IGNORED

Audirvana Plus 3.5

1 hour ago, Ellsworth said:

I do have the DLNA enabled on the Rendu so that should not be the problem.  I didn’t realize Audirvana had a separate forum.  I will also check in there.  Thanks for your help.

There's also a forum here for the Rendu, I think. With my microRendu I find I sometimes have to go back to the app switcher and re-select DLNA, even though it says it's already selected.

I noticed this 12/31/2019 post by Damien in the Audirvana forum -

"Hello @Monty-SE, there is no difference between MacOS or Windows 10 version of Audirvana. The choice only remain in the OS you are used to and the one you prefer but in the case of sound quality with Audirvana you’ll get the same result with either of them"

I can understand this statement from the software perspective, but I'm curious if windows hardware has the same quality of audio signal processing that a Mac does, especially when considering the Direct Mode audio path.  Anyone have thoughts on this?

2012 Mac Mini, Mac Sierra OS, Audirvana 3.x, WireWorld Ultraviolet 7 USB Interconnect, Benchmark DAC2 L, Wireworld Equinox 7 Balanced XLR Interconnect, Belles 350A Amp, DIY Speaker Cables (18 strands of 22awg wire in circular array), DIY Carver Ribbon Speakers & Dayton Woofers

According to the A+ website, there shouldn't be a router between the Mac and the UPNP device.  If that is the case, I don't see any way to get this to work.  The Mac is directly connected to the router and the UltraRendu is on a different floor of the house.   I have checked the A+ forum and am hoping to get some help there.  Fingers are crossed.

14 minutes ago, Ellsworth said:

According to the A+ website, there shouldn't be a router between the Mac and the UPNP device.  If that is the case, I don't see any way to get this to work.  The Mac is directly connected to the router and the UltraRendu is on a different floor of the house.   I have checked the A+ forum and am hoping to get some help there.  Fingers are crossed.

But the UltraRendu is connected to the same router as your Mac, correct?

I have a USBridge Signature connected to the router that goes then via USB into my Devialet. Audirvana recognizes the USBridge via the Network Ethernet pad. I am running RopieeeXL on the USBridge. So quite a different setup from yours, but Audirvana copes perfectly with it.

I keep my fingers crossed that either the Audirvana or Sonore people come up with a solution!

On 1/4/2020 at 3:35 PM, bnbayer said:

There's also a forum here for the Rendu, I think. With my microRendu I find I sometimes have to go back to the app switcher and re-select DLNA, even though it says it's already selected.

+1

I have to always restart the DLNA renderer from miroRendu app when I start my Mac otherwise I don’t get sound even if A+ says it’s connected to microRendu.  Once I restart it then I get no issues streaming from Mac to microRendu.

2 Channel: Mac mini with Audirvana + & A+ Remote -> Netgear AC170 -> microRendu -> Chord Mojo -> oppo HA-1 -> Arcam  P49 -> B&W 804 D3

5 Channel: Apple TV/Sony XBR-65A9G -> Rotel RSP-1098 -> oppo HA-1 (bypass) -> Arcam P49 -> B&W 804 D3 (L/R), Arcam P349 -> B&W 804 D3 (C), B&W 805 D3 (RR/LR)

19 hours ago, Ellsworth said:

I don’t know if they’re talking about a direct connection(?), but if they’re talking about streaming over wi-fi, how else would you give the Rendu an IP address than to have it networked via a router?

Does your Rendu have an Ethernet input?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Hi all, I am new to Audirvana for windows and downloaded the free trail. The set up is primarily for my office which consists of windows 10 HP laptop, OPPO 105 (using the 2 channel DAC) and Rokitt KRK powered speakers. I am using Tidal music service. My DAC is not capable of MQA coding and neither is it DSD. 

Question: I am a little confused on the bit rate display on the bottom far right and left of the screen. Can someone please tell me what those are (I believe one is input from the source and other the output what the DAC is playing) but which is which? Thanks, 

10 hours ago, Ghulamr said:

Hi all, I am new to Audirvana for windows and downloaded the free trail. The set up is primarily for my office which consists of windows 10 HP laptop, OPPO 105 (using the 2 channel DAC) and Rokitt KRK powered speakers. I am using Tidal music service. My DAC is not capable of MQA coding and neither is it DSD. 

Question: I am a little confused on the bit rate display on the bottom far right and left of the screen. Can someone please tell me what those are (I believe one is input from the source and other the output what the DAC is playing) but which is which? Thanks, 

The bottom left is the source rate.  The bottom right shows what rate you are upsampling to, if you are upsampling.

@Dandaman & @Ghulamr yes that is correct but the rate in lower right hand I THINK is what A+3.5+ is upsampling regardless-- on my Schiit Yggdrasil GS

there are 6 'rates' 44,48, x1, x2, x4, x8 and this changes depending on what A+ or ROON or standalone desktop apps for Qobuz or TIDAL are sending( I have never seen x8!!??) or what my 2 changers are sending(one changer is a Yamaha cd/sacd/dvd-a other is a Harman/Kardon HDCD ) like right now I am listening to the HK playing an HDCD Dead recording and my DAC says 44 x1 if I go to same disc on A+3(in this example from Qobuz) the left lower corner says FLAC 24/96kHz the right corner says 24/192 stereo and my DAC says 48 x4 if I choose the MQA recording from TIDAL even tho the DAC doesn't do MQA it says 48 x4 and A+3 says FLAC MQA blue dot 24/192 and 24/192 stereo in right hand corner.

If my assumption is incorrect anyone please feel to correct me.

bobbmd

I think i have sorted my duplicates issue. 

It was my NAS, not Audirvana that was responsible. 

Someone from Damien’s team suggested it might be related to my Synology. 

After chasing a number of red herrings, it was re-indexing my ‘music’ folder that seemed to fix it. 

If you think you might have this issue: 

1. Go to Control Panel > Indexing Service > Media Indexing....
  2. https://www.synology.com/en-uk/knowledgebase/DSM/help/DSM/AdminCenter/application_mediaindexservice_general

Thanks to those there who offered suggestions - and to the smart cookie from Audirvana who made me google for three days 🙏

TF cards - USB  -> GentooPlayer in RAM on Rpi4b, Ian’s PurePi II, FIFO Q7, HDMI-pro  -> Audio GD R-27 -> S.A.T. Infinity monoblocks -> Gallo Stradas + TR-3 sub / Erzetich Phobos

One of the members suggested deleting the .cue files for problem albums.  I did that and indeed, most but not all, of my skipped tracks and deleted track and first track issues, (music was there but the metadata was wrong) was eliminated.  In my case, deleting the album in the old iTunes from when I used it, helped too. I still have album cover issues for about 1% of the data bass, or less, and have a couple of ideas yet to try.The suggesting member might have been RunHomeShow (or something like that--my apologies if I got his name wrong).

iMac 27" with local music files > Audirvana Studio > Router/ Modem> etherRegan )JS-2 LPS > Sablon > 2nd etherRegan (LPS 1.2))>UltraRendu (LPS-1.2)> Schiit Yggy > Ayre K5 XE MP Preamp > Ayre v5 Amp > Aerial 10-T Speakers. PC's, SC's and  IC's Cerious Technology Matrix and Ghent DC cords. Gaia under components and speakers. 1 Topaz 1k Iso, BPT power center. Maestro wall plug, dedicated 20 amp run to equipment, second run to distant iMac/Router, BK Precision 1604 and 2nd Topaz.

Apologies for not being clear. 

As bnbayer noted, I was indeed referring to the Control Panel in Synology's DSM. 

I found a number of actual duplicates using Synology's (free) Storage Analyser app. 

I also freed 1.8tb of phantom space by removing SynologyDrive - yay! 

I certainly feel feel relieved to got that sorted... it was driving me up the wall. I certainly hope others suffering from that kind of issue can find their cure soon 🙏

TF cards - USB  -> GentooPlayer in RAM on Rpi4b, Ian’s PurePi II, FIFO Q7, HDMI-pro  -> Audio GD R-27 -> S.A.T. Infinity monoblocks -> Gallo Stradas + TR-3 sub / Erzetich Phobos

2 hours ago, odelay said:

Apologies for not being clear. 

As bnbayer noted, I was indeed referring to the Control Panel in Synology's DSM. 

I found a number of actual duplicates using Synology's (free) Storage Analyser app. 

I also freed 1.8tb of phantom space by removing SynologyDrive - yay! 

I certainly feel feel relieved to got that sorted... it was driving me up the wall. I certainly hope others suffering from that kind of issue can find their cure soon 🙏

Hey, odelay - I wasn't having problems with duplicates in A+, but when I temporarily couldn't use it during a hardware repair, I had lots of duplicates just using DLNA and my wireless HEOS speakers. When I saw your note, a lightbulb went on... went into Synology DSM, tried re-indexing, and what do you know? No more duplicates! So, thanks for the tip - I really need to spend more time with the Synology apps. There's real power there.

3 hours ago, bnbayer said:

Hey, odelay - I......When I saw your note, a lightbulb went on... went into Synology DSM, tried re-indexing, and what do you know? No more duplicates! So, thanks for the tip - I really need to spend more time with the Synology apps. There's real power there.

Glad that worked for you there!

i am a complete dunce with this stuff... I bought this Synology as my first NAS about 6mths back... so still figuring out which way is up... (on that note, it is actually sideways..)

I recently upgraded my 8 year PS Audio PWDII DAC to a Project S2.  Primary reason for doing so was for its ability to play upsampled DSD512 files as well as fully decoded MQA files.  I could not be happier with it's performance. DSD512 sounds magnificent. MQA as well but the surprise so far is that DSD512 sound better to me.  

My music server is a late model 2012 Mac Mini with 16MB of memory.  I’m also running El Capitan for its OS.  

The reason for my post is that I need some advice and help.  When playing the first track of upsampled redbook files to DSD512, I get a stutter.  I get occasional stuttering during a track and usually again at the beginning of the next track.  I’ve tried different settings in A+ focusing primarily with “memory allocation”, and sampling rates.  All adjustments change the timing and rate of the stuttering but I cannot find a remedy for my issue. PCM up to 384 has zero issues.  Another thing I noticed is when I move the sampling rate in DSD to DSD256, A+ accepts the change but the file playback sampling rate on the remote and at the right side bottom of the screen in the desktop app displays 16/44.  I’m assuming that I am not playing back DSD256.  What am I missing here?

I was thinking that perhaps a new MAC with a faster processor would possibly be the fix but after reading this thread, others with newer and faster computers seem to have the same type of issue.  Can anyone out there play DSD512 seamlessly without glitches or issues? If so, can you please share your setting or suggest something to try?  

DSD512 sound so good, I’d hate to playback and settle for DSD256 if that is even possible.  

Thanks and look forward to some ideas and feedback. 

Hoshi

Macs don't do DSD512 unless it's on a DAC capable of 1411.2/1536kbps, which the S2 is not. This is because unless the DAC uses its own driver instead of the MacOS one (pretty much no DAC does this), it will only work with DoP (DSD over PCM) and not native DSD. DoP needs double the data rate of native DSD.

If you want to do DSD512 with Audirvana with the S2 or most other DACs, you will need a Windows computer.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

On 1/5/2020 at 8:51 AM, audiocanyon said:

I noticed this 12/31/2019 post by Damien in the Audirvana forum -

"Hello @Monty-SE, there is no difference between MacOS or Windows 10 version of Audirvana. The choice only remain in the OS you are used to and the one you prefer but in the case of sound quality with Audirvana you’ll get the same result with either of them"

I can understand this statement from the software perspective, but I'm curious if windows hardware has the same quality of audio signal processing that a Mac does, especially when considering the Direct Mode audio path.  Anyone have thoughts on this?

Windows users use either a WASAPI or ASIO driver for communication with a DAC/sound card. In exclusive mode, both WASAPI and ASIO drivers provide exclusive access and deliver an unmodified bit-stream to the sound device, bypassing the Windows system mixer (which can alter bits). In this case, the operating system has no effect on the quality of audio.  OTOH, use of a PC motherboard's onboard audio chip can have a negative effect on audio quality (it depends on the implementation); nonetheless, anyone serious about audio will not use the onboard audio chip -- external DACs are the preference followed by dedicated sound cards.

mQa is dead!

I’ve got DSD256 up and running with zero issues.  I believe a setting in my SonicOrbitor was the issue.  Something to do with enabling direct DSD support.    DSD512 plays and sounds fantastic except for the occasional stuttering.  According to A+ they do not confirm or deny if I should be able to play and upsample DSD512.  I’m confident that I am playing DSD512 as it is displayed on both DAC and in A+.  Audirvana is asking me to try removing my mRendu from my front end chain and to plug the DAC directly into my MAC.  My problem is that the El Capitan OS is not supported by the Project S2 DAC.

I’d be over the top if DSD256 was the best I’ve heard in my system as things are functioning perfect at this sampling rate and it is a clear upgrade in sound quality from my previous 24/192 DAC.  I wish I’ve never heard DSD512 as it’s clearly superior.  Happy for now but I hope someone can offer a remedy without going to a Window based computer as Jud has stated.  😩