IGNORED

Axpona 2019 Meet-UP??

4 hours ago, TubeLover said:

Enjoy the show, the equipment and the sounds, and spend quality time with old friends and new.

Ditto... I’m not gonna make it this year, either. Yesterday I got assigned to go work with a client out of the country!  

Sorry to hear about the injury, JC.  I’ve got a hip replacement scheduled so I can definitely empathize!

19 hours ago, Solstice380 said:

Ditto... I’m not gonna make it this year, either. Yesterday I got assigned to go work with a client out of the country!  

Sorry to hear about the injury, JC.  I’ve got a hip replacement scheduled so I can definitely empathize!

Good luck with the hip replacement surgery. I have several friends who have done really well with it. Thankfully I'm not a candidate for that, but it unfortunately doesn't diminish the current discomfort and limitations I'm dealing with. 

JC

On 3/23/2019 at 12:32 PM, austinpop said:

My local Austin pal @limniscate just acquired Magnepan 20.7s to replace his 3.7i's, and even before they're completely dialed in to his space, I gotta say these are amazing speakers. 

Why mention this in the AXPONA thread? To see if there's interest in an AS field trip to hear the flagship 30.7's at Audio Consultants. See: https://www.facebook.com/download/preview/2442529889315049

In case the link doesn't work, I uploaded the PDF here.

TAS_Magnepan_2019.02.07.pdf 8.58 MB · 8 downloads

I was in Evanston yesterday and listened to the 30.7's again.  They are MUCH better broken in and the team there has finished more of the room correction and the have a "proper" cable between the panels.  The difference is stunning.  They said that they should have the new Boulder streamer in the system for the show.

7 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

"proper" cable??

Maggies are known for being insensitive to speaker cables... did they explain?

They had a set of jumpers between the panels that was not of the same kind of cable that was feeding the speakers from the Boulder amp.  They had Transparent Audio make up some jumpers.  I cannot tell you the sound difference with that cable.  I am not sure I would say that Magnepan speakers are insensitive to cables.  They do present a different kind of load to the system.  

I am sure that the folks at Audio Consultants would tell you more if you asked them.  They have been a dealer for Magnepan for MANY years.

rjf

Thx - I'll just ask Wendell next time I talk to him.  He is not educated as an engineer, but is very technically astute.

Maggies are (or were?) almost totally resistive loads at ~~4 ohms.  Hence the lack of cable 'matching' needs, or insensitivity.  My own listening tests confirm this, if the math doesn't move you...

On 4/6/2019 at 3:28 PM, Ralf11 said:

Thx - I'll just ask Wendell next time I talk to him.  He is not educated as an engineer, but is very technically astute.

Maggies are (or were?) almost totally resistive loads at ~~4 ohms.  Hence the lack of cable 'matching' needs, or insensitivity.  My own listening tests confirm this, if the math doesn't move you...

I have not talked with Wendell in about a year.  Let me know what he says.

12 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

For those who are going, is there interest in meeting up at the hotel's "Gather Bar"?

How about Saturday at 12:30pm

and/or Sunday after Chris's presentation at 1:30pm 

Sure Saturday 12:30 sounds good to me, based on your photo I just don't know if they will let you in at the bar :)

22 minutes ago, luisma said:

Sure Saturday 12:30 sounds good to me, based on your photo I just don't know if they will let you in at the bar :)

Believe it or not that picture was taken in 1973 when I was 3.  My father's Heathkit, reel to reel and turntable were my first introductions to music appreciation as captured in that photo.  I've aged a bit since then ;)

I'll plan on being there both days at those times.  I won't have an Audiophile Style sign around my neck but my name is John.  I'll plan on finding a table of some sort in the area, not at the bar.

I won't be able to make the bar scene Saturday as I'll be up managing the multichannel room for George (exaSound) but c'mon up after a few beers and listen to some great NativeDSD (among others) multichannel stuff, and say hi.

13 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

Believe it or not that picture was taken in 1973 when I was 3.  My father's Heathkit, reel to reel and turntable were my first introductions to music appreciation as captured in that photo.  I've aged a bit since then ;)

I'll plan on being there both days at those times.  I won't have an Audiophile Style sign around my neck but my name is John.  I'll plan on finding a table of some sort in the area, not at the bar.

Haha, I PMed you 

3 minutes ago, ted_b said:

I won't be able to make the bar scene Saturday as I'll be up managing the multichannel room for George (exaSound) but c'mon up after a few beers and listen to some great NativeDSD (among others) multichannel stuff, and say hi.

I will be there I think Friday and Saturday, Sunday I'm not planning to attend so I won't be there 

I'll be there Friday, and am a maybe for Sunday. If I do make it Sunday, I will certainly plan to attend Chris' session, and would be up to "Gather" after.

On a separate note, are people aware of any cool demos or new technology showcases this year? Last year I found out too late about the JVC Exofield demo, which was by appointment only. 

Please share.

6 hours ago, austinpop said:

On a separate note, are people aware of any cool demos or new technology showcases this year? Last year I found out too late about the JVC Exofield demo, which was by appointment only. 

Please share.

PS Audio will be debuting their first speaker the AN3.  Purely in it's infant stages but available this fall.  I think they might also be showing a flagship DAC called the TSS, named after Ted Smith, their in house digital guru.  If I heard correctly they'll be located on the main floor behind the registration booths. 

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

Thanks @bobfaand @Johnseyefor meeting up yesterday at Chris's panel, always nice to meet in person, with the size of the show and the snow there wasn't too much time for much else. Last night wife and I went to winter's Jazz club, for $15 you are sitting 4 feet from the live performance of the Chicago jazz orchestra, all big band arrangements of Duke Ellington, Dizzie Gillespie etc., incredible, again with the rush of everything I forgot to mention that, it was a very good opportunity for big band and jazz aficionados 

2 hours ago, luisma said:

Thanks @bobfaand @Johnseyefor meeting up yesterday at Chris's panel, always nice to meet in person, with the size of the show and the snow there wasn't too much time for much else. Last night wife and I went to winter's Jazz club, for $15 you are sitting 4 feet from the live performance of the Chicago jazz orchestra, all big band arrangements of Duke Ellington, Dizzie Gillespie etc., incredible, again with the rush of everything I forgot to mention that, it was a very good opportunity for big band and jazz aficionados 

It was great meeting you and your wife.  Crazy weather yesterday as we're back up to the 50's today and high 60's tomorrow.  The snow is almost gone.  Nice to hear you got to see some jazz.  Next time you're in town make sure to go to the Green Mill.  It doesn't get much better.

It was good to actually see folks in person this weekend.  It was a very busy show for me an I did not get enough time to spend just wondering around.  

I have such a hard time with listening to things at the show.  I cannot concentrate and the rooms mostly are weird sounding to me.  I did see some fun ideas and gadgets.  Some of the gigantic speakers on display just floored me.  I think there must be a new motto:

”Size is no Object”