IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

6 hours ago, davide256 said:

I couldn't get an 11i3 NUC to recognize 32gb of Optane memory that I'd used in an 8 series NUC as a drive. There are still some

Optane SSD's floating around, those should work but avoid the hybrid ones.

So when the 1135G7 specs say it supports Optane Memory, it means hybrid?

"Intel® Optane™ memory is a revolutionary new class of non-volatile memory that sits in between system memory and storage to accelerate system performance and responsiveness. When combined with the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology Driver, it seamlessly manages multiple tiers of storage while presenting one virtual drive to the OS, ensuring that data frequently used resides on the fastest tier of storage. "

General observations here at Audiophile Style lead me to believe that when the OS or music files are located on superior memory, whether that be Optane (now discontinued), Revelation SSD, certain NVMe, or SDD drives, there is an increase in sound quality. Additionally, using a better and/or isolated external power source yields better results.

However, there might be some diminishing returns. I would dare to say that, in general, the more expensive and resolving the system is, and the higher the quality of other components, the less the chosen memory seems to matter, but still. This concept could also apply to the chosen RAM memory.

Time will tell, but at least that's what I observed in commercial systems like Innuos, Antipodes, and specifically Taiko. The latter claims to be immune to the chosen NVMe drive's quality and makes local files sound equal to streamed music files (in Roon!) but still utilizes curated RAM sticks along with an excellent continuously evolving OS (wink-wink Euphony! ). It's worth noting that Innuos is using SLC SSD for the OS in their most expensive Pulsar server, which is set to come out this autumn (?).

Indeed, there is the quality of the OS itself and how it exploits different types of memory (e.g., buffering to RAM or not). Additionally, one has to consider playing local files vs. streaming and the potential upstream network interference and noise or lack of it.

On 7/18/2023 at 4:52 PM, brucew said:

So when the 1135G7 specs say it supports Optane Memory, it means hybrid?

"Intel® Optane™ memory is a revolutionary new class of non-volatile memory that sits in between system memory and storage to accelerate system performance and responsiveness. When combined with the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology Driver, it seamlessly manages multiple tiers of storage while presenting one virtual drive to the OS, ensuring that data frequently used resides on the fastest tier of storage. "

Hybrid optane drives use a small amount of optane memory for i/o buffer to traditional ssd storage

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

48 minutes ago, PavelDosko said:

it's a pretty sad story how the company treats its customers. I kind of suspected it a year ago and didn't switch to V4.

...INDEED !!!!

ER + PH DR7T - TAIKO Server + PH DR7T ( HQPOs + ROON ) JCAT XE USB - Lampizator Baltic 4 - D-Athena preamp - K- EX-M7 amp - PMC Twenty5 26

4 hours ago, flkin said:

It's a shame to hear Z is not working full time on improving Euphony. He's the one that knows the software inside out. Without him around, improvements will be slower for sure.

But the asking price of ¢119 over a year is the same as, say, a single evening dining out. For me and the time I spend with music, and the current Euphony sound quality and functions, I think it's ok. All a matter of priorities. 

Returning to Roon and it's bad sound is just not possible. I will however start to look for alternative solutions that is as easy to install, use and sound as good just in case Euphony hasn't improved enough by this time next year. For sure there will be alternatives that will catch up by then.

hi flkin,

I am very sad too about tendencies are emerging. I have loved Euphony. If you find a substitut for Euphony that is also easy to use and sounds very good, I would be happy to hear about it.

Thanks in advance!!

Hello,

I have on my music server Debian, a Linux operating system, on another partition. I have often compared it to Euphony. Debian sounds harder and cool. Euphony sounds more musical. I'm staying with Euphony, I just renewed my subscription.

Joerg

6 hours ago, drjimwillie said:

My subscription is about to run out.

I don’t remember if it is automatic renewal, or if my credit card information has changed where I can update it.

What process did you go through to renew, please?

Just go to the system page where your license and expiration date is listed. There is a manage license link there to launch a browser page for updating your credit card info or discontinuing the license renewal

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

23 hours ago, Plecotus said:

hi flkin,

I am very sad too about tendencies are emerging. I have loved Euphony. If you find a substitut for Euphony that is also easy to use and sounds very good, I would be happy to hear about it.

Thanks in advance!!

I am very happy with the sound quality of AudioLinux,

55 minutes ago, flkin said:

Does AudioLinux v3 help Roon sound better? As excellent as the interface is, I’ve never found Roon to sound good. 

So far for me I prefer the sound on audiolinux v2 with ram root and extreme w mode. But I’m using the very latest Intel processor gen that didn’t have an optimized kernel for v3 last time I checked w Piero (audiolinux). He’d suggested trying out v3 again when that kernel is available.

I also need to take a decision on Euphony. I’ve had good results trying a two NUC setup running server and end point. My server subscription expires August 3rd (a bummer because i’m on holiday in the US and not back before Aug. 4th). I also need to decide whether I subscribe for the end point license. I am very concerned with the news provided here. I also have an Audiolinux V2 permanent licence which I abandoned because of the issues I had with the way Roon sounds. 

i am tempted to try other stuff. My friend who builds the custom power supplies I use, tells me he had great results with the Tidal connect exclusive mode on the IFI Zen stream. If I resort to that (I was refusing to move from Qobuz to Tidal, but may reconsider with Tidal moving now to 100% FLAC), I will still need a solution to stream my own library. 

I ask myself following question. If Euphony is no longer developed and, for example, I extend my subscription today for another 12 months, is this Euphony "Frozen System" worser than all other solutions? I don't think so, so probably a subscription renewal would be the best way to go until Euphony stops working. I'll think about an alternative then, if it happens.

19 hours ago, organics1 said:

Renewed Euphony yesterday. Like that's it's a lightweight Linux distro, as opposed to all the crap you go through installing Windows-based stuff. I don't put a lot of demands on it because my system isn't very sophisticated (and neither am I 😄), but the network disconnect with play&relax brings a major improvement in SQ, and I like that most of all. Though for me it's implementation is too cumbersome.

B-U-U-U-UT, yesterday also saw me dropping a new hard drive into the NUC, on which I installed Audirvana Origin AND all the attendant crap. That includes Fidelizer. The network disconnect thing is what drew me in. Sounds REALLY good. For now, keeping both, and we'll see which way the wind blows. Euphony still feels like a good deal.

I've begun the long process (read that, MONEY) of pulling together the vast array of bits needed for a big ATX server, and since SSDs are so easily changed I'll have three or more for switching back and forth between the different players.

I was never able to resolve  issues in the treble using Stylus, issues  that disappeared using HQPe  compared in NOS mode. And it took a long time

for me to appreciate HQP in up sample mode, things really didn't click until I switched to class D GaN mono blocks.  The issue with HQP

is that its too limited for use as a library server, much better user experience with Roon or Audirvana providing the library/control point

feeding a separate HQP server for up-sampling

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

have you compared them?

Yes. I couldn't find serious differences.

What player are you using? 

Do you mean hardware? Aqua LinQ.

Daphile is OS and player and therefore very similar to Euphony. It's headless and you can boot it from USB-stick. At the beginning I found the UI very complex. It takes some time to get familiar with it. Very important are the Plugins. At Settings>Advanced Media Server Settings>Plugins you will find them. Here you can tailor your system and get what you need.

Just try it and play around. You have to invest some hours - but its worth!

Martin