IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Listening Impressions

I just bought the System Optique bundle, so now I'm wanting to transfer my music from my Windows 7 audio computer to my SGC i9. I also have an EtherRegen and am wondering can I transfer my music files out of the old computer by ethernet, THRU the EtherRegen, then to the SGC i9 via ethernet?  Has anyone tried this yet?  I don't know much about computers, so thanks in advance.

58 minutes ago, hifiveharry said:

I just bought the System Optique bundle, so now I'm wanting to transfer my music from my Windows 7 audio computer to my SGC i9. I also have an EtherRegen and am wondering can I transfer my music files out of the old computer by ethernet, THRU the EtherRegen, then to the SGC i9 via ethernet?  Has anyone tried this yet?  I don't know much about computers, so thanks in advance.

Yes, you can with or without etherRegen. But if using etherRegen use the A side, as this is the gigabyte side. (You must have a switch preset. No direct Ethernet cable between W7and i9). 
You need to attach the the SSD in W7. Probably as a network share. Then just use file manager the normal way. 
I assume you have purchased the i9 with extra storage space. 

You can also let the SonicTransporter just browsed your W7 if you don’t have the available disk space in the i9. 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026635/windows-map-a-network-drive

Her is the guide:

http://www.sonicorbiter.com/docs/file_transfer

Also I suggest you use copy, and not move function in Windows  😀

I don't have an etherregen, but I do a number of other Sonore and Uptone devices, and they can get quite hot, disturbingly so esp during a heat wave, so I've added AC Infinity USB fans per the recommendation of another AS member. Running just on the low setting they do the trick, well built, little to no vibration or noise, and everything runs cool. You can see one in the back of this pic. Inexpensive as well. 

IMG_20200904_131114.jpg

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

Thank's for all your help R1200. I can't wait to get this digital system up and running in. I've been so impressed with both the MicroRendu and then the UltraRendu. I did get 10tb of hard drive in the SonicTransporter i9 and a nice surprise is it came with optical out, so I can go directly to the OpticalRendu. From what I am reading, I may still want to use the IsoRegen to my dac. I always enjoyed the difference it made with the UltraRendu. So I'll use the 1.2 batteries until everybody agrees on the best power supply for the OR. Is anyone using a different power supply for the i9 computer?

1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

You may struggle a lot with the LPS-1.2 powering the opticalRendu. If you try, do not connect USB at startup. Probably 9V works better than 7V. Order a Paul Hynes SR4T is a good solution. (Set at 7V). 

Or the Sonore Power Supply is very good and much easier to get if you're in the US. I run mine with an SR black fuse, Shunyata Venom NR cable on a dedicated circuit with an iFi AC iPurifier and it makes the oR sound incredible. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

Just to share my experience with the Etherregen getting too hot, today I rearranged the Ethernet cables so they are not near the dc power cable of the Etherregen and also away from any other power cables. What happened is now the Etherregen is running much cooler. This tells me the network cables can pick up noise from nearby power cables and cause jitter and so the Etherregen has to work extra hard to reduce the jitter and why the switch gets so hot at times. Your experience might be different.

35 minutes ago, Mikey26 said:

Just to share my experience with the Etherregen getting too hot, today I rearranged the Ethernet cables so they are not near the dc power cable of the Etherregen and also away from any other power cables. What happened is now the Etherregen is running much cooler. This tells me the network cables can pick up noise from nearby power cables and cause jitter and so the Etherregen has to work extra hard to reduce the jitter and why the switch gets so hot at times. Your experience might be different.

Hi Mikey:

While we appreciate you sharing your experience, your conclusions--about noise, jitter, and the temperature of the EtherREGEN are incorrect.  If your were to use a thermal camera or other thermometer probe, you would find that the EtherREGEN runs at the same temperature regardless of cable arrangement (assuming same connections and powered on time to reach thermal equilibrium).

On 8/30/2020 at 6:12 PM, scolley said:

I'm not going to suggest - for a moment - that I'm correct. I'm just a sample of one, which has no real meaning. But if I am right, maybe your upsampling is the reason you don't hear much of a difference between high and redbook-res. Thoughts?

Update on this one. Today I was advised to stream qobuz from my Samsung smartphone via bubbleupnp app where as I was always streaming using Mconnect HD using iPad air.

Well, now I can clearly hear the difference between qobuz and Spotify. 

Soundstage is better defined more microdetails better bass but more noticible in the treble more ambient clues from the recording including some irritating details in the bass musicians moving and a boom that is probably the Mic on the bass drum (cowboy junkies trinity sessions). I can fiddle with my DSP to improve it somewhat, will need to play some more.

Guy told me that iPad and Mconnect actually processed through the iPad. Where as bubbleupnp instructs the streamer to get the data from the web. Something is definitely very different. 

I don't want to derail but had to update on this discovery.

5 hours ago, Bernstein said:

Has anyone experimented with two ER in a chain? What was the outcome (if any)...

Have a chain of 2.  A noticeable improvement in my case. Recommending to give it a shot.

Ref clock makes a difference.

LPS will might make a difference, but I failed my amateurish blind test.

DC Cables? My sides are splitting from laughing. 

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]
Chain switchable to [Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350]

Surround

[Genelec 1032C x 3 + 8431 x 2  + 7360 x 2] <== [MiniDSP U-DIO8] <== [Mac Mini] 

On 9/4/2020 at 2:31 AM, JohnSwenson said:

The only issue is if the transformer is fully passing the RF frequency range used by the cable modem.

@JohnSwenson

hello John,

do you think this isolator would work for cable modem (it is from Jensen a famous name in audio for transformers):

https://www.jensen-transformers.com/product/vrd-1ff/

it says has a bandwith of 2MHz to 1300Mhz

would it work also for a (magnum dynalab) tuner?

17 hours ago, Ricardo007 said:

@JohnSwenson

hello John,

do you think this isolator would work for cable modem (it is from Jensen a famous name in audio for transformers):

I have not tried that particular one, but according to the specs it should work very well.

John S.

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, DaveF said:

can John or Alex give an update on date of next shipment?

Hi David:

Thank you again for your order. 

When you placed your order on October 5th, both the EtherREGEN web page and the order acknowledgment e-mail that was sent promised a ship date of October 29th.  

It is going to be tight (the circuit boards have yet to arrive), but we are still on track to ship on time. 

If it looks like there will be even the slightest delay an e-mail will be sent to everyone that was promised that date.

We appreciate your patience.  

—Alex C.

P.S. October production is all sold out, so new orders placed now will ship by November 19th. (As usual, this is indicated on the EtherREGEN web page.)

On 10/5/2020 at 3:18 AM, Ricardo007 said:

@JohnSwenson

hello John,

I am using it for already 3 years. From what I recall it made a subtle difference on sound and image. Meanwhile I did a couple of upgrades notably eR so I can not comment if with my actual quite tuned equipment it makes a difference. In any case it’s still there.

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

On 10/2/2020 at 4:32 PM, Discopants said:

Update on this one. Today I was advised to stream qobuz from my Samsung smartphone via bubbleupnp app 

Have you tried Running Bubble on a real computer?  I found it sounds better on my Mac than Mconnect from my phone.  I also set Bubbleupnp to decode to WAV which sounds better than sending my Hegel flac.