IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Listening Impressions

6 hours ago, Johnnydev said:

I've had the paul hynes SR4T here, together with the Farad super 3, both with the orange fuses
On the Etherregen in my setup, my preference is clearly for the Farad super 3

Are you able to describe more thoroughly what made you prefer Farad3 more? This is interesting since I own two Farads, but not EtherRegen, at least not yet :)

6 hours ago, Johnnydev said:

I will try to explain a little better what my experiences are with the EtherRegen and various power supplies. Below you will find my review to Mattijs from Farad Super 3.

What equipment are you using in your system, including streamer, DAC, other electronics and speakers?

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates

2 hours ago, Superdad said:

@Johnnydev: While I truly appreciate your enthusiasm for the EtherREGEN and enjoy reading about your experiences with upgraded power supplies (even those not produced by UpTone), such reports really belong in the thread dedicated for those discussions:

We would prefer to keep this current thread focused on user experience and use of the EtherREGEN itself. Thanks!

On that note, and coming on the heels of The Absolute Sound Product-of-the-Year award, we are pleased to report a lovely review and similar award from a French web site:

https://www.threshold-lovers.com/2020/05/25/uptone-audio-etherregen/

and the follow-on and award:

https://www.threshold-lovers.com/2020/11/24/uptoneaudio-etherregen-part-2/

And yet another French review just posted:

http://patatorz.com/2019/12/21/uptone-etherregen-deballage-et-decouverte-au-fil-des-jours/

If only I could travel to France to thank them in person. Actually had plans to take my wife (we have never been to France)but of course the world changed...

The first two reviews are current, and net: "incroyable!"  Certainly they'll be even more surprised if they use something better than stock Cat 6A Ethernet cables (e.g. Shunyata).

The one at patatorz.com appears to be from late 2019.

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates

30 minutes ago, hifiveharry said:

I am ready to copy my 8 tb of music from my old music computer to my new SGC i9 with internal storage. My question is what about sending my files out of the old computer thru my  ETHERREGEN, then to the new SGC i9? Anyone think my files will benefit from this?  Thanks in advance.

I would not think there could be any benefit--though there certainly would be no harm.

The electrical mechanisms by which the EtherREGEN is of benefit (blockage of leakage and phase noise which in turn affect ground-plane noise and clock threshold jitter) are all real-time factors that ultimately pass through to the DAC at play-time. It is not about the data bits.

13 hours ago, Johnnydev said:

However, it kept gnawing whether the Farad super 3 could be even better, so ordered the farad 12V with level 2 DC cable and put the orange fuse in it to make the comparison with the SR4T. The difference was immediately apparent and after anticipating the choice was ultimately clear for the farad super 3. The tranquility, the beautiful full middle, beautifully layered and tight lows, detailed highs and great resolution, together with the live feeling were the deciding factors. Actually the “high-end” feeling that everyone strives for, but this is difficult for me to describe.

Thanks so much for sharing this.  My ER has been powered by an Super3 (also 12V) but I had wondered about the SR4T.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

43 minutes ago, kennyb123 said:

Congratulations @JohnSwensonand @Superdad!!

ditto!

Natural sound that can now fully rival an analog setup - now that is praise. I know I wouldn't be without my ER.

Digital: 1Gbs Fiber to house, then to endpoint > looks like copper from endpoint to router (all stock from ATT) > Router to "A" side is Monoprice Cat 5e Monoprice > ER "B" side 3' Supra 8+ to wall (ER has SR4T LPS)  > 15-20' Cat 5e run to audio room > 3' Supra 8+ to Aurender N10.

System: TAD Evolution system: M2500 amp, C2000 pre/DAC, E-1 speakers. Aurender N10, ER, SR4T LPS.

Hi all,

I have moved from an Aqvox SE to the Etherregen which is a BIG step up in SQ. Another noticable update is using my REF10 as external clock reference. I'm also using a TP-Link optical transmission from my router to the Etherregen which is also sounding better than cable.

From the Etherregen B-Side I'm using an Aqvox Excel Ethernet cable (0.5m) to my Devialet amp.

Now I have replaced the original SMPS with an ifi iPower X 9V which is another small upgrade in SQ.

Now I have 3 places for a possible update: replace the TP-Link optical module with a Sonore optical module, replace the ifi iPower X with a Farad 3 or upgrade the Aqvox Ethernet cable with something else.

Has someone any experience what makes most sense here ? Maybe some of you have also tried and compared the ifi with the Farad.

thanks,

Bernd

14 hours ago, Bernie said:

Hi all,

I have moved from an Aqvox SE to the Etherregen which is a BIG step up in SQ. Another noticable update is using my REF10 as external clock reference. I'm also using a TP-Link optical transmission from my router to the Etherregen which is also sounding better than cable.

From the Etherregen B-Side I'm using an Aqvox Excel Ethernet cable (0.5m) to my Devialet amp.

Now I have replaced the original SMPS with an ifi iPower X 9V which is another small upgrade in SQ.

Now I have 3 places for a possible update: replace the TP-Link optical module with a Sonore optical module, replace the ifi iPower X with a Farad 3 or upgrade the Aqvox Ethernet cable with something else.

Has someone any experience what makes most sense here ? Maybe some of you have also tried and compared the ifi with the Farad.

thanks,

Bernd

Hi Bernd. Try first an opticalModule with a decent LPS first (please note that accordingly to my experience it sounds best with 7 V than 5 V). You will feel the difference. 

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

On 12/21/2020 at 10:47 AM, Bernie said:

Hi all,

thanks,

Bernd

I just can't imagine ifi ipower sounds better than uptone SMPS

57 minutes ago, Johnnydev said:

I just can't imagine ifi ipower sounds better than uptone SMPS

it is the new iPower X, but the difference is indeed very small (compared to what the ER is doing). But if you read through all discussions regarding PS for the Etherregen there is no final conclusion if any PS is better. Some say Keces P3 or P8 is better, some say the original SMPS is better than these, some say the Farad 3 is the best, some others are not sure if it is really better or more different.

If the differences via different PS are so minor then I will skip this option and stick with the ifi.

5 hours ago, Bernie said:

it is the new iPower X, but the difference is indeed very small (compared to what the ER is doing). But if you read through all discussions regarding PS for the Etherregen there is no final conclusion if any PS is better. Some say Keces P3 or P8 is better, some say the original SMPS is better than these, some say the Farad 3 is the best, some others are not sure if it is really better or more different.

If the differences via different PS are so minor then I will skip this option and stick with the ifi.

Agree, and Superdad was telling us from the beginning: it doesn’t make a lot of difference in sound quality. I have the same ifi iPower  x too. The Farad 3 could be best, but to expensive in my opinion, so I am happy with a little bit better.

1 minute ago, jos said:

Agree, and Superdad was telling us from the beginning: it doesn’t make a lot of difference in sound quality. I have the same ifi iPower  x too. The Farad 3 could be best, but to expensive in my opinion, so I am happy with a little bit better.

On the other hand a big high-quality traditional linear power supply with big transformer and large current reserves makes a surprisingly large difference, but also costs more than the ER itself.....

You can't judge relative worth of a PSU like that. I am using a supercap PSU for my ultraRendu which cost 50% more, and an LPSU which cost the same as the EtherREGEN. In both cases, the PSU has made a very significant difference to sound quality. The next best things are the grounding boxes, one each for the uR and ER. They cost about the same as an ER each.

You have to judge sound quality by how much it is uplifted, and cost it up as a whole.

TP-Link MR6400 4G router > Uptone EtherREGEN reclocker > Sonore Signature Rendu SE streamer > Gustard U18 DDC > Gustard X26 Pro DAC > Belles SA-100 power amp > Usher Dancer Be-20 speakers. AfterDark clocks x 2. PS Audio P3 & P10 regenerators.

https://theaudiostandard.net