IGNORED

DSD Offshoot Discussion From MQA Topic

For interest's sake I tried putting a WAV track through a PCM -> DSD64 -> PCM conversion path ... hmmm, quite major differences at only 60dB or so down; so, are the 'distortions' intrinsic to that conversion process, or is the software - I used XiSRC - not good enough? Worth trying some variations to that processing chain ...

9 minutes ago, Paul R said:

I call BS on this. If you read the book, you would be able to pinpoint a reference that defends your point, or if it exists, refutes mine. I am afraid I don't believe you are enough of an authority on the subject to be able to waste my time that way. 

The trouble here is that you are asking me to prove that DSD isn't something or other. Why should the authors of the book bother to mention that DSD isn't PDM when it also isn't PWM, PSK, or a thousand other things? The fact that a 700-page book on the subject not even once (I searched the PDF) mentions either "PDM" or "pulse density" is, to me, a pretty strong indication that there is no meaningful relationship to be found. I also find this obvious for mathematical reasons, but you seem to require the word of an "authority."

12 minutes ago, Paul R said:

DSD is the result of modulating a free running clock signal with an analog signal so that the output is a bit stream whose density is relatively proportional to the input analog signal.

No, that is not how a DSD signal is created.

14 minutes ago, Paul R said:

The bitstream represents the data in a PDM format, the density or frequency of the pulses is what is used to represent the analog signal. Not the value of each pulse, as in PCM.  If you don't understand that, then nobody can help you.

Still wrong. DSD is a series of equidistant pulses, each with a value of +1 or -1. It has nothing to do with PDM. Some graphical representations of a DSD signal kind of give that impression, which is unfortunate since it isn't an accurate way of thinking about it.

2 hours ago, Paul R said:

Great. How? I just wind up with SMGL entities if I try typing it, rather than copying it. 

On linux that would be entering "u" + unicode codepoint in hex while holding down Ctrl+Shift. As for windows, I don't know, but google shows some results for windows enter unicode, e.g.: How to enter Unicode characters in Microsoft Windows

The unicode codepoints in hex are:

• 03a3 for Σ
  • 0394 for Δ
12 minutes ago, mansr said:

DSD is a series of equidistant pulses, each with a value of +1 or -1. It has nothing to do with PDM. Some graphical representations of a DSD signal kind of give that impression, which is unfortunate since it isn't an accurate way of thinking about it.

So nothing new in business 🙂 (vide stair step graphs for showing how high res is supposedly better)

The basic process of DSD is trivial - it's the noise shaping where the real meat is, and that's buried in maths normally. Visually, it makes sense why it's needed - with the right "pictures" - something to track down.

If one can't get an instinctive understanding of what's happening, then maths does absolutely nothing to clarify the matter.

19 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Hi Paul

Isn't the answer here for you to read the book and then bring what you learned from that to the forum?  It seems like you're looking for some shortcut to the knowledge.  Why not go straight to the source?  Will it take some time?  No doubt.  But there really isn't any other way for you to gain the knowledge you lack here.  If you're looking for donations to finance the book purchase, I'll gladly chip in $5.  You'll learn something you don't currently know and you'll (hopefully) bring that knowledge to the forum.  Win/Win, no?

No. 

To start with, I don't lack knowledge in this subject. Not that I can not always learn something new, but in this case, it appears to be someone else trying to prove their technical superiority rather than challenging a technical issue. Moreover, I do not require anyone to agree with me.  

The burden here is on me only if the wording I originally used was not precise enough.  I have not seen any real critique of that wording. I think people are just being lazy, jumping to conclusions, and missing what I actually said.

DSD is the result of modulating a free running clock signal with an analog signal so that the output is a bit stream whose density is relatively proportional to the input analog signal.

That is a fairly precise statement, and I do not see that anyone has successfully challenged it.  True you can DoP the DSD data into a Flac file, but if you try to play it through a PCM DAC that accepts FLAC files, you are in for an awful sounding listening session. Another clue is that DSD is a very different data format is that it has such a high sampling rate. Even the most ardent Shannon fan would have to question a sample rate in the megahertz range for PCM data. 

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

35 minutes ago, mansr said:

No, that doesn't help. Paul is still wrong.

Well, you just need to admit you are flat wrong and move on with it. 

35 minutes ago, mansr said:

No, that doesn't help. Paul is still wrong.

Actually, you are the one who is wrong here.  When you figure that out and are ready to actually talk facts, look me up. 

This is a useless conversation because you goal is not to uncover and discuss facts. I look forward to the day you can tell me how much sample information is intrinsically held in a single DSD sample.  

Robert A. Heinlein

3 minutes ago, Paul R said:

To start with, I don't lack knowledge in this subject. Not that I can not always learn something new, but in this case, it appears to be someone else trying to prove their technical superiority rather than challenging a technical issue. Moreover, I do not require anyone to agree with me. 

Ok.  Just trying to understand why you're repeating the same thing over and over again and demanding others prove you wrong.  I was just thinking that bringing in citations from places other than your own brain might help bolster your case.

3 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Ok.  Just trying to understand why you're repeating the same thing over and over again and demanding others prove you wrong.  I was just thinking that bringing in citations from places other than your own brain might help bolster your case.

Seriously, I did. 

I also don't consider tossing out a large book that doesn't clearly define the difference under discussion as a "reference."  I would class that as BS myself.  If it was a reference, then chapter, page, and brief reference might be a better choice for someone to offer up. 

YMMV. 

-Paul 

Robert A. Heinlein

57 minutes ago, danadam said:

On linux that would be entering "u" + unicode codepoint in hex while holding down Ctrl+Shift. As for windows, I don't know, but google shows some results for windows enter unicode, e.g.: How to enter Unicode characters in Microsoft Windows

The unicode codepoints in hex are:

• 03a3 for Σ
  • 0394 for Δ

Thank you. 

Robert A. Heinlein

5 minutes ago, Paul R said:

Seriously, I did. 

I also don't consider tossing out a large book that doesn't clearly define the difference under discussion as a "reference."  I would class that as BS myself.  If it was a reference, then chapter, page, and brief reference might be a better choice for someone to offer up.

Well, I just ordered the book because I want to know.  The abstract for that book discusses more applications for Delta-Sigma Data Converters than just audio, so while I'm expecting it to be quite dry, it should be at least illuminating.

10 minutes ago, mansr said:

I found a free PDF of that paper. It actually agrees with me. Witness (emphasis mine):

"One-bit modulators (SDM's) differ from PCM AD convertors in the sense that the quantizer covers 2 levels only, and that the quantization error is fed back to the input. As a result, the output power of a SDM is always constant; its signal level is either +1 or -1, giving a signal power of 1."

Just to clarify (or perhaps muddy the waters further)  that last sentence means that the density (the D in PDM) does not actually change but rather remains constant right?

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

22 minutes ago, Paul R said:

Well Duh- what is your point?  The first line clearly says that SDMs and PCM ADs are different? Yep, DSD is definitely not the same format as PCM... I mean, how much clearer can that be? If you are just arguing that no digital data can be a true PDM signal, I'll agree with that. The signal is encoded  in PDM format however, which is what I said in the first place...

I read this paper just now and I have no idea how you come to this conclusion based on what is presented. Please show us ( and don't repeat the same sentence again ).