and power that clock with the second leg of the JS-2, is the moat defeated (shared ground for the two clocks)?  

More than likely running both clocks off the same JS-2 will defeat the moat of the second ER. Whether that is a problem depends a lot on how things are hooked up. The primary purpose of the moat is to prevent leakage current (both low and high impedance) from the network from getting into the DAC. If the path from the first ER to the output of the second does not introduce any new leakage currents then the moat of the first ER may be sufficient.  This really needs a detailed drawing of the system to figure that out.

John S.

I think I'm covered isolation/defeat wise with opticalModule Deluxe sitting in a sandwich between two EtherRegen's.

468839849_MySetUp2021-v19.thumb.jpg.67963c5d40cc692b59a8cb0f19667fb7.jpg

UpTone JS-2 LPS x 2 > Mac Mini (UpTone MMK/JS-2 LPS) > Cisco 2960 > EtherRegen 1 (1.2 LPS) > EtherRegen 2 (1.2 LPS) > OpticalModule (JS-2 LPS) > OpticalRendu (JS-2 LPS) > Denafrips Hermes DDC (i2S) > Denafrips Pontus II R2R DAC > Conrad Johnson Tube Preamp > Denafrips Hyperion Amp > SoundLab Dynastat speakers // CABLES:  Ghent Audio (JSSG360) / Sablon Audio / Tubulus Argentus / AudioQuest / PS Audio / Transparent

7 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

More than likely running both clocks off the same JS-2 will defeat the moat of the second ER. Whether that is a problem depends a lot on how things are hooked up. The primary purpose of the moat is to prevent leakage current (both low and high impedance) from the network from getting into the DAC. If the path from the first ER to the output of the second does not introduce any new leakage currents then the moat of the first ER may be sufficient.  This really needs a detailed drawing of the system to figure that out.

John S.

Thank you, John.  Given that adding a second eR resulted in a significant increase in density and weight, sonic qualities that I value, I definitely don't want to defeat the moat of the second eR.    Adding an opticalModule and the two eRs has given me a new appreciation for just how good the Tambaqui DAC is, and makes me curious about whether there are other ways to maximize the ethernet stream.  And it was very clearly demonstrated that the JS-2 was a wonderful partner to the Cybershaft clock, which lifted the performance of my first eR.  But it seems like it is time to simply enjoy the music.  

I have observed in the past that adding a component that reduces noise can improve sound for a week or so and then become less effective.  It makes me wonder if this is related to leakage currents and, if so, how much time it takes leakage currents to propagate through the system.    

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

I think JS’s look at diagrams includes leakage currents that may conduit via powerboards? - something often not seen in posted diagrams.

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

11 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

I'm not quite sure what you are getting with this. Leakage currents are electrical signals, thus they propagate through conductors at close to the speed of light. There ARE several things that can take days to change are oxidation levels on connectors and static buildup.

All the "isolation" being done to help block leakage currents can also leave a system susceptible to static charges developing between segments of a system which might change how things sound. These can build up over time.

John S.

So, if I understand correctly in theory, basically you’re saying that “less is more” in regards to leakage current and galvanic isolation of a system ? 

1 hour ago, JohnSwenson said:

I'm not quite sure what you are getting with this. Leakage currents are electrical signals, thus they propagate through conductors at close to the speed of light. There ARE several things that can take days to change are oxidation levels on connectors and static buildup.

All the "isolation" being done to help block leakage currents can also leave a system susceptible to static charges developing between segments of a system which might change how things sound. These can build up over time.

John S.

Thank you.  The role of static was exactly what I was trying to ask about.  In my system, unplugging just one component can change restore the sound to its highest level if I haven't done that in a while.  It seems like it doesn't matter much which piece of gear in the chain gets unplugged, but DACs have always been a good place to start the experiment.   In the past, I've also tried the IsoTek "rejuvenation" (their term for it) disc.   Their theory is that playing the disc through the system de-magnetizes the system.  Was wondering what you thought about that theory.  

But there is also a different phenomenon from static, at least it seems separate from the static issue.  And that is that over time some noise reduction tweaks seem to lose efficacy.  Perhaps it just my ears getting used to the new sound over time and therefore no longer hearing the "large" change that first occurred.   

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

Maybe it was already covered somewhere but there are too many threads and answers around this so I have to ask myself :-)

I plan to add an optical Rendu to my system and my question about recommended chain with ER and Optical Rendu, with and without Optical Module Deluxe

what would you guys recommend:

1. Router --> Optical Module Deluxe --> Optical Rendu
  2. Router --> ER copper B to Optical A side --> Optical Rendu
  3. Router --> Copper ER A to B --> Optical Module Deluxe --> Optical Rendu
  4. Router --> standard optical converter --> Optical ER A side to  Copper B side --> Optical Module Deluxe --> Optical Rendu

My tendency is to think that option 2 is probably the simplest and best configuration, but then I'm left with nothing to do with my optical module deluxe :-),

Option 3 on one hand uses the ER in the preferred orientation but on the other hand adds the Optical module deluxe as another piece in the chain. 

44 minutes ago, GMG said:

Maybe it was already covered somewhere but there are too many threads and answers around this so I have to ask myself :-)

I plan to add an optical Rendu to my system and my question about recommended chain with ER and Optical Rendu, with and without Optical Module Deluxe

4. Router --> standard optical converter --> Optical ER A side to  Copper B side --> Optical Module Deluxe --> Optical Rendu

My tendency is to think that option 2 is probably the simplest and best configuration, but then I'm left with nothing to do with my optical module deluxe :-),

Option 3 on one hand uses the ER in the preferred orientation but on the other hand adds the Optical module deluxe as another piece in the chain. 

I use option 2 with my optical Rendu.

My ER replaced an Optical Module (original version), which replaced a TrendNet FMC.  The ER is a clear SQ upgrade.

I have no idea if other options work better, but, if you have a new OM Deluxe, it’s easy enough to test option 3.  

I didn’t bother.  Instead, I used my TrendNet FMC and the OM to introduce an optical segment in the chain connecting the ultraRendu in my second system to the router.

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

8 hours ago, GMG said:

Go with option 2 and forget about the Optical Module. I once had two of those in my system, and never could feel they improved SQ. I returned them. But as always, this is system dependent.

16 hours ago, GMG said:

Or just purchase the $99 Mikrotik. (And expand from there). That’s actually the cheapest way to utilize the opticalRendu. Leaving cheap FMC out. There is also the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X as a good option. I taught they had a SFP+ option as well. Couldn’t find now. 

Please use single mode fiber in whatever you do. 

If you want the EtherRegen, you should get the 50 ohm version. That won’t make any restrictions in selecting the best (AfterDark) clocks.

People really shouldn’t purchase the 75 ohm version, if they ever think they will experiment with external clock. 

I predict in 3 to 4 years form now, clock interfaces will be optical. So in the end I may not matter 😂

Thanks. 
I already own the ER and OMD

I’m adding the optical rendu

already running single mode today from OMD to ER and then from B side to network player (miniDSP SHD Studio, which I’m replacing with OR, as I no longer need the HW solution  for Dirac - found a perfect way to implement Dirac with Roon/HQPlayer)

On 6/14/2021 at 2:10 PM, GMG said:

Since you already have the OM deluxe and ER, you could experiment with options 1, 2 or 3. Choose the option that sounds best to you. If it works best with all boxes in place, good, if you end up with a spare box, you can keep it as back-up or sell it for some extra pocket money.

As others have said, use single mode optical fibre with 1310nm wavelength transceivers to give your system the best chance at great audio.

Cheers

GG

20 hours ago, GMG said:

I already own the ER and OMD

I’m adding the optical rendu

Then I suggest as option 5 in your list: placing the opticalModule upfront the EtherRegen, which requires a switch or router upfront with a SFP/SFP+

Reason to suggest  it’s been widely reported that a better clock upfront the EtherRegen helps. 
(I’m doing this myself). 

How will you power the opticalRendu ?

And what is the opticalRendu replacing ?

12 hours ago, GryphonGuy said:

As others have said, use single mode optical fibre with 1310nm wavelength transceivers to give your system the best chance at great audio.

I'm not sure about that. I have the 3 pieces afterdark groupbuy SFP+ modules here. I use them between 2 EtherRegens, but the 1310 nm version is certainly not the best sounding here.

11 hours ago, Johnnydev said:

I'm not sure about that. I have the 3 pieces afterdark groupbuy SFP+ modules here. I use them between 2 EtherRegens, but the 1310 nm version is certainly not the best sounding here.

Ooh a tease. I like it.

Which wavelength transceivers sounded best there?

Are you using single mode or multimode fibre?

Regards

GG

• 1 month later...

Hello guys

I bought a pair of this SFP modules, as recomended by Alex:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U77VPX2/

to connect with my ER and my Ubiquiti ER-X-SFP Router, but it doesn´t work. The seller of it told me it should work with my router, but it doesn't. It seems that the ER and the Ubiquiti don't recognize each other. 

Just by chance, has anyone tried this SFP module with this router or another Ubiquiti one? Any advice? Can it be something related with configuration of the Router?

I've already tried pushing the SFP connectors firmly into the SFP sockets with no result.

Thank you!!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm trying to set up a Small Green Computer Sonicorbiter i5 that I recently bought. I've been using a Windows 10 (Home version) PC with the Ether Regen that follows my router. I PC wasn't seeing the Sonicorbiter (I had them both plugged into the Ether Regen). I got Andrew Gillis on the phone to help me troubleshoot and found out from him that there are compatability issues between the Ether Regen and  the Sonicorbiter I5.  He said to plug it into the router instead. I did that and now can see the Sonicorbiter i5. My question is does this degrade the sound quality? TIDAL sounds more grainy to me now. I'm still having trouble with "click and drag" for the music files I have burned into the PC . I'm not sure how to do it. Can someone recommend a simple tutorial for me on how to do this? Good listening. Jeff L

7 hours ago, yoby said:

I got Andrew Gillis on the phone to help me troubleshoot and found out from him that there are compatability issues between the Ether Regen and  the Sonicorbiter I5. 

Sorry, but Andrew is incorrect.  There are many EtherREGEN owners with the SonicTransporter i5.  Please contact me directly--including a description of your connections and location on the network of whatever is running your Roon Core server. We can assist you from there.

Thanks,

--Alex C.