IGNORED

Audirvana Plus 3.5

From my reading, the most common opinion I have run across is that when converting 32-bit to 24-bit, dither is advised unless converting from 32-bit float.

I should mention I haven't run across this issue in my own listening. My DAC (like most these days) uses 32 bits internally, and I send it DSD anyway. 

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

4 hours ago, Nico said:

Very interesting point and question. Did Damien explain somewhere why he doesn't offer a dither function?

Damien once said he questions the usefullness of dither at 24 bit since the noise floor of the DAC limits such precision anyway (page 32 in this thread). But a statement like that also questions the usefullness of higher bit DAC in general.

1 hour ago, Jud said:

From my reading, the most common opinion I have run across is that when converting 32-bit to 24-bit, dither is advised unless converting from 32-bit float.

I should mention I haven't run across this issue in my own listening. My DAC (like most these days) uses 32 bits internally, and I send it DSD anyway.

Yep. Not an issue with 32 bit DACs ... and of course not with DSD since by design DSD files already contain the required (shaped) noise.

Mac Mini, HQPlayer | iFi Zenstream | Intona 7055-B | Singxer SDA-6 pro | Vincent SV237 | Buchardt S400 | SPL Phonitor One | Beyer DT1990pro
Desktop: Audirvana Origin | Intona 7054 | SMSL M500MKII | NAD C 316BEE | Aperion Novus B5 Bookshelf | Lehmann Rhinelander | Beyer DT700proX

6 minutes ago, copy_of_a said:

But a statement like that also questions the usefullness of higher bit DAC in general.

Well, I think there are bits, and there are bits. 🙂 For a DAC's internal math, there may be reasons for a larger number of bits. (Some studio equipment does internal processing at 80 bits or above.) But with regard to the number of bits sent out of the internal processing to be converted to analog audio, anything more than 24 bits (maybe anything more than 20 or 21) will be buried in the thermal noise of the electronics.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

On 12/9/2019 at 1:59 PM, Dandaman said:

I just wanted to say that I am very pleased with 3.5.  Once I tweaked the audio settings to 99.5/30000/99/67 and set upsampling to DSD256 using B(6th order) I had sound every bit as good and actually superior to the older version.  About the only quibble I have is that many times when I do a search & make a selection, the "<" back button does not take me back to the results of the search.  But I'm overall quite happy with 3.5.28 .

For me best result is 99.5/30000/99/100 and set upsampling to DSD256 using C!

3 hours ago, Dandaman said:

I tried your settings & some in between my 67 & your 100 on phase (plus modulator at C) & after 2-3 hours ended up right back where I was.  I guess my mileage varies.  🙂

I will try my settings with B (6th order) and let you know!

Btw, the sound quality of this DSD128 album is unbelievable:

https://www.highdeftapetransfers.com/products/duke-ellington-indigos

Anyone here applied the macOS update 10.15.2 with Direct Mode ON in 10.15.1 ?
My .ktext of El Capitan is still there after the update, first time Apple didn't replace it :)

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Sonoma > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13

no, the date of the .ktext is still 2017 in my extensions of system :)

959172213_ScreenShot2019-12-14at3_20_34PM.thumb.png.ce97643336b6e5807e7121d69fabf579.png

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

That is GREAT news. Hopefully it's not a fluke...

2012 Mac Mini, Mac Sierra OS, Audirvana 3.x, WireWorld Ultraviolet 7 USB Interconnect, Benchmark DAC2 L, Wireworld Equinox 7 Balanced XLR Interconnect, Belles 350A Amp, DIY Speaker Cables (18 strands of 22awg wire in circular array), DIY Carver Ribbon Speakers & Dayton Woofers

Hello All,

Please advice regarding DSD files on Mac OS + Audirvana 3.5.

My DAC is M2Tech Young Mk3 support DSD256 and PCM384 kHz, 32 bit(USB).

Using DoP can play DSD128 if playing native DSD256.

Is solution with Direct Mode hack to play raw DSD256?

МBP - M2Tech Young MkIII & Teddy Pardo - Unison Research Unico Primo - Tannoy Revolution XT8F

Direct mode as nothing to do with that i think. Did you choose un setup DSD over PCM 1.1 instead of 1.0 ?

12 minutes ago, RunHomeSlow said:

Direct mode as nothing to do with that i think. Did you choose un setup DSD over PCM 1.1 instead of 1.0 ?

I'm not home right now (next ten days). The question is theoretical, to know if I will go into the installation process of direct mode.

In any case I will try more options when I have the opportunity.

Thanks,

МBP - M2Tech Young MkIII & Teddy Pardo - Unison Research Unico Primo - Tannoy Revolution XT8F

1.1 enable DSD256, direct mode hack, still works with the latest OS and not difficult to install.

7 hours ago, RunHomeSlow said:

Direct Mode would ordinarily have nothing to do with it. But does the M2Tech Young use its own driver? Since Direct Mode is a driver, it might have an effect in that case.

6 minutes ago, Jud said:

Direct Mode would ordinarily have nothing to do with it. But does the M2Tech Young use its own driver? Since Direct Mode is a driver, it might have an effect in that case.

Yes, M2Tech have driver for windows and play DSD256 files.

48 minutes ago, Anrad said:

Yes, M2Tech have driver for windows and play DSD256 files.

That's Windows. Direct Mode is MacOS. So @RunHomeSlow is correct, Direct Mode has nothing to do with it.

16 hours ago, Jud said:

That's Windows. Direct Mode is MacOS. So @RunHomeSlow is correct, Direct Mode has nothing to do with it.

Hello Jud,

I'm not so familiar with MacOS, and asked for play DSD25 on MacOS, not to be 'downgraded' by DoP as DSD128. Windows use ASIO drivers to play DSD files.

On 12/15/2019 at 4:31 PM, RunHomeSlow said:

1.1 enable DSD256, direct mode hack, still works with the latest OS and not difficult to install.

Means, if use DoP 1.1, with or w/out direct mode, can play DSD256 but as DSD128, because my DAC can play PCM freq. up to 384 kHz.*

*: 'DoP open Standard' v1.1, contributed also by Damien.

Sorry for the confusion,

2 minutes ago, Anrad said:

Hello Jud,

I'm not so familiar with MacOS, and asked for play DSD25 on MacOS, not to be 'downgraded' by DoP as DSD128. Windows use ASIO drivers to play DSD files.

Means, if use DoP 1.1, with or w/out direct mode, can play DSD256 but as DSD128, because my DAC can play PCM freq. up to 384 kHz.*

*: 'DoP open Standard' v1.1, contributed also by Damien.

Sorry for the confusion,

I'm thinking MacOS always uses DoP rather than "native" DSD, unless there is a specific MacOS driver for that particular DAC allowing native DSD. So in order to play DSD256 using the ordinary MacOS driver, you would need a DAC that allows 768kHz input.

Direct Mode is from Damien.

DSD over PCM 1.0 or 1.1 is not from Damien, i'm pretty sure.

DSD over PCM 1.1 is the same thing as 1.0 but the update allows playing DSD256 instead of stopping at DSD128 then with v1.0.

You need a DAC that can play 256 to use this thing, mine stop at DSD128, but i can play DSD256 files, but Audirvana drop them to PCM 384, why not to DSD128, i don't know :)