IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

Guys,

i have 30 days left on my license and i m asking myself the question to renew or not!

i be been suffering lately by server going off suddenly.. like disconnecting from internet… is anybody experiencing the same or only me?

it only reconnect after resetting ER swich.

my tv never disconnects from internet.

thks

Euphony is not flawless, but I still love it. Great sound and although I would love to see a more advanced integration with Qobuz, it fits my basic needs for a comfortable listenig session. 

If Qobuz comes with a good remote app to control the desktop version, I will probably install a second partition with something like Windows 10ltsc alongside Euphony and use it when I’m the mood for discovering new music. At that time I might rethink my Euphony subscription if the sound quality from an optimized Windows OS is not that far apart.

But untill then I’m good.

• 2 weeks later...

Good afternoon I tried several times to use Euphony 4 on a mini PC based on an Intel Celeron N100 processor. Often, after downloading, euphony does not appear on the network. But another problem is that in the audio output settings Euphony 4 does not see DACs connected via USB (I tried different ones - SMSL, VIIM, KEF active acoustics), and it also does not see connections via HDMI. What could be the problem?

• 2 weeks later...

I've decided to try Stylus Endpoint fed by a PC running Logitech Media Server but am having a problem with syncronisation of controls and display Pressing Play, the song timer starts but no music. After many seconds the sound starts coming out at the start of the song. But the display shows I'm 10-80 secibds into the song. The amount of delay depends on the lgnth of the song. If I press pause, the time indicator switches to the correct time for the music that was finally being played. These delays and out of synch display continue on subquent songs in the playlist. Sometimes the player seems to get confused and restarts playing the song even though it's on pause.

I'm not really sure where to start in troubleshooting this. I'm using the latest LMS on the server PC. The server, endpoint, and remote app are all on the same router with nothing else on that router.

Web Interface: Default

Streaming Method: Direct

Volume Adjustment: None

Database Memory Config: High (8GB hardware RAM)

8 hours ago, brucew said:

I've decided to try Stylus Endpoint fed by a PC running Logitech Media Server but am having a problem with syncronisation of controls and display Pressing Play, the song timer starts but no music. After many seconds the sound starts coming out at the start of the song. But the display shows I'm 10-80 secibds into the song. The amount of delay depends on the lgnth of the song. If I press pause, the time indicator switches to the correct time for the music that was finally being played. These delays and out of synch display continue on subquent songs in the playlist. Sometimes the player seems to get confused and restarts playing the song even though it's on pause.

I'm not really sure where to start in troubleshooting this. I'm using the latest LMS on the server PC. The server, endpoint, and remote app are all on the same router with nothing else on that router.

Web Interface: Default

Streaming Method: Direct

Volume Adjustment: None

Database Memory Config: High (8GB hardware RAM)

BTW: the probnlem does not happen when the Euphony Endpoint is set to Squeezelite. Before it was an Endpoint, I had it set up as regular Stylus with Buffer before play. That setting is not available under Endpoint but  I wonder if it is trying to use that hidden setting and messing things up... and if so, how to test/fix it.

23 hours ago, brucew said:

BTW: the problem does not happen when the Euphony Endpoint is set to Squeezelite. Before it was an Endpoint, I had it set up as regular Stylus with Buffer before play. That setting is not available under Endpoint but  I wonder if it is trying to use that hidden setting and messing things up... and if so, how to test/fix it.

Here is Euphony Support's response:

"...we advice you to use SqeezeLite with LMS if this works for you. Endpoint is meant to be used only with our Stylus software, and here we give assurance it works in full performance. All other options are only optional, as do not study how LMS is working. LMS is designed to control Squeeze devices which Endpoint is not."

I'm not impressed. The Euphony control app clearly shows that, "StylusEP implements two endpoint protocols: Styles protocol... [and] Squeezebox Slimproto-Stylus EP can be controlled by Roon or LMS." [no caveats listed or implied].

There other website language implies that Stylus offers unique SQ (that other software does not). I'm not inclined to pay two subscriptions to Stylus just to get Stylus on the server and the endpoint.

It would be very much appreciated if somebody could help me to get Roon + StylusEP up and running.

I am running a NUC8i3. How can I use Roon and StylusEP on a single machine? I was trying to activate Squeezebox support in "System" as well staring "Roon + StylusEP" in Euphony. In Audio menu I can see that something is working, but it's said that LMS should be stopped. I have no LMS at all.

I also found an article that it should be possible using HQplayer protocol.

Can somebody advise me the exact way to use StylusEP together with Roon?

On 1/5/2024 at 12:26 PM, tom_on_wheels said:

It would be very much appreciated if somebody could help me to get Roon + StylusEP up and running.

I am running a NUC8i3. How can I use Roon and StylusEP on a single machine? I was trying to activate Squeezebox support in "System" as well staring "Roon + StylusEP" in Euphony. In Audio menu I can see that something is working, but it's said that LMS should be stopped. I have no LMS at all.

I also found an article that it should be possible using HQplayer protocol.

Can somebody advise me the exact way to use StylusEP together with Roon?

Since Euphony requires its own operating system and Roon server/core requires ROCK to run on a NUC, I don’t think you can run them both on the same NUC, at least without getting into the complexity of running multiple Docker containers or something. I run the Stylus EP on a NUC. I run my Roon core on a SonicTransporter but a Nucleus, another NUC, or even a Windows/Mac can run the Roon Core. Then you simply put the StylusEP into Roon mode. It can then be discovered by any Roon remote device and you control the music choices via the Roon remote interface. The StylusEP is simply a Roon endpoint that streams to your DAC. 

I'm confused about the amount of memory used by Stylus. I'm currently running Stylus on a single box system with 16gb RAM. Whether I buffer 3 songs or en entire album, it stills says 7.6GB of memory left. So apparantly I don't understand what its talking about... or how much RAM is used between Stylus and an average 16/44 album's worth of music buffered to memory. BTW: I've nothing stored in the Expert settings about RAM.

Euphony usually buffers the song that is currently playing and the next song to RAM. When the first song finishes playing, the next song (which is already buffered) will become the current song and start playing and buffering of the next song will be initiated in the background. 

You can choose to buffer the entire Queue at once by clicking Buffer Queue to RAM. System will then try to copy all Queue songs to RAM.

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/55916-euphony-os-wstylus-player-setup-and-issues-thread/?do=findComment&comment=1240909

Maybe reading this helps a little?

Cheers

16 hours ago, di-fi said:

I'd already read that. But if 2 songs buffered plus Stylus' foot print = 8GB*, that seems much larger than implied by other conversations here that seem to indicate 4GB is fine for some uses of playing 16/44 music. If 8GB is used when 2 songs are buffered, why is no more used when an entire elbum is buffered? It should be 500MB more RAM used.

I have 16GB RAM and it says 7.6GB remains after buffering, which implies that 8GB is used.

On 11/4/2023 at 6:13 AM, dc-audiogeek said:

Okay, some good news for once. Euphony is working on a stylus update with a ton of bug fixes. i don’t think it’s a feature update but it’s something. They haven’t abandoned us!

Any update on this at all?

Before subscribing I am still in TRIAL Mode and testing Euphony v4 ( euphony20230531v4 image ).

At the moment I am just using Stylus Player with OUTPUT SMSL D-6 Soundcard ( settings to Bit-Perfect )

Activating both services Tidal and Qobuz. Now here is my question concerning a strange behaviour, hope somebody can advise?

Starting Qobuz with a Playlist with different Samplerates, the SMSL shows the changing rates respectively ( as shown in Euphony Stylus signal path ). When starting a playlist from Tidal, the samplerate does not change but stays at 44.1, so not bitperfect.

Anybody else with this phenomena?

Thx,

Steve

Tidal Hires has yet to be implemented... as of now only redbook standard 44.1kHz / 16 bit is supported.
I did file a ticket last year after Tidal opened the 3rd party API for Hires formats (MAX) and they were looking into it.

There is a new update scheduled for end Feb... hopefully this may include Tidal Hires support within Stylus.

If you have a Roon subscription I believe this should already work. Anyone using Roon can advise?