IGNORED

CD players -- again!

Okay, so the Jays Audio model Guttenberg just reviewed on his vlog is a transport ... close 'nough!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4FnlN9x574

So these journalists and vloggers need to put food on the table ... so they keep pushin' out WHATEVER'll give them a few paragraphs full-o-content. Fair 'nough.

But Darko and Guttenberg never gave an opinion (AFAIK) as to how the spinners compare to files (or flashcard players) or streams.

Or how the new spinners compare to models from a few decades ago (say, an eBay purchase). 

I guess it's partly $$ and part BOREDOM. I recall a decade ago Gordon Rankin was shootin' his mouth off at RMAF about how STOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPID spinners were. 

Me ... I've been a files-n-playlist man for over a dozen years. And .... yeah .... they sound better than spinners.

About the Jay's spinner ... so they found a stash of Philips CDM4's and decided to build a product based on that. 

What's weird is that last year, 6moons reviewed a Jay's spinner that featured a CD-Pro transport assemb. 

Don’t forget the Russians, the chi-coms or the mullahs can take down your internet anytime they want.   So it may be wise to have physical back-up.

I've got a very good DAP, IEMs and PV solar panels. And a couple of Glocks to protect it all.

7 hours ago, analogue said:

Me ... I've been a files-n-playlist man for over a dozen years. And .... yeah .... they sound better than spinners.

But have you ever heard a PS Audio PerfectWave Transport CD-DVD-ROM Transport. ... " The PerfectWave Transport will play back WAV files up to 192 kHz/24-bit on DVDs as well as standard CDs. The data is read by a multiple-read drive in a manner akin to Exact Audio Copy (a highly regarded audiophile CD reader) to obtain a bit perfect data stream"

It gives you the best of both worlds, and sounds very good indeed.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

10 hours ago, analogue said:

Just picked up a Jay's Audio CD2 Mk2 . Sounds better than files, really. 30 plus years of Hifi.

Obviously depends on the streaming set up. My initial conclusion was that I would have to spend another £3-5k on improvements to get streaming sounding this good. No MQA though...

I still keep several thousand cd´s on hand at the shelves, since there´s no way I´ll find all the time to copy them anywhere. Most of them are Classical music. Imagine all the pain with metadata etc. 

Unless there´s a robot to do it all, I´m totally interested in a new, durable, high quality silver spinner. And I´m sure I´m not alone ;)

Jussi Arvio

Contributing Editor

Hifimaailma Magazine

4 hours ago, jparvio said:

I still keep several thousand cd´s on hand at the shelves, since there´s no way I´ll find all the time to copy them anywhere. Most of them are Classical music. Imagine all the pain with metadata etc. 

Unless there´s a robot to do it all, I´m totally interested in a new, durable, high quality silver spinner. And I´m sure I´m not alone ;)

Try any of the Innuos servers....Spin once, play many. And really very very little to no trouble with meta data, even across box sets, even opera.  The ideal solution for large CD collections

46 minutes ago, Blackmorec said:

And really very very little to no trouble with meta data, even across box sets, even opera.  The ideal solution for large CD collections

For classical music? I wasn't aware there was a solution, Roon trying and not doing that well. I'm no expert but I though that was the Achilles heel.

Innuos ain't cheap.

6 hours ago, Blackmorec said:

Try any of the Innuos servers....Spin once, play many. And really very very little to no trouble with meta data, even across box sets, even opera.  The ideal solution for large CD collections

Y'are sure? I ripped most of my (classical) discs with a Vault (now using dBpoweramp). The genre can be "classical", "chamber", the composer is Bach, J.S. J. Bach, Johann Sebastian Bach, etc., etc. Especially when you have multiple versions of a work, is seems unavoidable to me to adjust/maintain your metadata with proper software (ymmv, etc.).

But perhaps Innous has the solution to this problem (I am not familiar with their ripping process).

17 hours ago, sandyk said:

But have you ever heard a PS Audio PerfectWave Transport CD-DVD-ROM Transport. ... " The PerfectWave Transport will play back WAV files up to 192 kHz/24-bit on DVDs as well as standard CDs. The data is read by a multiple-read drive in a manner akin to Exact Audio Copy (a highly regarded audiophile CD reader) to obtain a bit perfect data stream"

I have the PS Audio set up (as described above).  Best in the business.  And they issue updates to the DAC every so often.  Today (Audiophile Day BTW) I just uploaded the the latest update.  For Free!  

Right now enjoying some Bob Moses.   Well.....my Salk subwoofers are enjoying Bob Moses.  Profound.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

19 hours ago, sandyk said:

PerfectWave SchmerketWave !!!!!!!!!! I have a cheap Panasonic "discman" from 2005 or 2006 that has an anti-skip buffer. It's similar to EAC, but the discman will give up after a minute or so. You can see/hear the CD speed up when it buffers (the speed-up is WAY higher than tradit. spinners -- more like CD drives).

2 hours ago, NOMBEDES said:

I have the PS Audio set up (as described above).  Best in the business

I don't own one, but I have listened to one owned by a friend.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

I have been paying around with Compact Disk Digital Audio Streaming. Any feedback here or at the link below would be much appreciated. Basically, we are temporally buffering the data on the server with playback at an end point isolated over the home network. Playback control is via a tablet or computer.    

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/57261-sonore-compact-disc-digital-audio-streaming/

2 hours ago, vortecjr said:

I have been paying around with Compact Disk Digital Audio Streaming. Any feedback here or at the link below would be much appreciated. Basically, we are temporally buffering the data....

Well, buffering CDs--for "audiophile" use-- goes back at least to the mid 90s with the Time Lens, which was apparently designed by that Paul McGowan character .

https://www.stereophile.com/digitalprocessors/824/index.html

Methinks, Paul ... ahem ... borrowed ... the technology from elsewhere. Plenty o' other manufs (major players like NEC, Philips and Sony) had digital-audio buffers way earlier than the Lens.

Also,  back in the early 2000s, I think Ayre used some crazy buffer inside one of their players to "buffer" SPDIF.  That is, they moved data inside the CDP from the transport to the decoder/dac sections via SPDIF (not I2S, as is normal for CDPs).

8 hours ago, analogue said:

Well, buffering CDs--for "audiophile" use-- goes back at least to the mid 90s with the Time Lens, which was apparently designed by that Paul McGowan character .

https://www.stereophile.com/digitalprocessors/824/index.html

Methinks, Paul ... ahem ... borrowed ... the technology from elsewhere. Plenty o' other manufs (major players like NEC, Philips and Sony) had digital-audio buffers way earlier than the Lens.

Also,  back in the early 2000s, I think Ayre used some crazy buffer inside one of their players to "buffer" SPDIF.  That is, they moved data inside the CDP from the transport to the decoder/dac sections via SPDIF (not I2S, as is normal for CDPs).

That's all great information. I'm not giving buffering some cute marketing name because it's just a necessity of the process. This isn't local playback with some expensive gear rather an inexpensive way of achieving high quality playback. There is no SPDIF involved in this playback scheme so no concerns over PLLs or source jitter. The PCM data is converted to i2s inside the DAC and the DAC is the clock master.   

i have circa 2005 yamaha 5 disc changer that plays cd's sacd's dvd-a's and dvd's with analog outs 5-7.1 multichannel sound with an outlaw audio ICBM bass manager for the dvd-a and sacd discs out to circa yamaha rx v 2500 avr

the sound was spectacular especially the dead's american beauty and workingmans dead alas don't use the changer anymore anyone want it??? will gladly include my dvd-a and sacd collection

BTW- don't think any streaming service/players i use(TIDAL Qobuz ROON A+3) are as 'good sounding' as those cd's sacd's dvd-a's sound but what  PIA it is now to find the discs take 'em out and play 'em and then put them back--- all that music is available via streaming and then some

BUT i am seriously trying to find a good home for these also have great 7.1 system for above using henry kloss's old company cambridge soundworks ---t newton tower 300's model sixes and s-300 satellites and csw powered subwoofer and 2 sets csw passive subwoofers

anyone interested s please reply

19 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

I sure hope we have a  "revival" of cassette tape.. I've still got a hundred or so I'd like to unload w/out the green trauma of throwing them away...

There are a few members on AudioKarma who collect cassettes.  You might find someone there who would be thrilled to take them off your hands.

At least one or two also collect 8-track tapes, in case anyone has any of those to offload as well.  lol

请教别人一次是5分钟的傻子,从不请教别人是一辈子的傻子