IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Listening Impressions

1 hour ago, emailists said:

Have you tried Running Bubble on a real computer?  I found it sounds better on my Mac than Mconnect from my phone.  I also set Bubbleupnp to decode to WAV which sounds better than sending my Hegel flac.  

No I only have ipads and a Samsung phone, also my Lyngdorf has the uPNP renderer built in  and it converts everything to PWM anyway . If your phone is apple  I was told Mcconnect actually streams through the phone to the renderer and this is limiting on delivering hi resolution audio formats. 

21 hours ago, Discopants said:

No I only have ipads and a Samsung phone, also my Lyngdorf has the uPNP renderer built in  and it converts everything to PWM anyway . If your phone is apple  I was told Mcconnect actually streams through the phone to the renderer and this is limiting on delivering hi resolution audio formats. 

I use my iPad and mconnectplayer HD to stream from my local server and Qobuz to my microRendu.  Is the app actually streaming the files through the iPad?

Yes, I have used MConnectHD for a few months to stream Tidal and Qobuz to my Naim 272 streamer/DAc/preamp via 2 Cisco Catalyst 2960 switches connected by Power-over-Ethernet (PoE reduces EM noise entering the streamer).

The files are actually transferred via WiFi from my router to the iPad into the MConnect app, then back to the ISP router, then onwards via ethernet cables.

You can test this by swtiching off the iPad and the sound dies.

I've now switched back to the Naim app which sounds better.

You don't get hires by using the MConnect app that way - the maker of the app (Conversdigital) confirmed that to me in an email.

I was told the same as James by a hifi dealer. When I streamed Qobuz to my Lyngdorf from my iPad with Mconnect HD sound quality was comparable to spotify connect, a few tracks I could hear a very marginal improvement. 

Now with Qobuz streams with bubble upnp via android phone i can hear more with hi rez vs spotify. Spotify still sounds great as does you tube but there is a clear difference with 24bit 96k vs spotify on many many tracks (It's hard to know you have the same master admittedly but most material is more detailed).

Digital streaming is a complicated beast.

6 hours ago, JamesBardsley said:

You don't get hires by using the MConnect app that way - the maker of the app (Conversdigital) confirmed that to me in an email.

This is simply not the case with mconnect on Android, I can stream Qobuz hi-rez tracks including 24/192 from a Samsung Tab A to either a Sonore microRendu or a Raspberry Pi running Moode UPnP and everything is played back at the native sample rate, as indicated by the DAC itself.

Please note, I'm not trying to argue, nor state that the stream doesn't flow through the device and if that device is put to sleep the music won't stop, it might depending on buffer settings and if the device is literally put to sleep.

On an Android device if the Settings are such that only the display itself is put to sleep but the device remains awake and running, then the music continues, though the penalty of course is heavier use of the device's battery.

However the notion that you can't then get hi-rez files to playback properly with no downsampling is false, I don't know why they told you that, perhaps they were confused or misunderstood and thought you meant if played back on the iOS/Android device itself.

You can prove this to yourself if you have a DAC with a sample rate indicator, it will show the files are being played back at their native sample rates.

I can even do that on an ancient iPad 2, Qobuz hi-rez files are played back at the native sample rate as rendered by a Sonore microRendu in that case to a SIMAUDIO Moon DAC that has a sample rate indicator. That iPad 2 reached EOL at iOS 9.3, yet still it works just fine with Qobuz over mconnect played back at the track's native sample rates.

5 hours ago, Discopants said:

I was told the same as James by a hifi dealer.

Trust me guys, this is misinformation you were given, and you can prove it to yourself by testing on a DAC with a sample rate indicator, all of the tracks including Qobuz hi-rez will playback at their native sample rates.

Both the HiFi dealer and whomever replied from ConverseDigital were probably confused by the question itself, and thought you were referring to using the device itself as a renderer, and that of course involves downsampling unless a DAC is connected to the device via OTG (Android) or CCK (iOS).

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

Hi Mikey

i was not trying to claim that MConnectHD can only play 16/44.

it can in fact play hi res files.
your use cases prove that

when I use MConnectHD the app itself states the correct bit depth and sample rate for the file

but as mentioned I am playing the files into a Naim 272 streamer 

Naim dacs do not decode MQA so when you play any MQA tracks from Tidal using any streaming gear Tidal just sends the 16/44 equivalent 

In that case the Naim box does not state a sample rate

so how the app works with each dac and signal chain varies 

Jim

On 10/24/2020 at 3:13 PM, JHG said:

I use my iPad and mconnectplayer HD to stream from my local server and Qobuz to my microRendu.  Is the app actually streaming the files through the iPad?

To the best of my knowledge the answer is no, it is simply a matter of the app "owning" the playlist itself, or in DLNA/UPnP parlance, the Control Point owns the playlist as opposed to the playlist residing on the Endpoint/Renderer as with OpenHome.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

• 3 weeks later...

Congratulations on the Ridgeline Alex. Have a 2020 myself. Nice vehicle

MAIN: Sonore Optical Module Deluxe/Farad Super 3 (7v) > Uptone EtherRegen/Farad Super 3(9v)/AfterDark Emperor Signature/Farad Super 3 (12v) > Innuos Zenith MKII SE (ER A) > ER (B) > Meitner MA-3 DAC > Ayre K-5xe MP Preamplifier > Ayre VX-5 Twenty Amplifier  > Vandersteen Quatro Woods

POWER: AQ Niagara 5000 > AQ (Hurricane)/Triode Wire Labs/Shunyata Python/Nordost Blue Heaven/Audience AU24 SE/Audio Sensibilities Sig Silver

CABLING: Silversmith Audio Fidelium Speaker/Sablon Pantela Reserva 2020 Lan/Ghent JSSG360 Cat 6/AQ Earth & Pegasus/Aurelis Deuland 75ohm

ISOLATION: Stillpoints/Symposium/IsoAcoustics/Herbie's/PS Audio Powerbase

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

PRODUCTION AND MISCELLANEOUS UPDATES:

Some here may have noticed that I have not been posting as much lately.  That's because these past few months have our busiest ever. Thanks to you all! :D

Just last week subscribers of the print edition of The Absolute Sound received their December issue--in which appears a terrific multi-page review of EtherREGEN, written by none other than @Puma Cat (aka Stephen Scharf). As if the backlog of e-mail inquires was not already crushing, the has been a new wave into my inbox from TAS readers.

@JohnSwensonhas been working hard on the prototypes for several new projects we are collaborating on (not Ethernet products, so nothing that will supersede your EtherREGENs) and making good progress.

Yet most all my time has been focused on production, shipment and support of our current products. 

While the sheer quantity of new orders--for nearly every model--have be daunting, we continue to keep up and generally are managing to ship everyone's orders about a week ahead of scheduled/promised dates. B| For example, all the EtherREGEN units promised for shipment by November 19th left here yesterday, November 12. And assuming FedEx does not delay delivery of EtherREGEN and ISO REGEN cases past this coming Monday, we will easily get out all the November 24th-promised goods by the 20th.

Below are some recent photos of the shop and production. JS-2s are labor intensive so it has not been easy to continue weaving 25 every 6 weeks alongside EtherREGEN production of hundreds.  (Neither a larger space nor more staffing are possible during the pandemic.)

I did finally decide to retire our 2001 AWD minivan--with 280,000 miles and a wildly unbalanced drive-shaft. Plane travel is not appealing anymore (actually never was for me), and although my wife and I used to enjoy camping we are at the age where a bed and bathroom are desirable. So we are buying a small travel trailer. I never saw myself buying a truck (I thought a Tesla Model Y was going to the first new car I ever bought), but that's where we ended up--for towing the new trailer. I refused to buy a planet-choking V8, and wanted something that felt like more like driving a car. So the independent rear suspension V6 Honda Ridgeline is where I ended up. Fun, sporty, and holds a lot of stuff! (Yes, that in-bed truck is large enough to discreetly move a body; our 19 year old son proved that by fitting himself in! x-D) In the mountains we'll be towing slowly but that's okay.

This is a tragic time worldwide with Covid19 rising. I am thankful for having our sons safe at home with us (in a county with few cases) and for the stability afforded us by the success of UpTone (my wife's non-profit environmental education organization has been in "hibernation" mode for most of the year; its survival uncertain). Still we feel awful for all that is happening--so we try to help by making donations, both domestically and internationally.

Wishing everyone well,

--Alex C.

IMG_3303.JPG.95a862e28a78ce6231805ba7ecb12e37.JPG

IMG_3242.JPG.5485b9148b09873232b5182e1173466e.JPG

IMG_3305.JPG.44d1c458661e804d5671b13b8dd9cbd7.JPG

IMG_3297.JPG.5d90adf6129403f043f3f78a5bee0899.JPG

IMG_3298.JPG.a7edb630a6cf16798cc10530eec10047.JPG

Congrats Alex !!

ER + PH DR7T - TAIKO Server + PH DR7T ( HQPOs + ROON ) JCAT XE USB - Lampizator Baltic 4 - D-Athena preamp - K- EX-M7 amp - PMC Twenty5 26

I did finally decide to retire our 2001 AWD minivan--with 280,000 miles and a wildly unbalanced drive-shaft. Plane travel is not appealing anymore (actually never was for me), and although my wife and I used to enjoy camping we are at the age where a bed and bathroom are desirable. So we are buying a small travel trailer. I never saw myself buying a truck (I thought a Tesla Model Y was going to the first new car I ever bought), but that's where we ended up--for towing the new trailer. I refused to buy a planet-choking V8, and wanted something that felt like more like driving a car. So the independent rear suspension V6 Honda Ridgeline is where I ended up. Fun, sporty, and holds a lot of stuff! (Yes, that in-bed truck is large enough to discreetly move a body; our 19 year old son proved that by fitting himself in! x-D) In the mountains we'll be towing slowly but that's okay.

This is a tragic time worldwide with Covid19 rising. I am thankful for having our sons safe at home with us (in a county with few cases) and for the stability afforded us by the success of UpTone (my wife's non-profit environmental education organization has been in "hibernation" mode for most of the year; its survival uncertain). Still we feel awful for all that is happening--so we try to help by making donations, both domestically and internationally.

Wishing everyone well,

--Alex C.

I second the Ridgeline -- our 2010 has been a real workhorse. As you say, lots of space, good performance and your 2020 should handily beat our 2010 in fuel economy. Ours tows our 17' Casita Independence Deluxe travel trailer like a charm (we're like you -- our sleeping on the ground days are behind us!) and the ride is what you would expect from an IRS SUV. The Ridgeline and the Honda Pilot share the same basic platform.

Stay safe as you can, Alex. Hopefully there is a light at the end of this tunnel with the announcement of one vaccine and one or two others imminent. If we can just get through this winter. . .

Steve Z

VPI-HW40 Anniversary turntable, Grado Aeon3 cartridge; Teres turntable, VPI Fatboy gimbal, Dynavector XV1-S, Lyra Helikon mono; Taiko Audio Extreme server, dCS Vivaldi DAC, Upsampler Plus and Clock, Cybershaft OP21 Reference Clock; Playback Designs Pinot ADC; D'Agostino Momentum M400 amplifiers, Momentum HD preamp, Momentum phono stage; Wilson Audio Alexx speakers, 2X3 SVS SB16 Ultra subwoofers; Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR & Typhon, Shunyata Sigma NR & Alpha NR power cords, Sigma interconnects, digital and speaker cables; Stillpoints ESS grid system rack; Stillpoints Ultras and Ultra 5s, component stands and cones under everything, ASC Tube Traps . . . and lots and lots of music.

2 hours ago, zettelsm said:

Stay safe as you can, Alex. Hopefully there is a light at the end of this tunnel with the announcement of one vaccine and one or two others imminent. If we can just get through this winter. . .

Steve Z

Hi Steve:

Great to hear from you again. It has been a long while since we have seen you round these parts!

Just spent the morning installing a Redarc Tow Prow Elite brake controller (just a tiny knob on the dash, not funky box to bang one's knee on). The trailer we are picking up next week is the InTech Sol Horizon Rover. My wife is extremely excited about it. I need another hobby and vehicle to insure like I need a hole in my head. x-D But aside from camping this will be a way for us to visit family. We can park it in my sister's driveway in Santa Fe, or at my mom's in Petaluma.

Sorry for the off topic...

Cheers,

--Alex C.

12 hours ago, Superdad said:

this will be a way for us to visit family

... once "the thing" is over!

;)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

15 hours ago, Superdad said:

Hi Steve:

Great to hear from you again. It has been a long while since we have seen you round these parts!

Just spent the morning installing a Redarc Tow Prow Elite brake controller (just a tiny knob on the dash, not funky box to bang one's knee on). The trailer we are picking up next week is the InTech Sol Horizon Rover. My wife is extremely excited about it. I need another hobby and vehicle to insure like I need a hole in my head. x-D But aside from camping this will be a way for us to visit family. We can park it in my sister's driveway in Santa Fe, or at my mom's in Petaluma.

Sorry for the off topic...

Cheers,

--Alex C.

Thank you for input

On 11/13/2020 at 11:41 AM, Superdad said:

PRODUCTION AND MISCELLANEOUS UPDATES:

Some here may have noticed that I have not been posting as much lately.  That's because these past few months have our busiest ever. Thanks to you all! :D

Just last week subscribers of the print edition of The Absolute Sound received their December issue--in which appears a terrific multi-page review of EtherREGEN, written by none other than @Puma Cat (aka Stephen Scharf). As if the backlog of e-mail inquires was not already crushing, the has been a new wave into my inbox from TAS readers.

@JohnSwensonhas been working hard on the prototypes for several new projects we are collaborating on (not Ethernet products, so nothing that will supersede your EtherREGENs) and making good progress.

Yet most all my time has been focused on production, shipment and support of our current products. 

While the sheer quantity of new orders--for nearly every model--have be daunting, we continue to keep up and generally are managing to ship everyone's orders about a week ahead of scheduled/promised dates. B| For example, all the EtherREGEN units promised for shipment by November 19th left here yesterday, November 12. And assuming FedEx does not delay delivery of EtherREGEN and ISO REGEN cases past this coming Monday, we will easily get out all the November 24th-promised goods by the 20th.

Below are some recent photos of the shop and production. JS-2s are labor intensive so it has not been easy to continue weaving 25 every 6 weeks alongside EtherREGEN production of hundreds.  (Neither a larger space nor more staffing are possible during the pandemic.)

Wishing everyone well,

--Alex C.

IMG_3303.JPG.95a862e28a78ce6231805ba7ecb12e37.JPG

IMG_3242.JPG.5485b9148b09873232b5182e1173466e.JPG

IMG_3305.JPG.44d1c458661e804d5671b13b8dd9cbd7.JPG

IMG_3297.JPG.5d90adf6129403f043f3f78a5bee0899.JPG

IMG_3298.JPG.a7edb630a6cf16798cc10530eec10047.JPG

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the update that the EtherREGEN review is out in the print issue of TAS for December, 2020. I haven't received my issue yet as I have a digital subscription (😉). Congrats on the new Honda Ridgeline, I have friends that own them and they are very, very happy with them. I've been driving and riding Honda Motor Co. products for the better part of 40 years, so I am big fan of the company. Enjoy your new wheels! 

All best,

Stephen

Digital: Mac Mini/Roon Core/Optical Module->long run of fiber->EtherREGEN->SOtM UltraNeo->Schiit Gumby DAC. Shunyata Sigma Ethernet/Alpha USB Amplification: First Sound Presence Deluxe 4.0 preamp, LP70S amp Speakers: Harbeth 30.2/Power/Cables: Shunyata Everest 8000, Shunyata Sigma XC and NR, Alpha XC and NR, & Venom 14 Digital PCs, Alpha V2 ICs and SPs.  

• 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Superdad said:

And just 'one more thing': We are now permitted to announce that in the January issue EtherREGEN is winning an award for "Technology Breakthrough."

That’s so great Alex. (Make digital great agin 😀). 

Now I really looking forward to those 3 to 5 new possible products in pipeline inheriting  this technology used in etherRegen. 

Any expected month you think we will know about latest new product ?

BTW. I guess I can post links:

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/how-to-optimize-digital-streaming-with-optical-fiber/ (last page). 
But this is obviously not the review mentioned above. 

Loving my ER very much, especially with the recent Paul Hynes SR4T LPS added.

Congrats Alex & John.

Digital: 1Gbs Fiber to house, then to endpoint > looks like copper from endpoint to router (all stock from ATT) > Router to "A" side is Monoprice Cat 5e Monoprice > ER "B" side 3' Supra 8+ to wall (ER has SR4T LPS)  > 15-20' Cat 5e run to audio room > 3' Supra 8+ to Aurender N10.

System: TAD Evolution system: M2500 amp, C2000 pre/DAC, E-1 speakers. Aurender N10, ER, SR4T LPS.