IGNORED

EtherREGEN: Installation, Usage, Difficulty, Questions thread

7 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

How about doing a test in reverse B>A and fiber to Lumin ?

The Lumin U1 does not have a fibre input, the test is not possible. In any case, the agonising wait must pass first before anything else is tried. As reported, the best effort is when the source cable and the target cable are plugged into the A ports.

I nearly burnt my hand in moving the ER off the router, that thing also runs hot, so the two of them create a nasty situation. In measuring the case of the ER, still reads 43C with an ambient of 26C.

With regard to thermal stability, I have planned to switch the ER on with the rest of the system which is on demand. The thought of the ER running all the time is a waste. Doesn't move the socks.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

@MartinT

I agree with Martin. 

Digital: 1Gbs Fiber to house, then to endpoint > looks like copper from endpoint to router (all stock from ATT) > Router to "A" side is Monoprice Cat 5e Monoprice > ER "B" side 3' Supra 8+ to wall (ER has SR4T LPS)  > 15-20' Cat 5e run to audio room > 3' Supra 8+ to Aurender N10.

System: TAD Evolution system: M2500 amp, C2000 pre/DAC, E-1 speakers. Aurender N10, ER, SR4T LPS.

On the etherRegen, can I go into the B side 10/100 port (fed from a Cisco 2960 1gb) and then out the A side SFP and 1000 ports?

The SFP to an opticalRendu,  RJ45 to an opticalModule pair, the ROON NUC in on another.

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

3 hours ago, charlesphoto said:

On the etherRegen, can I go into the B side 10/100 port (fed from a Cisco 2960 1gb) and then out the A side SFP and 1000 ports?

That’s what I did until 5 hours ago to my opticalRendu. 
I then added a opticalModule Deluxe. (B side of cause) 
I haven’t listen more than 3 track, but I think the effect was huge. 

Normally one would avoid other items on the A side, but that opticalModule may ensure the effect is more positive than negative. 

I’m planning to do something similar myself with the old opticalModule. But I’m planning to use a Mikrotik as a replacement for the 2960, so I can have 3 optical interfaces. 
One from the 2960. Two for the OM’s. 

I will also try the way you plan. 

Hi! May I know anyone running his etherREGEN using 12V LPS all these while? I have chanced upon a used Farad Power Super3 @ 12V which I am considering to get it for my etherREGEN. Will there be any negative impact using 12V for long term? Thanks

APPLE Mac Mini | HUAWEI S5700 Dual OCXO Network Switch | SONORE opticalRENDU | SINGXER SU-6 | HOLO AUDIO MAY L3 | CLASSÉ CAP-80 | RAIDHO X-1

DENON DP-300F + NAGAOKA MP-110 • NAIM Muso QB • YAMAHA YSP-2700

APPLE MacBook Pro | TOPPING 10s | KINKI STUDIO THR-1 | HIFIMAN Arya

I have been running at 12v with an LPS 1.2 for a year. Everything does run hot, but I haven't had reliability issues of which I am aware. 

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

1 minute ago, xllms said:

May I know anyone running his etherREGEN using 12V LPS all these while?

Hi:

As indicated in the EtherREGEN User Guide—and on the back panel of the unit itself—any +DC voltage in the range of 7~12V is perfectly fine.

The EtherREGEN consumes the same wattage regardless of input voltage. 
The heat does not vary with input voltage.

And—assuming same performance of the power supply at different voltages—the sonic performance of EtherREGEN will be the same from 12V as from 7V.

Thank you for the prompt reply, Superdad. Will there be any sonic difference with different Voltages?

APPLE Mac Mini | HUAWEI S5700 Dual OCXO Network Switch | SONORE opticalRENDU | SINGXER SU-6 | HOLO AUDIO MAY L3 | CLASSÉ CAP-80 | RAIDHO X-1

DENON DP-300F + NAGAOKA MP-110 • NAIM Muso QB • YAMAHA YSP-2700

APPLE MacBook Pro | TOPPING 10s | KINKI STUDIO THR-1 | HIFIMAN Arya

• 2 weeks later...

I have had my etheregen for a while and it works fine.

have just set up roon and qobuz out of curiosity. It works fine if I connect to the internet through my buffalo switch to server to streaming dac.

However if I put the ER between the server (A) and dac (B) roon can’t find the dac?

any advice appreciated.

13 minutes ago, dctom said:

I have had my etheregen for a while and it works fine.

have just set up roon and qobuz out of curiosity. It works fine if I connect to the internet through my buffalo switch to server to streaming dac.

However if I put the ER between the server (A) and dac (B) roon can’t find the dac?

any advice appreciated.

You probably need to bridge the server. I guess you have two RJ45 interfaces that you use. 

14 minutes ago, dctom said:

Hi:

Can you please describe your system and connections more clearly? I assume that in addition to your server you are also attaching a network feed to another of the EtherREGEN's 'A' side ports?  And what is on the "DAC side" with the DAC? Is it a DAC with Ethernet input or some streamer?  Models of all this please.

Thanks.

2 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

You probably need to bridge the server. I guess you have two RJ45 interfaces that you use. 

Thanks Andreas but I think you are jumping WAY ahead since he has to describe his set up and gear. (And "bridging" in the server is not something we normally recommend as there is much that can go wrong with that.)

Thank you for the responses.

I should have applied the classic IT solution before posting🤔

Switching the ER on and off several times established a connection!

The ER provides an improved SQ over the direct connection greater transparency and dynamics. 

However roon is not providing the same quality as I am obtaining from my nvme m.2 local storage through HQP. From what I have read I believe this is a common result.

Still, pretty amazing considering the data is coming down a phone line from I don’t know where!

8 hours ago, Superdad said:

Thanks Andreas but I think you are jumping WAY ahead since he has to describe his set up and gear. (And "bridging" in the server is not something we normally recommend as there is much that can go wrong with that.)

Just to share with the community that the eR in my systems sound far better after the server than before it! This configuration also benefits the files in the HD and not just the ones that come from streaming. 

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

8 hours ago, soares said:

Just to share with the community that the eR in my systems sound far better after the server than before it! This configuration also benefits the files in the HD and not just the ones that come from streaming. 

Mini-Circuits BLP, What is yr experiences till now? Is it the BT7 or Afterdark ?

My order will be shipped tomorrow from UK

Ethernet::4x Bonn Silent Angel 8P, Afterdark Emperor Doublr  Crown Masterclock and Cybershaft 75 Ohm,Mini Circuits convertor,Uptone EtherRegen with 75Ohm. SOTM Cat CAT 7.

Audio: Auralic Vega G2.1, Cambridge Edge W, Kef Reference 3 speakers.  
Power: Farad super 3 (2x) , Keces P8 ( 2 Uptone LPS1.2 ) Afterdark 5V: 

Cables:Meicord Opal, SOTM Cat7 with filtering, Ghent Audio DC , Farad Level 2, Sharkwire speaker cable

With both BT7 and the AfterDark EG, the Mine-circuit improves noticeable SQ.

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

44 minutes ago, soares said:

With both BT7 and the AfterDark EG, the Mine-circuit improves noticeable SQ.

😀😍

Ethernet::4x Bonn Silent Angel 8P, Afterdark Emperor Doublr  Crown Masterclock and Cybershaft 75 Ohm,Mini Circuits convertor,Uptone EtherRegen with 75Ohm. SOTM Cat CAT 7.

Audio: Auralic Vega G2.1, Cambridge Edge W, Kef Reference 3 speakers.  
Power: Farad super 3 (2x) , Keces P8 ( 2 Uptone LPS1.2 ) Afterdark 5V: 

Cables:Meicord Opal, SOTM Cat7 with filtering, Ghent Audio DC , Farad Level 2, Sharkwire speaker cable

Hi,

Is there a list of SPF's that are known to work with the EtherREGEN (maybe on Uptone's site)?  I reconfigured my audio network last year with the intention of adding a EtherREGEN down the road, which I just purchased this week.  I've now discovered the TP-Link TL-SM311LM SFP's I put in my network aren't compatible (to the best of my knowledge they meet the listed requirements).  Yesterday I purchased a pair of 10Gtek ASF85-24-X2-D as they appeared to be what someone else was successfully using, but they don't work either.  All four SFP's work perfectly with my TP-Link router / FMC.  My EtherREGEN seems to work with CAT6 in/out in my home office, but I already pulled 60' of fiber to my audio room so I either abandon the EtherREGEN entirely or find SFPs that work.  Are their any known compatible models that I should be trying to purchase, or do I just keep rolling the dice?  Or have I possibly just ordered units that don't meet the EtherREGEN requirements?

Thanks in advance