IGNORED

Rendu Support Thread

• 2 weeks later...

I have the microRendu, the ultraRendu and now the opticalRendu. While the sound quality of the opticalRendu is excellent, it is the only one of the three that randomly disconnects from my Directstream DAC. It’s done it three or four times since I got it including last night when I was in the middle of a playlist. When it happens it requires shutting both down, restarting the OR and then the DAC. It’s not a big deal but it is a different experience from the previous two products. 

Sorry, wrong place to post this. Can it be moved to the opticalRendu section? Thanks. 

I recently had an issue with my microRendu 1.4. Occasionally, a song would cut out for a second or two and then resume playing. Last week it wouldn't play at all. the yellow light in the back was illuminated but not the green. The unit was no longer recognized on my network.

I contacted Andrew Gillis and he suggested a few items to try.

1. Upgrade to the latest code.

2. Try a new network cable.

3. Replace the software.

I couldn't complete number one due to the unit not being visible on the network.

I changed the network cable but it had no impact.

I reverted to the 2.3 software microSD card and the microRendu started functioning.

I am assuming there is a problem with the microSD card. Please advise on the next course of action. Do I need to purchase a new microSD card?

Thanks in advance.

7 hours ago, pas said:

I recently had an issue with my microRendu 1.4. Occasionally, a song would cut out for a second or two and then resume playing. Last week it wouldn't play at all. the yellow light in the back was illuminated but not the green. The unit was no longer recognized on my network.

I contacted Andrew Gillis and he suggested a few items to try.

1. Upgrade to the latest code.

2. Try a new network cable.

3. Replace the software.

I couldn't complete number one due to the unit not being visible on the network.

I changed the network cable but it had no impact.

I reverted to the 2.3 software microSD card and the microRendu started functioning.

I am assuming there is a problem with the microSD card. Please advise on the next course of action. Do I need to purchase a new microSD card?

Thanks in advance.

Sounds to me like you need a replacement SD card:

https://www.sonore.us/SonicOrbiter-OS.html

A bit of frustration this evening .. the music just stopped playing in the middle of a John Coltrane album I was enjoying. Tried everything to no avail. I'm tired (busy week). Will attempt to sort it out tomorrow, unless I'm still tired. At least I have an alternative in the mean time. Did I mention being tired?

1 hour ago, Melvin said:

A bit of frustration this evening .. the music just stopped playing in the middle of a John Coltrane album I was enjoying. Tried everything to no avail. I'm tired (busy week). Will attempt to sort it out tomorrow, unless I'm still tired. At least I have an alternative in the mean time. Did I mention being tired?

As a Trane fan, I feel your pain.

ThIs used to happen to me fairly often.  My routine for restarting music was to power off the DAC, power off the rendu, restart the DAC, restart the rendu, check that the rendu interface sees the DAC again, go into rendu settings, and re-save the DLNA or Squeezelite app settings as the case may be.  It's a pain, but it usually has worked.

When it has not, I sometimes have to unplug my DAC and rendu from power or reboot my switch, but that is pretty rare.

Maybe you did all this stuff and it didn't take.  In that case, do it again.  At some point, you should have music again.  

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

5 hours ago, Mike Rubin said:

Maybe you did all this stuff and it didn't take.  In that case, do it again.  At some point, you should have music again.  

Well, last night I did everything twice (including restarting the network) and, after the second time, I powered-down the mR for the rest of the evening. This morning I powered-up the system, checked to make sure the mR was seeing the DAC, selected more Coltrane, and ... MUSIC.

It remains a mystery to me why this happens on occasion (I've gone months and months without issue). I suppose in our imperfect digital world we can expect a glitch here and there. In fact, sometimes I'm amazed how stable all these moving parts are. 

1 hour ago, Melvin said:

Well, last night I did everything twice (including restarting the network) and, after the second time, I powered-down the mR for the rest of the evening. This morning I powered-up the system, checked to make sure the mR was seeing the DAC, selected more Coltrane, and ... MUSIC.

It remains a mystery to me why this happens on occasion (I've gone months and months without issue). I suppose in our imperfect digital world we can expect a glitch here and there. In fact, sometimes I'm amazed how stable all these moving parts are. 

What power supply are you using?

2 hours ago, Melvin said:

Well, last night I did everything twice (including restarting the network) and, after the second time, I powered-down the mR for the rest of the evening. This morning I powered-up the system, checked to make sure the mR was seeing the DAC, selected more Coltrane, and ... MUSIC

Glad it worked out! 

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

Signature Rendu SE Optical networking and file questions.

I received my rendu today and have started setting it up for LMS and Squeezlite. It is my understanding that I can store music on the memory card in the device. (400gb??)

I can see the folders on my Mac but they appear read only, I cannot drag and drop to them.  Is there a setting someplace? 

I have started by installing drive mounter and mounting my NAS.   LMS is indexing the NAS right now..  I have Tidal and Qobuz setup.

Bob

1 minute ago, bobfa said:

Signature Rendu SE Optical networking and file questions.

I received my rendu today and have started setting it up for LMS and Squeezlite. It is my understanding that I can store music on the memory card in the device. (400gb??)

I can see the folders on my Mac but they appear read only, I cannot drag and drop to them.  Is there a setting someplace? 

I have started by installing drive mounter and mounting my NAS.   LMS is indexing the NAS right now..  I have Tidal and Qobuz setup.

Bob

Bob, we haven’t shipped any of the 400 Gb micro SD cards yet. What you have is a standard micro SD card without storage. The 400 Gb micro SD cards will more likely than not go on sale this week and ship next week.

No playback to Kii Control. I moved my system from direct to the server USB out to the Kii Control and connected the Signature Rendu as both a Roon Endpoint and a Squeezlite.  Neither will play.  Moved the USB cable back to the server and it still plays fine.

There is no progress on the track playback and after about 5 seconds it goes to the next track.

(Note I also tried LMS and SQ on the Rendu and no playback)

1835968231_ScreenShot2019-07-01at10_09_19PM.thumb.png.558e808ffc5a6329cb914aa1cb1a96f8.png

I am going to try powering the Rendu off and back on with the Kii Speakers on. In case there is some setup problem.  

Bob

1 hour ago, bobfa said:

No playback to Kii Control. I moved my system from direct to the server USB out to the Kii Control and connected the Signature Rendu as both a Roon Endpoint and a Squeezlite.  Neither will play.  Moved the USB cable back to the server and it still plays fine.

There is no progress on the track playback and after about 5 seconds it goes to the next track.

1835968231_ScreenShot2019-07-01at10_09_19PM.thumb.png.558e808ffc5a6329cb914aa1cb1a96f8.png

I am going to try powering the Rendu off and back on with the Kii Speakers on. In case there is some setup problem.  

Bob

I probably should leave this to JR but, when I have the same failure to recognize the DAC fully, I have to power down both the DAC and the rendu, repower the DAC first, and then restart the rendu.  That suggests to me that the kii DAC needs to be powered on first and only then the rendu restarted.  Unplugging and plugging both back in before the restarts also is a good idea.

24 minutes ago, Mike Rubin said:

I probably should leave this to JR but, when I have the same failure to recognize the DAC fully, I have to power down both the DAC and the rendu, repower the DAC first, and then restart the rendu.  That suggests to me that the kii DAC needs to be powered on first and only then the rendu restarted.  Unplugging and plugging both back in before the restarts also is a good idea.

I have to try that again.  What I am finding that the Rendu is crashing the Kii Control and I have to remove power and restart it.

I will have to put both parties in touch with each other...  as needed. 

Time for bed.

(Thought it was USB cable for a while...)

15 minutes ago, bobfa said:

(Thought it was USB cable for a while...)

Don't dismiss that possibility.  I sometimes have had to switch to a $2 throwaway cable to make the connection as part of a reboot and then, once things are up and running, hot swap in my "audiophile" cable.  I have been told that some audio USB cables depart from the official USB spec for the sake of improved sound quality.

7 hours ago, bobfa said:

Bob

We can try something simple. 1. Power cycle the DAC and Rendu. 2. Shut down Roon. 3. Go to Settings / SqueezeLite and for Sample Rate select "32" from the drop down menu and press Save. 4. From LMS select the unit for as the output device and play something. 5. If no sound, of go to Apps / DAC Diagnostics and post an image. This page needs to be refreshed to get updated data from it.   

4 hours ago, vortecjr said:

We can try something simple. 1. Power cycle the DAC and Rendu. 2. Shut down Roon. 3. Go to Settings / SqueezeLite and for Sample Rate select "32" from the drop down menu and press Save. 4. From LMS select the unit for as the output device and play something. 5. If no sound, of go to Apps / DAC Diagnostics and post an image. This page needs to be refreshed to get updated data from it.   

I like simple,

I set it to 32 and we have music!  OH NICE MUSIC.  Will let it cook for a while.  And study LMS some more.

Thanks!

4 hours ago, bobfa said:

I like simple,

I set it to 32 and we have music!  OH NICE MUSIC.  Will let it cook for a while.  And study LMS some more.

Thanks!

I have it working but I am getting an interesting failure.  I have been playing music and I tried to play one specific CD twice and it has cause playback to cease working.

(Telarc Copland Fanfare for the Common Man). 

I had to power cycle both the Kii Control and the Rendu.  Attached are two screen shots from the DAC diagnostics.  One when working and one when not.  When this happens the squeezlite process goes to unknown status.  

This second time I restarted the Squeezelite process and music is playing.  I have not had the guts to try that album again.

as a side not I was running the material skin on LMS and removed it for now.

Screen Shot 2019-07-02 at 3.01.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-02 at 3.07.03 PM.png