IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Listening Impressions

@scolley I did not notice the high res correlation on my system , I listen to lots of Spotify and you tube on my system and all media sees the same uptick in SQ. I also have qobuz for high res.

My dac (Lyngdorf TDAI3400) upsamples/downsamples every thing to 24 biz 96khz , I can hear marginal improvement on some material at high res but it's a narrow delta for me way way  less that the improvement the Etherregen brings and way way less than a better power supply to the Etherregen brings too.

I heard the potential straight out of the box with better detail , better dynamics and better bass but 24 hours in a layer if harshness is gone and I think it continues to improve over a few more days. I would say mine was burnt in fully after about 5 days. Music is much more natural sounding after 5 days.

Enjoy your new toy.

23 minutes ago, Discopants said:

I did not notice the high res correlation on my system...

My dac (Lyngdorf TDAI3400) upsamples/downsamples every thing to 24 biz 96khz ,

I'm not going to suggest - for a moment - that I'm correct. I'm just a sample of one, which has no real meaning. But if I am right, maybe your upsampling is the reason you don't hear much of a difference between high and redbook-res. Thoughts?

Digital Sources: Meitner Audio MA3 DAC, AudioQuest Dragonfly Cobalt, Roon ROCK (NUC8i5, Akasa Plato 8x case, 8GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 1TB SSD), UpTone Audio EtherREGEN, Tidal, Qobuz. Preamplifier: none. Power Amplifier: Bel Canto e.One REF500S. Loudspeakers: GoldenEar One.R's with Herbie’s Threaded Stud Glider footers, Focal Stellia headphones. Cables: digital - Wireworld Starlight 8 Ethernet, StarTech SFPGLCLHSMST single-mode 1310nm SFP module and Small Green Computer 1 GB FMC connected by Corning LC-LC single-mode 9/125um duplex fiber; speaker - Silversmith Audio Fidelium; interconnect - Silversmith Audio Fidelium XLR; AC - Wireworld Silver Electra 7 and Electra 7; external clock - Auralis Audio Duelund Pure Silver BNC. Accessories: Power supplies - UpTone Audio JS-2’s (no stock PS’s); OCXO clock for ER - Project Clay X Geismann OCXO 10MHz Emperor Signature edition 75 Ohm; cable risers - AudioQuest Fog Lifters; power conditioning - PS Audio Stellar Power Plant 3, AudioQuest Jitterbugs; AC receptacle - PS Audio Powerport Classic, Block Audio C-Lock Lite; vibration isolation - IsoAccoustic Orea Graphite footers (amps), Symposium Accoustics RollerBlock Jr's w/Tungsten balls for DAC. Room: 26' 2" W x 11' 6" D x 7' 9" H, heavily absorbent furnishings, plaster walls, suspended and carpeted wood floor.

1 hour ago, scolley said:

One thing is certain, I could not be more thrilled with the purchase. 🙂

PS - I will mention that based on my brief experiences, independent of obvious your-mileage-may-vary-on-your-network considerations, I would suggest that if you can normally clearly hear the difference between high-res tracks and 44.1/16, then this is a slam dunk. If you can’t though, this may be a tweak that your system may not resolve quite so well.

PPS - I hear FAR far greater differences over my speakers than my headphones.  My cans are Oppo PM-3’s with stock cable, amplified by a Mytek Brooklyn Bridge. But that difference may well be due to having invested much, much more in my speakers and speaker amplification, which could be a bit of evidence backing up my conclusions above: the better your system resolves sonics, the better improvements the EtherREGEN can bring.

What is your speaker based system?

21 minutes ago, JamesBardsley said:

What is your speaker based system?

Nothing that special in the high end audio world these days, but better than my cans...

The DAC is the same Mytek Brooklyn Bridge (powered by a JS-2), connected to a pair of PS Audio M700 monoblock amps by Nordost Heimdall 2 interconnects. Speaker cables are Silversmith Audio Fideliums (the best kept secret in hifi now, IMO) connected to Goldenear Triton One.R speakers. All powered by a PS Audio Stellar Power Plant 3 AC regenerator, with either Nordost Hemdall 2 or Wireworld Electra 7 AC power cords. And all of that on generally very inexpensive vibration isolation kit from Herbie's Audio Lab.

I like the Oppo PM-3's. But they don't hold a candle to the sound coming out of the speakers. Especially now. 🙂

Digital Sources: Meitner Audio MA3 DAC, AudioQuest Dragonfly Cobalt, Roon ROCK (NUC8i5, Akasa Plato 8x case, 8GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 1TB SSD), UpTone Audio EtherREGEN, Tidal, Qobuz. Preamplifier: none. Power Amplifier: Bel Canto e.One REF500S. Loudspeakers: GoldenEar One.R's with Herbie’s Threaded Stud Glider footers, Focal Stellia headphones. Cables: digital - Wireworld Starlight 8 Ethernet, StarTech SFPGLCLHSMST single-mode 1310nm SFP module and Small Green Computer 1 GB FMC connected by Corning LC-LC single-mode 9/125um duplex fiber; speaker - Silversmith Audio Fidelium; interconnect - Silversmith Audio Fidelium XLR; AC - Wireworld Silver Electra 7 and Electra 7; external clock - Auralis Audio Duelund Pure Silver BNC. Accessories: Power supplies - UpTone Audio JS-2’s (no stock PS’s); OCXO clock for ER - Project Clay X Geismann OCXO 10MHz Emperor Signature edition 75 Ohm; cable risers - AudioQuest Fog Lifters; power conditioning - PS Audio Stellar Power Plant 3, AudioQuest Jitterbugs; AC receptacle - PS Audio Powerport Classic, Block Audio C-Lock Lite; vibration isolation - IsoAccoustic Orea Graphite footers (amps), Symposium Accoustics RollerBlock Jr's w/Tungsten balls for DAC. Room: 26' 2" W x 11' 6" D x 7' 9" H, heavily absorbent furnishings, plaster walls, suspended and carpeted wood floor.

Nice system - must be very revealing of the audio data.

I can see why hires would sound better than 16/44 on that.

Your theory that being clearly able to distinguish hires from CD res is a good proxy for deciding whether to get an ER seems spot on to me.

It is entirely in line with what I've noticed among those members on the various threads about the ER (and the English Electric switch) on the Naim forum, which is where I mainly hang out.

Sorry if you said it above, but what do you use as a psu for your ER?

6 minutes ago, JamesBardsley said:

Your theory that being clearly able to distinguish hires from CD res is a good proxy for deciding whether to get an ER seems spot on to me.

Thank you. 🙂

7 minutes ago, JamesBardsley said:

Sorry if you said it above, but what do you use as a psu for your ER?

I didn't mention it as I'm just using the stock PS. I COULD use the 2nd line of my JS-2, but as I understand it from @Superdad, I'd have to reverse the A and B sides (no big deal there), since it's also powering the DAC, BUT I also could not have anything else on the A side. And that's a problem as I'm plugging my Roon ROCK (Intel NUC) into the EtherRegen also. So all the goodness I heard was just with the stock PS.

Interesting.

Why not get an 8 port Cisco 2960?

These are very high quality telecoms switches that cost hundreds new but can be bought for about £50 on Ebay or say from a reseller like ECProf.

(I worked for BT for a decade.)

This would provide more ports on your network for Roon, AV stuff etc. and also take traffic away from your streamer/dac.

Also, most users report that the big SQ uplift comes when they add the psu.

The (Sean Jacobs) Custom HiFi Cables DC3 is used with 1 and 2 ERs by several members of the Naim forum with very revealing systems.

Anyway, it seems sensible to give the ER a try with a better quality psu.

4 hours ago, Discopants said:

@scolley I did not notice the high res correlation on my system , I listen to lots of Spotify and you tube on my system and all media sees the same uptick in SQ. I also have qobuz for high res.

I also hear an across-the-board uplift in performance from standard 16/44 material right up to 24/192 on Qobuz.  I'm using two reclockers and the rhythmic timing and detail in music is incredible.

TP-Link MR6400 4G router > Uptone EtherREGEN reclocker > Sonore Signature Rendu SE streamer > Gustard U18 DDC > Gustard X26 Pro DAC > Belles SA-100 power amp > Usher Dancer Be-20 speakers. AfterDark clocks x 2. PS Audio P3 & P10 regenerators.

https://theaudiostandard.net

17 hours ago, JamesBardsley said:

Anyway, it seems sensible to give the ER a try with a better quality psu.

Thanks for the suggestion on the switch. But my EtherREGEN has replaced a switch recommended by John Swenson. It's idle now, so I could use that. But I was not so quick to do so, due to the following comment I copy/pasted from the UpTone Audio EtherREGEN page.

"While high-quality power supplies make a nice difference most everywhere else in a music system, we personally are not hearing very much change with power supplies and the EtherREGEN (certainly owing to its great isolation and internal power networks)."

If you add to that the comment from Hans Beekhuyzen that in his experience (as I recall) the up-tick in performance by upgrading the PSU on an ER was only marginal, I'm a bit skeptical about any claims of significant improvement. Though after my ears have become fully accustomed to this new sound, I will give it a shot. Nothing to lose. But my ears are going to have to acclimate to this new sonic goodness first.

15 hours ago, MartinT said:

I also hear an across-the-board uplift in performance from standard 16/44 material right up to 24/192 on Qobuz

I'm sure. Other people's mileage is going to vary. I assume by "across the board" you mean an equal uplift? Otherwise, I'd say I have an across the board improvement too: everything's better. But the improvement to hi-res is more.

Looking at your gear has me wondering if maybe this is another metric? You've got me beat on the gear side, so I wonder if my experience of a larger improvement in hi-res would go away with better gear. Hmm...

Thanks for sharing.

I would almost say it's in reverse with 16/44 benefitting the most. Yes, 24/192 sounds awesome but actually red book material can sound almost as awesome.

TP-Link MR6400 4G router > Uptone EtherREGEN reclocker > Sonore Signature Rendu SE streamer > Gustard U18 DDC > Gustard X26 Pro DAC > Belles SA-100 power amp > Usher Dancer Be-20 speakers. AfterDark clocks x 2. PS Audio P3 & P10 regenerators.

https://theaudiostandard.net

21 minutes ago, MartinT said:

I would almost say it's in reverse with 16/44 benefitting the most.

That's very interesting. I wonder why we are having the opposite observations? I'm guessing that in my particular setup, I was previously being getting short changed on some of the detail on high-res content (though it always did sound much better than 44.1/16), and now it's being revealed in a form much closer to its real potential.

And with that, I might conclude. Don't want to take this thread too OT. 😉

11 hours ago, scolley said:

If you add to that the comment from Hans Beekhuyzen that in his experience (as I recall) the up-tick in performance by upgrading the PSU on an ER was only marginal, I'm a bit skeptical about any claims of significant improvement. Though after my ears have become fully accustomed to this new sound, I will give it a shot. Nothing to lose. But my ears are going to have to acclimate to this new sonic goodness first.

I tried the Sbooster 12 v with the Sbooster  ultra and you could definitely hear a better SQ. Probably not enough to justify the price. They are feeding my Buffalo 2016 modded. I use a 10gtek fiber with it. It’s a notable improvement with the extraordinary eR. Tomorrow my Farad willl arrive and I am looking forward for a significant improvement. Let’s see... 😊

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

43 minutes ago, RDOK said:

Een goede LPS verbetert inderdaad echt de resultaten met de ER, dat is ook mijn ervaring.

Ik heb een Farad Super3, Paul Hynes SR4 en SR4T geprobeerd en vond ze in die volgorde leuk.

Momenteel gebruik ik de SR4 op de ER omdat de SR4T in gebruik is om een IsoRegen te voeden. Over het algemeen gaf dat het beste resultaat in mijn systeem en in mijn oren.

Bedankt voor uw bericht

zou u alstublieft het verschil tussen de Farad en de SR4T op de ErherRegen  kunnen/willen aangeven?

On 9/2/2020 at 2:49 AM, RDOK said:

The Farad is already very good when powering an ER.

But compared to the SR4(T) the Farad seemed a little more veiled or muddled, a little less open.

The SR4(T) was a somewhat more engaging and natural sounding.

The SR4T is a small but noticeable step better than the SR4 in this respect.

On the ER the input is optical (Planet MGB-TLS SFP) and output a Sablon pre-2020 ethernet cable, both on the A side. That sounds best to my ears.

Thanks for your reply,i can use this. This is in line with the review by @austinpop in his comparison between the Farad super 3 and the Paul Hynes SR4

Any recommendations to mitigate incoming noise from the Coax RF cable that goes into the cable modem? I’ve tried a RF cable isolator and is has helped. My question is are there better RF isolators? Can you use multiples in a chain for further improvement? My goal is to lower the incoming noise as much as possible from the coax RF cable from the cable company.

1 hour ago, Mikey26 said:

Any recommendations to mitigate incoming noise from the Coax RF cable that goes into the cable modem? I’ve tried a RF cable isolator and is has helped. My question is are there better RF isolators? Can you use multiples in a chain for further improvement? My goal is to lower the incoming noise as much as possible from the coax RF cable from the cable company.

This isolator you have is NOT an RF noise filter (if it was an RF filter you wouldn't get any signal, since the signal IS RF). These devices are a broadband transformer that lets the RF through, BUT blocks ground noise which can get developed over the miles of cable on the pole or underground.

If your cable modem doesn't have one of these builtin (some do) then the massive ground current from the cable can get into your system.

There is no "better filter" since what you have already blocks the ground current about as good as it can be done. The only issue is if the transformer is fully passing the RF frequency range used by the cable modem. Most of these were designed for TV and FM radio and may not fully pass the frequencies used by the cable modem. I don't know if the one you have fully does or not. If it works, it probably does!

John S.

17 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

There is no "better filter" since what you have already blocks the ground current about as good as it can be done. The only issue is if the transformer is fully passing the RF frequency range used by the cable modem. Most of these were designed for TV and FM radio and may not fully pass the frequencies used by the cable modem. I don't know if the one you have fully does or not. If it works, it probably does!

John S.

Some of the reviews on Amazon indicate that it doesn't work for everyone and that it may block everything or premium channels (or require a re-boot when the cable company updates the box's software - so works but is inconvenient).  The reviews also mention it doesn't work with a satellite receiver.  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

Thanks for that clarification John. For me it works fully and it clearly makes a difference along with Etherregen in the chain. I can see how a bad ground can mess with everything and the isolator takes care of the issue. I have Spectrum internet. Did a speed test and it is the same or better now. Picture quality of streaming video improved as well. This is the isolator (link below). The great part of this adapter design is you don’t need an extra coax cable.

TII 220 Ground Loop Isolator for Cable TV applications https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0070Q6URO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_KnFuFb8BPSEK4