IGNORED

EtherREGEN: Installation, Usage, Difficulty, Questions thread

Hi Charles,

Thanks - my head is spinning, I'm not really sure what happened there but that's cool. Few hundred billion galaxies each with a few hundred billion stars so no biggie.

I have no idea what percent of Roon/etherRegen have the moat issue. All I have is my data point that my ability to play music A to A is much much better than A to B, where I get frequent time-outs from Roon.

I'll be rewiring for new internet service soon so will have to see how she works then. Thanks to UpTone's advice I know to wire a coax along with the optical to give me some flexibility.

-Mike

There are so many SFP modules it seems hard to know what the get.

I got a great connection using Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL and FCG FiberCables Direct.com 20 meter LC LC Cable.

Connecting an etherRegen and a bone-stock MikroTik 4011 that was simply temporarily placed into the home network, for now.

Seems to work fine

Thyname,

The irony in you insulting me for not reading something that does not exist on the Uptone website, while refusing to read the original post you are responding to is indeed rich. Please see the comment from Superdad in the post you are responding to. I don't know any more ways to tell you where the information is that you are asking for. Please read the post to which you originally replied. There, that was one.

It sounds like you did not do enough reading BEFORE you replied. If any. Yeah… reading is still a thing. Clearly available reading in my original post before you submit your post. Very hard reading, right? Who does that anymore?

3 minutes ago, mfsoa said:

Thyname,

The irony in you insulting me for not reading something that does not exist on the Uptone website, while refusing to read the original post you are responding to is indeed rich. Please see the comment from Superdad in the post you are responding to. I don't know any more ways to tell you where the information is that you are asking for. Please read the post to which you originally replied. There, that was one.

It sounds like you did not do enough reading BEFORE you replied. If any. Yeah… reading is still a thing. Clearly available reading in my original post before you submit your post. Very hard reading, right? Who does that anymore?

So ONE single guy reporting his EtherRegen does not work with Roon when going from A to B makes this a fact? A source? 😂😂. This is ridiculous. If not insane.

There are literally hundreds of people with EtherRegen and Roon who have zero issues. 

It is a known issue per the manufacturer and and I have shown you where Alex said it. But please keep ignoring this again and again. I did not say anything that the manufacturer did not say, had you read up on it. Enjoy your etherRegen, I'm sure it works fine for you and many others. I look forward to setting mine up under new network conditions to see if my issue persists. 

Alex sorry for this mess, I think you and your company are great.

2 hours ago, charlesphoto said:

@mfsoa No mention of Roon anywhere on the Uptone etherRegen page (checking as I'm considering buying one and also a Roon lifetime user) 

@charlesphoto you do have 30 days to try it in your particular network.   I've been using Roon with the an etherREGEN since 11/2019 (subsequently added another) with no issues.    Irrespective of Roon, it is interesting the wide variety of systems (worldwide, it seems) that have been improved by this little box.  Worth checking out.  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

13 minutes ago, PYP said:

@charlesphoto you do have 30 days to try it in your particular network.   I've been using Roon with the an etherREGEN since 11/2019 (subsequently added another) with no issues.    Irrespective of Roon, it is interesting the wide variety of systems (worldwide, it seems) that have been improved by this little box.  Worth checking out.  

Yes, just been dragging my feet and then when I almost pulled the plug a couple of months ago they were out of stock. I've been running a pair of opticalModules since they were released so I am a believer in network tweaking. Just not sure how much better the eR will be than the oMs but like you say I've got thirty days to find out. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

45 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

Yes, just been dragging my feet and then when I almost pulled the plug a couple of months ago they were out of stock. I've been running a pair of opticalModules since they were released so I am a believer in network tweaking. Just not sure how much better the eR will be than the oMs but like you say I've got thirty days to find out. 

before I purchased a second eR, I used an oM with an eR and, in my system, they worked very well together.  With the second eR, the oM no longer improved the sound so it went to another home.    Not trying to spend your money, just reporting what I found (to my ears, in my system...).   It did take nearly a month for the eR to settle in my system, but the improvement was evident long before that.    

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

5 hours ago, mfsoa said:

Regardless if it is Roon's "fault" or not, it kinda stinks that I can't use the EtherRegen as intended due to the "Roon doesn't like to cross the moat" issue. I wish I had known this prior to purchase. I simply want to insert it into my Roon network prior to my endpoint, but it does not work in this way.

Can you draw or explain your network ? Any managed switches ?

Thanks - BTW Roon, EtherREGEN, SonoreUPnP Bridge running on an UltraRendu with UltraCap LPS1 PSU into my Naim NDS with 555DR PSU has worked well for me for the last 2 years (since Nov '19 and the 1st batch of EtherRegens).
No networking issues, playback of all supported formats by the NDS (upto 24/192 PCM, DSD64) and all others catered for by Roon Core (MQA, DSD128/256/512, 24/384, 24/768 etc.)
Do have issues with the recent Roon releases, but it is in their software and not any playback mechanics. 

On 1/9/2022 at 11:02 PM, PhilSLG said:

Thank you for your opinion and insights.  The Bridge II was great when I removed the USB from my Nucleus, but I’m very interested in the options you have recommended, especially the Mano.  Did you go for the SR Purple fuse?

Hello 

very keen to hear more about your experiences switching between the BridgeII & I2S inputs in your DS Snr DAC as I have the Jnr & have been wondering whether I can improve my SQ by moving away from the Bridge?

My system is:

Generic 8 Port switch > Supra cat 8 > TP Link MC110 > Fibre > MC110 > Silver/Copper Cat 8 with Telegartner connection > Innous Zen Mini (ROON Core) > Cat 8 with Telegartner connection > PS Audio DS Jnr > Ayre Pre > Rogue Audio MB-180 Monoblocks.

I’ve been considering investing in a Renolabs switch & placing a DDC in between my Innous & DAC…which I would then use the I2S input on my DAC

I’ve been reading about the Gustard U18 but before I pull the trigger I’m interested to know if people have already done this & what improvements it made, if any?

Cheers all

Matt

Man Cave: 2CH: VPI Aries Scout + Hana SL MC Cart > Gold Note PH-10 / PS Audio PW Transport / Innous ZEN Mini Mk 3 (ROON Core) + LPSU > PS Audio DirectStream Jnr > Ayre KX-5 > Rogue Audio M-180 Monoblocks > Dynaudio Focus 380's HT: Sony 4K BD > Sony VW60 > Integra DRX3.1 > Dynaudio X24 Centre + Monitor Audio rears. Family Room: 2CH: Matrix Mini-i 3Pro > Bel Canto Pre3 > Bel Canto REf500s 2CH AMP HT: Sony UHD BD > Denon X4000 > Dynaudio Emit 20 + X22 Centre + in-ceiling B&W's.

Cables & Misc: Man Cave: PAD Musaeus & Antipodes Komako XLR's / Bills Pinnacle Speak Cables / Audio Principe & Voodoo Power Cords + Isotek Aquarius Power Conditioner Family Room: Audio Principe XLR's, Speaker & Power Cables / Elijah USB cables.

Tubes: 12AX7/ECC83: NOS Telefunken 1963, Mullard CV492, Brimar + Stock Elecktra Harmonix. 12AU7/ECC82: NOS Valvo E80CC's, 1963 RCA "Conn" Organs Long Plate Clear tops, RCA Blackplates, Tungstrum + Stock Electra Harmonix.  KT120: Tsung-Tol

Lol…it’s been a while since I posted here, looks like I need to update my system in my signature 😳😬

Man Cave: 2CH: VPI Aries Scout + Hana SL MC Cart > Gold Note PH-10 / PS Audio PW Transport / Innous ZEN Mini Mk 3 (ROON Core) + LPSU > PS Audio DirectStream Jnr > Ayre KX-5 > Rogue Audio M-180 Monoblocks > Dynaudio Focus 380's HT: Sony 4K BD > Sony VW60 > Integra DRX3.1 > Dynaudio X24 Centre + Monitor Audio rears. Family Room: 2CH: Matrix Mini-i 3Pro > Bel Canto Pre3 > Bel Canto REf500s 2CH AMP HT: Sony UHD BD > Denon X4000 > Dynaudio Emit 20 + X22 Centre + in-ceiling B&W's.

Cables & Misc: Man Cave: PAD Musaeus & Antipodes Komako XLR's / Bills Pinnacle Speak Cables / Audio Principe & Voodoo Power Cords + Isotek Aquarius Power Conditioner Family Room: Audio Principe XLR's, Speaker & Power Cables / Elijah USB cables.

Tubes: 12AX7/ECC83: NOS Telefunken 1963, Mullard CV492, Brimar + Stock Elecktra Harmonix. 12AU7/ECC82: NOS Valvo E80CC's, 1963 RCA "Conn" Organs Long Plate Clear tops, RCA Blackplates, Tungstrum + Stock Electra Harmonix.  KT120: Tsung-Tol

On 1/9/2022 at 10:02 PM, FrankMA said:

Hi @PhilSLG - a couple of thoughts on where you might go in the future since I have your DAC, ER and have owned/tried the Matrix X-SPDIF2:

1. Not surprised. The Bridge II card in the DirectStream DAC is not very good. All other options always beat it in my testing
  2. Agree I2S is probably the way to go with that DAC based on my testing
  3. I don't think Roon recommends using USB out of the Nucleus to output audio. Something about separating out the server/output functions. Better to just have the Nucleus (running Roon server) avail on your network to serve up files

Saying that if I were you I would try to get the noisier Nucleus device on the A side of the ER (other side of the moat). Of course to do that you need a Roon Endpoint to connect from the ER B Side via LAN. 2 devices come to mind:

1. Sonore ultraRendu (LAN In to USB out) or the
  2. Mano Ultra MKII (LAN In to I2S Out)

I am using the latter to great effect with your DAC:

https://magnahifi.com/mano-ultra-music-streamer-high-res/

Only $1100 or so delivered. No LPS required (only a std power cable).

Sounds great and was far superior in my setup to the Matrix/Farad Super 3 and also better than my previous USB chain which was very good (and at a greatly reduced cost): Innuos MKII SE > ER/Farad Super 3 > A Side > ER B Side > Sablon 2020 LAN > Sonore ultraRendu/Farad Super 3> Phasure Lush 2 USB > Innuos PhoenixUSB Reclocker > Sablon 2020 USB > DS DAC

Good luck

Hi FrankMA,

im interested in your experience with the Mano & how you’ve integrated this with your Zenith & DS DAC.

As you will see from my previous posts, I’m looking into installing a DDC taking the USB output of my Innous (or do you suggest the Ethernet output?) then using the I2S input on my DS Jnr DAC?

As the Mano is an endpoint, when playing ROON, do you see both the Mano & the PS Audio in audio output options? I’m assuming you still use DS to “play”?

Cheers

Matt

I have a dilemma.

I have had my Signature Rendu SE Optical connected via A side SPF, with the copper coming out of the wall going into the B side.  Unfortunately, the rendu currently is on the fritz, so I switched temporarily to a Raspberry Pi 4 running Ropieee XL, which needs a copper connection.  I turned the ER around in my cabinet, ran the wall cable to the ER A side and another cable from the ER B side to the Pi.  

The Pi actually sounds great, but I am going to go back to using the rendu when I get it up and running again.  However, I would like to keep the Pi connected as well.  

So here's the issue:  I recall that a device using the SPF should be the only one connected to the A side, and that’s how I have run it before now, but that's not possible if I want to keep the Pi and Rendu connected at the same time.  Is there a way to keep both the SPF connection, a copper connection to the Pi, and the copper from the wall to the ER all running without loss of the ER’s isolation virtues?

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

12 hours ago, mattjtaylor2809 said:

Hi FrankMA,

im interested in your experience with the Mano & how you’ve integrated this with your Zenith & DS DAC.

As you will see from my previous posts, I’m looking into installing a DDC taking the USB output of my Innous (or do you suggest the Ethernet output?) then using the I2S input on my DS Jnr DAC?

As the Mano is an endpoint, when playing ROON, do you see both the Mano & the PS Audio in audio output options? I’m assuming you still use DS to “play”?

Cheers

Matt

Hi Matt - My requirement was LAN>I2S because I am using the Uptone EtherRegen (which I would highly recommend) vs outputting from the Innuos. I have heard from some Roon insiders that Roon does not recommend that the same device act as a core and also output audio which led me to not use the Innuos (although Nuno at Innuos would disagree).

So I am Innuos > EtherRegen (A Side) > Ether Regen B Side > LAN > Mano > I2S > PS DAC

However if you want to use the Innuos to output audio, I would recommend the LAN Out > Mano > I2S > PS DAC

The Mano would be active as the endpoint in Roon. You would no longer see the PS DAC but it is processing the signal. This is just how Roon sees it

MAIN: Sonore Optical Module Deluxe/Farad Super 3 (7v) > Uptone EtherRegen/Farad Super 3(9v)/AfterDark Emperor Signature/Farad Super 3 (12v) > Innuos Zenith MKII SE (ER A) > ER (B) > Meitner MA-3 DAC > Ayre K-5xe MP Preamplifier > Ayre VX-5 Twenty Amplifier  > Vandersteen Quatro Woods

POWER: AQ Niagara 5000 > AQ (Hurricane)/Triode Wire Labs/Shunyata Python/Nordost Blue Heaven/Audience AU24 SE/Audio Sensibilities Sig Silver

CABLING: Silversmith Audio Fidelium Speaker/Sablon Pantela Reserva 2020 Lan/Ghent JSSG360 Cat 6/AQ Earth & Pegasus/Aurelis Deuland 75ohm

ISOLATION: Stillpoints/Symposium/IsoAcoustics/Herbie's/PS Audio Powerbase

The Bridge II card in the PS DAC is not very good. Easily beat out by every other input on that DAC IME

MAIN: Sonore Optical Module Deluxe/Farad Super 3 (7v) > Uptone EtherRegen/Farad Super 3(9v)/AfterDark Emperor Signature/Farad Super 3 (12v) > Innuos Zenith MKII SE (ER A) > ER (B) > Meitner MA-3 DAC > Ayre K-5xe MP Preamplifier > Ayre VX-5 Twenty Amplifier  > Vandersteen Quatro Woods

POWER: AQ Niagara 5000 > AQ (Hurricane)/Triode Wire Labs/Shunyata Python/Nordost Blue Heaven/Audience AU24 SE/Audio Sensibilities Sig Silver

CABLING: Silversmith Audio Fidelium Speaker/Sablon Pantela Reserva 2020 Lan/Ghent JSSG360 Cat 6/AQ Earth & Pegasus/Aurelis Deuland 75ohm

ISOLATION: Stillpoints/Symposium/IsoAcoustics/Herbie's/PS Audio Powerbase

I am a long time EtherREGEN user (from the first batch on) and I am quite happy with this device, and before that: the good old USB Regen. Support is exceptionality good as everyone knows. I want to mention that before my question: lately, I have some UPnP/DLNA connections problems (stuttering) with Audirvana Studio (AS) and I don't know if AS can solve this, because UPnP/DLNA is a tricky business with different implementations, I haver read. It's quite irritating for some time now, so I can do three things: wait until they solve this, or not, go to ROON, or change my Yamaha Player for the Audio Stack Link 2, or UltraRENDU, I have had before. They say the Link 2 device is also cleaning up the signal, but I am asking myself: is this necessary behind the Etherregen and are there experiences out there? At this moment my Yamaha NP-S303 player is connected as a digital ethernet audiobridge with a QED reference optical cable to my Cord Qutest DAC. This optical connection is also cleaning up, I think. Any opinions out there? 

Thanks in advance!

12 hours ago, Mike Rubin said:

Is there a way to keep both the SPF connection, a copper connection to the Pi, and the copper from the wall to the ER all running without loss of the ER’s isolation virtues?

You could of cause purchase a second EtherRegen 😀 (I think that’s the only way). 

But how about use the pi as now, and add your opticalModule between EtherRegen A and the Signature SE ?