IGNORED

usb cables?

9 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

If knowledge is updated regularly it changes regularly. Whatever changes regularly does not exist in a first hand, and couldn't be real.

I can tell you aren't a scientist.  Perhaps you are a Sophist.

It is very difficult to show that experimentally verified theory is wrong.  Usually, what happens is that the theory is applied outside its ambit, and eventually modified for these extreme cases.  Examples include quantum gravity, the Lorentz Contraction, Evo-Devo, Fisher's Theorem of Natural Selection, Quantitative Genetics, and etc.

I do not have any examples of modern scientific theory being completely overturned.

The run of the mills electronics used in audio is nowhere near the knowledge frontier.

One might argue that psycho-acoustics is, but in audiophila there are far too many psychos running about unfettered.

13 hours ago, marce said:

Load of crap.

and

Bit like my current favourite system, SET with open baffle speakers... bad though it may be having that distortion, I prefer its presentation to a more accurate system.

Thanks for allowing me to again point out where the confusion has arisen in audioland  :) ... simply put, both the SET, and the supposedly accurate system are adding distortion, audible, to the perceived sound. The SET version is 'nice', and easily measured; the 'accurate' one is relatively unpleasant in many ways, but the anomalies making it so are hard to measure.

The solution is to eliminate both distortion types - which then combines all the bits that you enjoy in the SET rig, with all the pluses of full accuracy.

3 hours ago, kumakuma said:

Your thinking assumes that recordings always accurately capture the live event.

This isn't true and no turd polishing of your equipment can change this.

Recordings have always captured enough information for the mind to reassemble the event that occurred - it may require the ear/brain to do quite a bit of "filling the gaps", and to filter out the irrelevant artifacts; but the power of what's in our head is truly astonishing if it's given half a chance ... I have been amazed so many times, myself, at how recordings that sound truly awful on a setup that constantly draws my attention to the deficiencies, radically change as an experience when the system works well enough to give my mind the ammunition to fully sort, unconsciously, what I'm hearing ...

10 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

I can tell you aren't a scientist.  Perhaps you are a Sophist.

It is very difficult to show that experimentally verified theory is wrong.  Usually, what happens is that the theory is applied outside its ambit, and eventually modified for these extreme cases.  Examples include quantum gravity, the Lorentz Contraction, Evo-Devo, Fisher's Theorem of Natural Selection, Quantitative Genetics, and etc.

I do not have any examples of modern scientific theory being completely overturned.

The run of the mills electronics used in audio is nowhere near the knowledge frontier.

One might argue that psycho-acoustics is, but in audiophila there are far too many psychos running about unfettered.

I am not anything you will be able to specify or label. The same is true for yourself.

23 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

your mind is open like a screen-door in a submarine

When I was about 10 years old I bought a book titled "1001 Insults" (pretty sure that was the title) and that was one of the insults. Maybe things do never change.

Another one I remember was "You're about as swift as a lead balloon".

13 minutes ago, daverich4 said:

I sure hope you aren’t actually saying that once something has been published in a textbook, that’s the last word on the subject. There are any number of “well settled facts” in the past that are now known to be false.

none of them were experimentally verified - that is the difference 

see above

I respond to posts in the spirit they were served up; if people want a rational discussion that is fine; if they want insults they get them back

Just now, AnotherSpin said:

Oh, it's easy. Scientist is one who believes Mozart would not create music different from any other composer only because each composer uses the same set of notes and the same lineated paper.

Oh, yes! What Mozart did to music is exactly what a USB cable does to the digital data. What an excellent analogy! Where do I order one that produces a Requiem from a pure sine wave?

1 minute ago, Ralf11 said:

I see that manis... egregious personal attack was deleted.

I suspect that explains why mansr doesn't want to have anything to do with him.

Don't know who deleted it. Happy to put it back...

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

1 minute ago, Ralf11 said:

I see that manis... egregious personal attack was deleted.

I suspect that explains why mansr doesn't want to have anything to do with him.

For the record, Mani was nothing but friendly when we met. It was only after I refused to bow down and lick his boots in response to whatever fluke gave rise to the infamous 9/10 that he turned nasty. Guess I should have seen it coming.