IGNORED

EtherREGEN: Installation, Usage, Difficulty, Questions thread

Hello, @Superdad, @JohnSwensonand others here on the forum. I am having a configuration problem with my new EtherRegen.

if I run Ethernet from my Ubiquiti switch directly to my microRendu (brand new version), and USB from there to my Okto DAC, HQP sees all and Roon playback works fine. 

If I run the Ethernet first to a Sonore optical module (the microRendu sized case), then fiber from there to the EtherRegen and Ethernet back out of there to the microRendu, it does not work. 

I note the difference is that by adding in the EtherRegen, only the amber light on the microRendu is on (flickering of course).  Without the EtherRegen, the microRendu also has a solid green light running. 

Same outcome if I bypass the optical module and run Ethernet straight into the EtherRegen — no green light on the microRendu. 

Any clue as to what is going on here?  Thanks. JCR 

2 hours ago, jrobbins50 said:

If I run the Ethernet first to a Sonore optical module (the microRendu sized case), then fiber from there to the EtherRegen and Ethernet back out of there to the microRendu, it does not work. 

I note the difference is that by adding in the EtherRegen, only the amber light on the microRendu is on (flickering of course).  Without the EtherRegen, the microRendu also has a solid green light running. 

Same outcome if I bypass the optical module and run Ethernet straight into the EtherRegen — no green light on the microRendu. 

Any clue as to what is going on here?  Thanks. JCR 

@jrobbins50 I had this issue recently when I was adding a master clock to the ER.  My solution was that once everything is connected to then remove power to the OpticalModule for a minute.  Everything worked normally after that.

I think it may have to do with resetting the IP addresses of the ER and any connected devices.  Hopefully this works for you.

32 minutes ago, jrobbins50 said:

@magnium, an excellent suggestion — but unfortunately, that did not fix things for me. Still no green light on the microRendu if it runs through the EtherRegen. JCR 

Hi:

Traveling with family matters this week so have to be brief.

Pretty sure your issue is being caused by the optical SFP transceiver module you are inserting into the EtherREGEN. 

What transceivers are you using in both the opticalModule and the EtherREGEN?

Try pushing them in even harder than you would expect to need to. 

Also, there is a known but still mysterious issue sometimes with the SFP transceivers that Sonore has been shipping. Sometimes they don’t work reliably in the EtherREGEN—despite the fact that @JohnSwenson designed both models with the exact same SFP cage, connector, and positioning. 

Here is the link to an inexpensive SFP module that is compatible with what Sonore ships—and which works well in the EtherREGEN. This one has solved the problem for a number of users. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U77VPX2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_Oa2nllPidwC9B

Thank you, @Superdad.  Following up here after our telephone conversation a few minutes ago.  @magnium, you'll be pleased to learn that your suggestion DID work -- I walked away from the equipment for 10 minutes, came back and the microRendu was discoverable over the network and music is playing out now just fine.

Alex believes that the microRendu green light relates to 1Gb connections, whereas the B side of the EtherRegen is 100Mb.  So, it may well be normal operation for the green light not to be on when using a microRendu through an EtherRegen.  I will test and/or confirm this with the Sonore/SGC folks.  Cheers.  JCR

35 minutes ago, jrobbins50 said:

Alex believes that the microRendu green light relates to 1Gb connections, whereas the B side of the EtherRegen is 100Mb.  So, it may well be normal operation for the green light not to be on when using a microRendu through an EtherRegen.  I will test and/or confirm this with the Sonore/SGC folks.  Cheers.  JCR

The microRendu *may* be different, but my ultraRendu LED goes green when fed from the B side of the ER.

TP-Link MR6400 4G router > Uptone EtherREGEN reclocker > Sonore Signature Rendu SE streamer > Gustard U18 DDC > Gustard X26 Pro DAC > Belles SA-100 power amp > Usher Dancer Be-20 speakers. AfterDark clocks x 2. PS Audio P3 & P10 regenerators.

https://theaudiostandard.net

Hey guys, 

I started a second system in the bedroom, and am thinking of how to incorporate an EtherRegen just before the dac/streamer. 

The WiFi router in the bedroom is about 3.5m to 4m away from the audio setup. I am intending to use a fiber optic cable between to the ER. But my WiFi router does not have an sfp port. 

Which would be a good option? 

A) buy a new wifi router with an sfp port (does such a thing exist?) 

B) keep using my old router and hook it up to a cheap ethernet to fiber optic media converter 

C) keep using my old router and hook it up to a sonore optical module deluxe 

I'm leaning to options B and C. 

35 minutes ago, Roasty said:

Hey guys, 

I started a second system in the bedroom, and am thinking of how to incorporate an EtherRegen just before the dac/streamer. 

The WiFi router in the bedroom is about 3.5m to 4m away from the audio setup. I am intending to use a fiber optic cable between to the ER. But my WiFi router does not have an sfp port. 

Which would be a good option? 

A) buy a new wifi router with an sfp port (does such a thing exist?) 

B) keep using my old router and hook it up to a cheap ethernet to fiber optic media converter 

C) keep using my old router and hook it up to a sonore optical module deluxe 

I'm leaning to options B and C. 

You may also get a switch with SFP ports like the ubiquiti ES-8-150W (this is what i plan to do). 

However, i am still thinking if Etherregen is worth getting after watching the review of audio “science” review.

20 hours ago, jomsjoms said:

“science”

Orlando-Ferguson-flat-earth-map_edit.thumb.jpg.7a7eef4483fe5a0bc714aa7d1da62658.jpg

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

17 hours ago, jomsjoms said:

You may also get a switch with SFP ports like the ubiquiti ES-8-150W (this is what i plan to do). 

However, i am still thinking if Etherregen is worth getting after watching the review of audio “science” review.

Let your ears be your guide.

Digital: 1Gbs Fiber to house, then to endpoint > looks like copper from endpoint to router (all stock from ATT) > Router to "A" side is Monoprice Cat 5e Monoprice > ER "B" side 3' Supra 8+ to wall (ER has SR4T LPS)  > 15-20' Cat 5e run to audio room > 3' Supra 8+ to Aurender N10.

System: TAD Evolution system: M2500 amp, C2000 pre/DAC, E-1 speakers. Aurender N10, ER, SR4T LPS.

9 minutes ago, acousticsguru said:

Historically, there's always been a time when we didn't know what we know now.

Well said! You hit the nail in the head, your entire post. I quoted the above to simply say that once something has now been measured and discovered (like the examples you mentioned above, I can add more, including "measuring" that the earth is round and goes in orbit around son, not vice-versa), these types will simply move to the next item to naysay, as if nothing happened. they will continue to do their "job"

Alex, John and/or others can I ask you a EtherRegen use question/advice?

SITUATION: 

Today I sold my SGC sonicTransporter I5 and purchased an Antipodes EX Server.

- Note: The Antipodes EX has 2 Ethernet Ports and sonicTransporter I5 had only 1 Ethernet Port

This is how I was using my EtherRegen before todays sale of sonicTransporter I5 and purchase of Antipode EX

eR Side A had sonicTransporter I5 > Verizon FiOS Router plugged in

eR Side B had Ethernet DAC (Bricasti MISE - Ethernet DAC) plugged in  

QUESTION

Now with the purchase of Antipodes EX with its 2 Ethernet ports what is best way to use with EtherRegen?

- Should I plug Verizon FiOS Router into one port of Antipodes EX and use the 2nd port to feed into eR Side A and then  eR Side B to feed my DAC. Only difference from sonicTransporter I5 use  being that I will be putting the Verizon FiOS Router into one port of the Antipode EX rather than another port on eR? 

or 

- Should put eR before Antipodes EX?

I am just not sure the best way to use this new server with 2 Ethernet ports with my EtherRegen and my AfterDark Clock. I know I can try them both and see what I like best but wanted to ask what you guys think will work best? I would rather just do it best and stick with it. 

Thank you 

Ypsilon Phaethon Integrated Amplifier w/6H30DR NOS Tubes / SR Orange Fuses > Bricasti Design M1SE MDx DAC w/Network Card / Roon Endpoint > Focal Sopra 2 Loudspeakers >   Antipodes S40 (v5.2H Board / K30 Engine) Audio Server + Antipodes S60 HSL50 Hybrid Linear Power Supply (2-Rails) w/AfterDark Silver Reference Black River Series DC Cables Uptone Audio EtherRegen Network Switch / Re-clocker > AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10MHz Master Clock Sin wave 75ohm w/Mini Circuits BLP10.7+ BNC Filter > AfterDark Black River Carbon Fiber 75ohm BNC Master Clock Cable  > AfterDark Modernize LPS x2 12V (2-Rails) > Wyred 4 Sound PS-1 LPS (4) Rails  > Solid Tech ROS Reference Model 4 Audio Rack System  > SRA Ohio Class XLIsolation Platform Synergistic Research Tranquility Basik Isolation Platform Active w/MIG 2.0 Footers and Silver Tuning Bullet  > Solid Tech Small TT Isolation Platform (3-Shleves) Tara Labe: The One Power Cord 2.0M (5-Cables> Audience AU24se HP 1.0M AC Power Cable  > Nordost Frey 2 Speaker Cables 4.0M Spades > Nordost Frey 2 XLR Interconnects 1.0M > High Fidelity Cables Reveal XLR Interconnects 5.0MAudioquest Vodka and Cardas Clear Ethernet RJ/E Cables  > Synergistic Research Atmosphere Acoustic Field Generator Tower Mini w/ATM Red Tuning Module  > (15Synergistic Research HFT’s (6PS Audio Noise Harvesters;
 DESKTOP 2nd SystemDali Menuet Loudspeakers (Gloss Black) > Rega Brio Integrated Amplifier (2021)Denafrips Aries II R2R DAC > Singxer SU-2 USB Digital Interface > Antipodes S40/S60 Audio Server / Roon Core (Networked from Main system) >Apple iMac Retina 5k 27-Inch (2021) Roon Remote / USB AudioKanto S6 Desktop Speaker Stands > Cardas Neutral Reference Speaker Cables 1.0M  Spades > Darwin Ascension Plus Silver Interconnects RCA 0.3M > Tara Labs The One AC Power Cord (2) > Zu Event MKI AC Power Cable 1.0M > Cardas Clear USB Cable 1.0M > Curious Cables USB Regen LinkBlack Cat Silver Star BNC S/PDIF Cable 1.0M > Synergistic Research Tesla QLS-6 Power Strip 

~ Fsmithjack            
 My Website  https://ctronicmusic.com/ 

Ypsilon  Bricasti  / Focal  Uptone Nordost / AfterDark / Solid Tech  

46AC9095-7EB4-4698-82FE-FC5E9E837893.png

So, I embarked on my optical transport experimentation journey. Here is my chain:

image.thumb.png.9275ff475b3eb6f6822d5563a72d7142.png

From ER on, the power is provided by 4 LPS1.2 and 2 Farads.

The result were utterly disappointing. The sound quality has really worsened. I did not expect this to be so harsh and piercing. :(

So I switched back to copper. And am contemplating next steps.

Continue playing out optical options? A different transceiver?  Attenuators ?

Maybe forgo optical for now and insert an "audiophile switch" upstream?

Maybe add clocking to ER and Switch?

On 11/3/2020 at 1:14 AM, Superdad said:

c) All clocking--coming from a state-of-the-art jitter-attenuating clock synthesizer (itself referenced to a Crystek CCHD-575 or to an external 10MHz clock) is run as LVDS (low-voltage differential signaling).

In contrast, the Sonore opticalModule, while easily the world's best FMC, does not contain any of the above. Like all other switches and FMCs, it has just a single clock domain and no active isolators.

So even the new oM Deluxe doesn’t contain a CCHD-575 ? 
And no isolation, so it won’t isolate the B side of EtherRegen when the EtherRegen is used in a B>A setup. 

DFFC784C-0F9E-4B88-B3A4-51A11EFCCA09.jpeg

1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

So even the new oM Deluxe doesn’t contain a CCHD-575 ? 

That is not correct. Both the original opticalModule and the opticalModule Deluxe use a Crystek CCHD-575. 

Think you took my words the wrong way or out of context. Its the other EtherREGEN stuff (dual clock domains, all differential clock lines, differential isolators, and ultra-low-jitter flip-flops, etc. that only the EtherREGEN has.

15 minutes ago, Superdad said:

That is not correct. Both the original opticalModule and the opticalModule Deluxe use a Crystek CCHD-575. 

Think you took my words the wrong way or out of context. Its the other EtherREGEN stuff (dual clock domains, all differential clock lines, differential isolators, and ultra-low-jitter flip-flops, etc. that only the EtherREGEN has.

Thanks Alex. 

And sorry for “abuse” your words. Really not my intention. 

Still will implementing the oM (deluxe) add some sort of isolation ?

(Or only reclocking). 

I’m afraid that since the RJ45 goes into EtherRegen, the possible effect is low, and can only be achieved by using the LPS-1 or LPS-1.2.