IGNORED

Audirvana Plus 3.5

20 hours ago, RunHomeSlow said:

Try to put the memory at 1024 around (lower, but not lowest)... will cache shorter time then play, then cache, then play... less chance to skip or hiccups :)

I would have thought it would be the other way around, more RAM applied less hiccups. Go figure

21 hours ago, jimdukey said:

Macs don't ordinarily do DSD 256.

Macs can do DSD256 and DSD512 using DoP and a DAC that has sufficiently high PCM rates (PCM 384 for DSD256, 768 for DSD512, I think).

I don't actually use these DSD rates, but I have tested them using test files from nativedsd.com      

On my system, I very slightly preferred DXD.

39 minutes ago, routlaw said:

Thats the first I have heard of Macs not ordinarily doing DSD 256.

My DAC is the Holo Spring Level 1, with Itona USB isolator into a SingXer SU-1 outputting I2S into the Spring DAC all being fed from my MacBook Pro.

I have been using Audirvana almost since its inception, but used Pure Music before that, and of course iTunes all the way back to the turn of the century on the first OS X release. IOW's while I'm not new to this by any means I fail to obtain better sound with upsampling. 

However I will admit there is such an bewildering array of settings within Sox most likely I have not implemented the best settings. I'm also willing to admit I don't enjoy trying an unlimited amount of configurations. At best its tedious.

I also have an Oppo 203, have used it with analog outs, as well as Coax out and HDMI out to another DAC. The outputs sound different but its very subjective to which is best if there is a winner.

Thanks

In order to upsample to DSD 256 over DOP, your DAC need to be able to accepts PCM up to 768KHz (actually 705.6KHz).

I can do it with my Chord Mojo through USB input but, I don’t hear any difference in sound.  It sounds actually better with PCM without any upsampling since Chord DAC upsample the signal anyways.

Also I get a high pitch sound when I stop/pause the playback when I upsample to anything above PCM 384KHz or DSD 128. Not sure why.

With my Oppo HA-1 I did hear a difference when upsampling to DSD 128.  It sounded smoother but I am not sure if that sound was actually correct to original recording.  I did like it though and always upsample to DSD.  Since I got the Chord, HA-1 is just become a preamp.  Chord Mojo is just better in every way.

2 Channel: Mac mini with Audirvana + & A+ Remote -> Netgear AC170 -> microRendu -> Chord Mojo -> oppo HA-1 -> Arcam  P49 -> B&W 804 D3

5 Channel: Apple TV/Sony XBR-65A9G -> Rotel RSP-1098 -> oppo HA-1 (bypass) -> Arcam P49 -> B&W 804 D3 (L/R), Arcam P349 -> B&W 804 D3 (C), B&W 805 D3 (RR/LR)

Just for the record the Holo Spring DAC's are cable of DSD 512 though I've never tried. So they can easily play 768 too, but my experience with upsampling via PCM any benefit (if at all) stops at X2 rate and beyond that the sound becomes thinner and thinner. Also the Spring DAC's themselves have the capability internally to upsample either via PCM or DSD but to my ears that sounds worse than the method via Audirvana. The company itself, doesn't recommend upsampling, so I'm not sure why they include it within the hardware. Perhaps its the R2R Ladder DAC type of technology which in the case of the Spring DACS is fairly advanced technology precludes the benefit of upsampling. I'll try again but not holding my breath for improvement. 

As far as I know MAC's are capable of DSD 256 over PCM. My guess is that my MBP either doesn't have enough RAM or raw horsepower to pull this off effectively but seems ok with DSD128.

1 hour ago, jimdukey said:

Don't you need a separate driver, like ASIO for DSD256?

The Mac  won't do it without something like that, or the super high PCM rate like the RME ADI-2.

The current Myteks won't do DSD 256 on Mac, for example.

Any way, that's just what I've read and maybe misunderstood.

No I do not need any special driver since I don’t do native DSD.  You don’t need any driver for DSD over DOP.

What is the maximum PCM rate that your DAC accepts?  

For DSD over DOP at DSD 256,  your DAC need to accept PCM at 768KHz.  

If your DAC max out at 384KHz then the max DSD you can do is 128.

Chord Mojo can accept 768KHz signal.

2 Channel: Mac mini with Audirvana + & A+ Remote -> Netgear AC170 -> microRendu -> Chord Mojo -> oppo HA-1 -> Arcam  P49 -> B&W 804 D3

5 Channel: Apple TV/Sony XBR-65A9G -> Rotel RSP-1098 -> oppo HA-1 (bypass) -> Arcam P49 -> B&W 804 D3 (L/R), Arcam P349 -> B&W 804 D3 (C), B&W 805 D3 (RR/LR)

I have a new issue @damien78

Using A+ app, if I do a search for a track on tidal or qobuz, tapping ... will not give me album or the artist options to jump to.

I think this was not the case before the new update and I was able to jump to artist or the album from track search.

Can you please have a look at this?

Thanks for your much appreciated help.

20 hours ago, mazuly said:

I have a new issue @damien78

Using A+ app, if I do a search for a track on tidal or qobuz, tapping ... will not give me album or the artist options to jump to.

I think this was not the case before the new update and I was able to jump to artist or the album from track search.

Can you please have a look at this?

Thanks for your much appreciated help.

Thanks for this report. This was not available in previous releases, but will be in next one.

MBP 15"/Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Audioquest Diamond USB, AMR DP-777, exD DSD DAC (for DSD), Pioneer N-70AE, Audioquest Niagara balanced/Viard Audio Design Silver HD, Accuphase E-560, Cabasse Sumatra MT420

Seasons greetings to all 🎄🙂

I have been really enjoying the sound I'm getting from 3.5+.

However, I have struggled with persistent duplicates (on Sierra). I thought I had solved this by adding new files whilst Audirvana is shut down, but alas... Creating new libraries every few weeks seems to help, but new duplicates (of old files) continue popping up.. or perhaps, it takes a few weeks to spot them (usually doubling of tracks within an album, but sometimes a doubling of albums)... Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

As upsampling to DSD and hardware came up, does anyone think there would be much to gain by upgrading my 2010 Mac mini? 

My  8gb of RAM, booted to an SD card (Audirvana running from RAM disk) works. However, it does struggle upsampling to DSD 128... but it generally works...  (max for my DAC that’s limited to 384KHz).

Being the bankrupt Scrooge that I am, I’m considering a Hackintosh option. 

I may also try moving back to Windows-land ... so I may upsample to DSD 256 (max for DAC), boot from RAM... but was still recovering from the trauma of living with XP through the decade of my uni years... eek. I am curious about Linux, though. Damien - any plans to release a Linux version? 🤞🙃🙏 

I have been considering something like this: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Newest-Fanless-Mini-PC-with-8th_60824344126.html?spm=a2700.galleryofferlist.0.0.5da32287JK2DFN

However, I would ideally want one with two LAN ports (as I go direct to an ultraRegen) and an SD card reader... but presume I could use USB adapters (like I do now for the mini’s second LAN port). 

May the music bring the holiday cheer to all and sundry 🙂

TF cards - USB  -> GentooPlayer in RAM on Rpi4b, Ian’s PurePi II, FIFO Q7, HDMI-pro  -> Audio GD R-27 -> S.A.T. Infinity monoblocks -> Gallo Stradas + TR-3 sub / Erzetich Phobos

3 hours ago, odelay said:

Seasons greetings to all 🎄🙂

I have been really enjoying the sound I'm getting from 3.5+.

However, I have struggled with persistent duplicates (on Sierra). I thought I had solved this by adding new files whilst Audirvana is shut down, but alas... Creating new libraries every few weeks seems to help, but new duplicates (of old files) continue popping up.. or perhaps, it takes a few weeks to spot them (usually doubling of tracks within an album, but sometimes a doubling of albums)... Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

As upsampling to DSD and hardware came up, does anyone think there would be much to gain by upgrading my 2010 Mac mini? 

My  8gb of RAM, booted to an SD card (Audirvana running from RAM disk) works. However, it does struggle upsampling to DSD 128... but it generally works...  (max for my DAC that’s limited to 384KHz).

Being the bankrupt Scrooge that I am, I’m considering a Hackintosh option. 

I may also try moving back to Windows-land ... so I may upsample to DSD 256 (max for DAC), boot from RAM... but was still recovering from the trauma of living with XP through the decade of my uni years... eek. I am curious about Linux, though. Damien - any plans to release a Linux version? 🤞🙃🙏 

I have been considering something like this: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Newest-Fanless-Mini-PC-with-8th_60824344126.html?spm=a2700.galleryofferlist.0.0.5da32287JK2DFN

However, I would ideally want one with two LAN ports (as I go direct to an ultraRegen) and an SD card reader... but presume I could use USB adapters (like I do now for the mini’s second LAN port). 

May the music bring the holiday cheer to all and sundry 🙂

Oh, a Linux version would be soooo great!!!!

Merry Xmas to everyone!

On 12/22/2019 at 12:06 PM, damien78 said:

Thanks for this report. This was not available in previous releases, but will be in next one.

Seasons Greetings and Marry Christmas.

Thanks @damien78

Can u also have the MQA and HighRez logos appear for all conditions in Tidal Qobuz?

Thanks for your help.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. 

My gift is that I have no requests and no questions. 😉

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

22 hours ago, odelay said:

However, I have struggled with persistent duplicates (on Sierra). I thought I had solved this by adding new files whilst Audirvana is shut down, but alas...

Big text, but fast doing it… try this.

If you have Playlists that are important export them first to desktop and save them in a folder…

when Audirvana is reset, you can re-import them back in one shot. sadly to this day,

the folders they were in if so, are not back, you have to do them again…

Before doing this, maybe you should not connect after deleting those files to Roon, Tidal or others…
Install Audirvana alone with your database… if working, log to Roon or else after.

Apple hide the Home Folder in User Library at some time depending on OS System…
When you have clicked your Home Folder, and cannot see the Library Folder in there,
just do a ‘‘cmd J’’ to show the folder settings preferences and see at the bottom…
click Show Library Folder and then you’ll have access to the rest forever.

Delete your music folder(s) in your Audirvana preferences window with minus sign...

Close Audirvana.

Go to User… Home Folder… Library… Applications Support… Audirvana Folder…
Trash All the files in that folder (that is your database of music, back it up! or not).

Restart MAC.

Open Audirvana, choose a library music folder and LET IT GO, even better don’t try to adjust windows

or edit files, even playing music while it is not finished… you’ll see the progress bar going…

Could be long the first time depending on how large your library is, and MAC is fast or not…

go to sleep if it is too long :) Then when sync is finished, shut down Audirvana, yes, close it before playing a song… that way, you will have your database new from scratch saved without crashing or with doubles.

Then copy the .sqlite file to somewhere else from that folder...

Home Folder… Library… Applications Support… Audirvana Folder…

as a backup in a folder like dated as today, then open Audirvana.

Like that, if you enter a bug you can always close Audirvana, put the latest perfect backup .sqlite in the same folder, and restart mac, then Audirvana... you'll be at that latest backup... if you have put something else there or edit songs in between, it will sync the new files, but you will only lose your play counts of those files played in between backups.

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Sonoma > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13

i never close Audirvana for putting new CDs or Editing, no bugs happens, never.

When open, Audirvana sees the new files put in my watch folder and sync them.

They appear in my recents smart playlist of last 30 days nearly instantly, then i edit them at the same time.

Never had problem doing it while open, and also playing songs while editing also...

Happy music everyone! :)

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Sonoma > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13

@RunHomeSlow I do the same thing both with A+3.5+ AND with ROON (especially b/o ROON loads so slowly for me) and it works out fine for me also--BTW I downloaded a file from archive.org(if you are a deadhead or not) of All the Debut Songs of the Grateful Dead '66-'95 ie the first time they performed them live really cool historically-and transferred them (162+songs) to a ROON folder went to 'focus' and they play 'low quality' in signal path but sound great on my 'last rodeo'/system my CFO let me get-Schiit Rggy 2 just the amp and Yggy GS with Legacy Audio Studio HD monitors and that amp is one Schiitload of a headphone amp!

Hope you and yours have a Happy Holidays and New Year always enjoy your suggestions and insights.

bobbmd

Guys, I'm having a problem which I hope someone can shed some light on. Actually its two so here goes.

1. Tonight for the first time I have tried to stream Quobuz via A+3.5+. Its connected, I'm signed in, the trial period should be good, but for what ever reason I keep getting errors like,  "files are unable to load". I've tried all of the usual suspects, restart, reboot et al. MBP running Mojave internet speed @ 65+ mbs down. All of my library files from SS HD play and load fine. WTH

2. Resampling: I can run DSD 128 ok, still think the sound is thin and less life like, can't do DSD 256 due to erratic behavior and drop outs. But here is where it gets really weird. I can only up sample via PCM to 192 KHZ however my DAC and all associated gear are capable of 768. If I try to upsample above 192 Khz the results are very garbled and static laden for lack of a better description. 

With the MBP which only has USB-C ports I have to use dongles/adaptors for connections. Is it possible the dongles are limiting the data rate of higher resolution? If so, then why is DSD 128 able to pass? 

Thanks

On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 3:07 AM, routlaw said:

With the MBP which only has USB-C ports I have to use dongles/adaptors for Connections.

There are USB-C to USB-B cables from Nordost, Audioquest and Oyaide.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

17 hours ago, matthias said:

There are USB-C to USB-B cables from Nordost, Audioquest and Oyaide.

Matt

Thanks Matt, but would that actually allow for higher sampling rates vs using one of the dongles? I should have mentioned also, even with the dongles/adaptors A+ and the MIDI software indicated 768 kHz is still possible. Normally when an attached device is NOT capable of delivering full resolution this will be indicated in MIDI and elsewhere. 

On 12/25/2019 at 7:07 PM, routlaw said:

Guys, I'm having a problem which I hope someone can shed some light on. Actually its two so here goes.

1. Tonight for the first time I have tried to stream Quobuz via A+3.5+. Its connected, I'm signed in, the trial period should be good, but for what ever reason I keep getting errors like,  "files are unable to load". I've tried all of the usual suspects, restart, reboot et al. MBP running Mojave internet speed @ 65+ mbs down. All of my library files from SS HD play and load fine. WTH

2. Resampling: I can run DSD 128 ok, still think the sound is thin and less life like, can't do DSD 256 due to erratic behavior and drop outs. But here is where it gets really weird. I can only up sample via PCM to 192 KHZ however my DAC and all associated gear are capable of 768. If I try to upsample above 192 Khz the results are very garbled and static laden for lack of a better description. 

With the MBP which only has USB-C ports I have to use dongles/adaptors for connections. Is it possible the dongles are limiting the data rate of higher resolution? If so, then why is DSD 128 able to pass? 

Thanks

10 minutes ago, routlaw said:

Thanks Matt, but would that actually allow for higher sampling rates vs using one of the dongles? I should have mentioned also, even with the dongles/adaptors A+ and the MIDI software indicated 768 kHz is still possible. Normally when an attached device is NOT capable of delivering full resolution this will be indicated in MIDI and elsewhere. 

This is on Mac? Have you tried manually setting the rates in Audirvana preferences?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Happy New Year to all.  I recently inserted an UltraRendu into the system.   I am able to get Roon and HQP to recognize the UltraRendu but A+ (3.5.7) does not.  When trying to select an audio device, the only option available  is "Built-in device". 

My setup is:  2012 MacMini (i7 processor running El Capitan) > router > MOCA ethernet converter > Ultra Rendu > Holo Audio Spring DAC.   

I am using the A+ app and also run  VNC viewer to operate the Mac headlessly.   Is there some trick or setting that I need to tweak in A+ in order for it to find the UltraRendu?   Any comments are appreciated.

2 hours ago, Ellsworth said:

Happy New Year to all.  I recently inserted an UltraRendu into the system.   I am able to get Roon and HQP to recognize the UltraRendu but A+ (3.5.7) does not.  When trying to select an audio device, the only option available  is "Built-in device". 

My setup is:  2012 MacMini (i7 processor running El Capitan) > router > MOCA ethernet converter > Ultra Rendu > Holo Audio Spring DAC.   

I am using the A+ app and also run  VNC viewer to operate the Mac headlessly.   Is there some trick or setting that I need to tweak in A+ in order for it to find the UltraRendu?   Any comments are appreciated.

Audirvana should be able via MDP/DNLA to recognize the Ultrarendu. See

https://community.audirvana.com/t/audirvana-sonore-ultrarendu-vs-direct-usb-to-auralic-vega/1695

Maybe the Audirvana Forum can help?

Regards

28 minutes ago, biosailor said:

Audirvana should be able via MDP/DNLA to recognize the Ultrarendu. See

https://community.audirvana.com/t/audirvana-sonore-ultrarendu-vs-direct-usb-to-auralic-vega/1695

Maybe the Audirvana Forum can help?

Regards

I do have the DLNA enabled on the Rendu so that should not be the problem.  I didn’t realize Audirvana had a separate forum.  I will also check in there.  Thanks for your help.