IGNORED

CD players -- again!

7 minutes ago, Rexp said:

Yes that used to be the case for me but now CD beats wav. The only thing I changed was the power setting on the laptop. 

If your PC/Server is well implemented, CD should never beat. wav played from System Memory using a  high quality S/W player  (JRiver 26 , XXHE etc.)  unless you have an expensive player such as the PWT which, also does that , or you own a quite expensive Audiophile player, or perhaps something like the Naim Unitiserve.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

2 hours ago, sandyk said:

If your PC/Server is well implemented, CD should never beat. wav played from System Memory using a  high quality S/W player  (JRiver 26 , XXHE etc.)  unless you have an expensive player such as the PWT which, also does that , or you own a quite expensive Audiophile player, or perhaps something like the Naim Unitiserve.

Best not to dismiss things you haven't heard. Audio is not that predictable. 

10 minutes ago, Rexp said:

Best not to dismiss things you haven't heard. Audio is not that predictable. 

I am basing it mainly on things that I have heard, including several listening sessions with a friend's  P.W.T,  Marantz SA11 etc.

IME, your typical affordable Laptop is not capable of doing 16/44.1 justice unless using USB with Iso Regens etc.as it has too many compromises in the PSU area to conserve battery power.  

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

I have an Audiolab 8200CD. The designer calls it a DAC with built-in CD tray. For streaming, I use a range extender in bridge mode, connected via ethernet to an sMS-200 renderer, streaming zero compression FLAC files from my NAS, via USB to the DAC. Until recently, CD sounded slightly better to me than streaming (streaming had slightly tighter bass, CD had slightly better transparency).

SOtM implemented a couple of firmware updates that improved the sound. They also suggested to use 100BASE-T instead of  1000BASE-T, which made a nice difference. I DIY'ed the Neo upgrade on the sMS. The situation has now changed, and I have a slight preference for the streamer. 

in addition to the built-in CD-ROM tray in the Audiolab, I own an Oppo 980H universal player and Cambridge Audio DiskMagic transport. With both connected via Coax, the Oppo is OK, but clearly a step behind due to slightly opaque sound and compressed soundstage. The DacMagic transport has the most refined sound of the three, but the inboard CD tray has better PRaT, which is more important to me. 

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

17 hours ago, sandyk said:

I am basing it mainly on things that I have heard, including several listening sessions with a friend's  P.W.T,  Marantz SA11 etc.

IME, your typical affordable Laptop is not capable of doing 16/44.1 justice unless using USB with Iso Regens etc.as it has too many compromises in the PSU area to conserve battery power.  

I also connect to a streamer via DLNA which should ameliorate the inherent power supply issues of the laptop.