IGNORED

CD players -- again!

On 10/1/2019 at 10:45 PM, sandyk said:

But have you ever heard a PS Audio PerfectWave Transport CD-DVD-ROM Transport. ... " The PerfectWave Transport will play back WAV files up to 192 kHz/24-bit on DVDs as well as standard CDs. The data is read by a multiple-read drive in a manner akin to Exact Audio Copy (a highly regarded audiophile CD reader) to obtain a bit perfect data stream"

It gives you the best of both worlds, and sounds very good indeed.

Can the PerfectWave Transport be used as a standalone unit, or does it require you to use it with the associated PS Audio DAC?

Also, I was surprised to see, when I checked, the PS Audio no longer sells the Perfectwave Transport!

JC

19 minutes ago, TubeLover said:

Can the PerfectWave Transport be used as a standalone unit, or does it require you to use it with the associated PS Audio DAC?

JC

You can use it with any DAC, not just their own DAC .

My friend did a few modifications in the PSU area of his older model which resulted in a further improvement.

https://hometheaterreview.com/ps-audio-perfectwave-transport-cd-dvd-rom-transport/

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

On 10/3/2019 at 9:15 PM, analogue said:

Speaking of CD transports, I could not contain my laughter from some of the pitches made in this commercial from Cambridge Audio ...

LOL. Ben's working hard! He would have been even more convincing had he used words the word "jitter" in this advert :-).

Archimago's Musings: A "more objective" take for the Rational Audiophile.

Beyond mere fidelity, into immersion and realism.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

On 10/4/2019 at 7:15 AM, analogue said:

Speaking of CD transports, I could not contain my laughter from some of the pitches made in this commercial from Cambridge Audio ...

Apart from the sales speech, probably pretty decent CD transport at very reasonable price point.

Maybe I get one of those for use with my HQPlayer server... 🤔

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

53 minutes ago, Miska said:

What would be the difference with an el cheapo CD player with TOSlink output?

Is lower jitter beneficial when connecting to HQP server?

I remember you mentioned jitter is not a concern with Chomecast Audio's optical output feeding HQPe input.

4 hours ago, asdf1000 said:

What would be the difference with an el cheapo CD player with TOSlink output?

Is lower jitter beneficial when connecting to HQP server?

I remember you mentioned jitter is not a concern with Chomecast Audio's optical output feeding HQPe input.

No difference, probably just how long the drive lasts.  I still have my Pioneer CD/SACD player with digital outputs, but it's my last traditional CD spinner. Have to see how long it lasts. Pickup head of my Sony SACD player died a year ago or something like that.

Since the input side clock is not used in any way to clock output side, jitter is not an issue.

On 10/7/2019 at 7:15 AM, Miska said:

Pickup head of my Sony SACD player died a year ago or something like that.

[...]

Apart from the sales speech, probably pretty decent CD transport at very reasonable price point.

Maybe I get one of those for use with my HQPlayer server... 🤔

So ... replace the "head"  with another. Parts are avail. on eBay. The Sony SACD devices are solid machines. But if you're bored and need a change-o-pace, then the Cambridge is for you.

BTW: In the over two dozen or so CD players/drives that I've owned -- some purchased new, many 2nd hand -- I've NEVER had a laser go out on any product. I have some Philips (Magnavox) CD players from late 1980 in my collection that are still playing flawlessly.  I always make sure they get clean power (= power conditioning, ferrite noise rings, etc.) -- that increases the performance and reliability of  electronics, computers, etc.

48 minutes ago, analogue said:

So ... replace the "head"  with another. Parts are avail. on eBay. The Sony SACD devices are solid machines. But if you're bored and need a change-o-pace, then the Cambridge is for you.

Are you sure Sony SACD pickup heads are available as spare parts? But I have to say I'm not into ordering electronics components from eBay... I'm more used to proper distributors. Anyway, that device has been recycled now.

50 minutes ago, analogue said:

BTW: In the over two dozen or so CD players/drives that I've owned -- some purchased new, many 2nd hand -- I've NEVER had a laser go out on any product. I have some Philips (Magnavox) CD players from late 1980 in my collection that are still playing flawlessly.  I always make sure they get clean power (= power conditioning, ferrite noise rings, etc.) -- that increases the performance and reliability of  electronics, computers, etc.

I think this is kind of known issue with some Sony pickup head models. Older Marantz CD-60 player with Philips CDM transports was working until I put it to electronics recycling.

This unit died in storage, when I put it there, it was still operational. Some five years later not anymore. So didn't get broken because of bad electricity...

1 hour ago, Rexp said:

CD players sound crap, something not right about the format. One day someone will develop a measuring device that identifies all the distortion they produce. 

This is why I repeat "my message" 😜 - so many times. Nothing wrong with the format, but plenty wrong with the attitude of the makers of domestic playback gear - not willing to accept that conventional measurements are not good enough to identify the distortion artifacts that bedevil digital replay; which largely can only be overcome by plenty of DIY effort, in most cases.

@Miska as i think i said earlier i have a yamaha cd dvd dvd-a sacd CHANGER 5 disc with an outlaw audio ICBM bass manager still works beautifully has analogue outs for 5-7.1 system trying to find GOOD home for it with my sacd and dvd-a collection or not- am sure there are some out there on amazon ebay or that audiophile page audiogon(?sic) and here on AS

see my post on this topic #22

i have a place in jamesville ny called HionFi will repair restore almost anything vintage they did to my pioneer elite 6 disc cd changer circa 1988

• 7 months later...
On 10/1/2019 at 8:46 PM, analogue said:

But Darko and Guttenberg never gave an opinion (AFAIK) as to how the spinners compare to files (or flashcard players) or streams.

Ebaen from 6moons compared the Jays Audio CDT to his server.

BTW, a new, quite promising CDT is released, the Denafrips Avatar:

https://6moons.com/audioreview_articles/denafrips6/

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

1 minute ago, lucretius said:

Why not just do a CDT with USB out and rely on the DAC's clock?  How many times need we pay for replication?

You are spot-on 🙂

This is exactly what that upcoming Schiit CD transport is doing. USB output.

You find more info in the Unison thread at the DAC section.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

3 minutes ago, lucretius said:

Why not just do a CDT with USB out and rely on the DAC's clock?  How many times need we pay for replication?

given how well my Linn Genki can do fed into a newer DAC, I can see where a competently built blue ray transport would be attractive. But most digital designers

have no competency in analog (disc spinning) transport. A Linn/Chord joint effort would get my attention.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

I envision a world where the amp (good class D), pre-amp, headphone amp, phono-preamp, DAC, and possibly streamer* are all in one box, leaving only a CD/Disc transport and turntable as separate. The other option is to leave the amp out of the main box and use active speakers.

*Streamers are still evolving too much to be considered “mature” and maybe too soon to be including them in the same box as the amp, etc.

mQa is dead!

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 9:34 AM, Miska said:

It is actually getting a reputation as a bit of a "giant killer".  It certainly looks nice for the money.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

5 hours ago, lucretius said:

I envision a world where the amp (good class D), pre-amp, headphone amp, phono-preamp, DAC, and possibly streamer* are all in one box, leaving only a CD/Disc transport and turntable as separate. The other option is to leave the amp out of the main box and use active speakers.

*Streamers are still evolving too much to be considered “mature” and maybe too soon to be including them in the same box as the amp, etc.

Including low level devices such as RIAA Phono Preamps in the same box as a Class D amplifier will almost certainly lead to mediocrity.  :P

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

17 hours ago, sandyk said:

Including low level devices such as RIAA Phono Preamps in the same box as a Class D amplifier will almost certainly lead to mediocrity.  :P

Why must it be so?  Phono preamps are not that big. Or is it the case that those who build the best phono preamps do not also build amps and vice-versa?

mQa is dead!

7 hours ago, lucretius said:

Why must it be so?  Phono preamps are not that big. Or is it the case that those who build the best phono preamps do not also build amps and vice-versa?

Moving Coil cartridges have very low outputs, and sharing a case with a typical Class D power amplifier will cause numerous problems in reducing the PSU related switching artifacts sufficiently to avoid compromising the S/N of the  MC RIAA Phono Preamp. Try putting an AM portable radio on the LF end of the AM band near the mains lead of most Class D amplifiers and you would realise just how difficult this would be to do well.

"Moving coil cartridges usually have voltage output of less than 1.0 mV (although there are a few "high output" MC cartridges with output of 1.5 mV or so). Moving magnet cartridges usually have output levels in the 3-6 mV range (although a few may run higher)"

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/4/2020 at 12:21 AM, lucretius said:

A laptop can do that, not sure USB is the best connection tho.. I just tried it on mine using Foobar and prefer the HDMI and analog outs. 

JRiver 26 sounds WAY better than Foobar 2000 when playing .wav files from System Memory on my system..

4 hours ago, sandyk said:

JRiver 26 sounds WAY better than Foobar 2000 when playing .wav files from System Memory on my system..

Yes that used to be the case for me but now CD beats wav. The only thing I changed was the power setting on the laptop.