IGNORED

what is the best audiophile switch?

5 hours ago, the_doc735 said:

what is it please?

see here posted earlier and in my signature below...:

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

I guess this is as good a thread to ask this question as any.....

I have a HTPC that has a slot open to install my JCAT LAN card.  But I need to install a switch into the network at this point.

I have a Lumin X1 that has both Optical SFP module port as well as regular ethernet network input port.  I have decided that I want to try using the GigaFoil V4 inline ethernet filter and then go into the X1 Network input...not the Optical port on the X1.

My question is if the benefits of the JCAT LAN card are diminished when I install the Cisco switch?

These are the two possible options I am looking at.

Option 1:  HTPC > JCAT LAN > Cat 6 > Cisco Switch > Cat 6 > GigaFoil V4 > Cat6 > Lumin X1 Network Port

Option 2: HTPC > Mobo LAN > Cat6 > Cisco Switch > Cat6 > GigaFoil V4 > Cat6 > Lumin X1 Network Port

If I understand this correctly the Cisco switch would reclock the signal and the benefits of the JCAT LAN are no longer there.  Is this basically the case?  The JCAT is powered by an Uptone JS-2 is that is of any consequence...

"Get Off Your Knee, Burn The Mask And Please Wake Up....You Have Been Lied To About Everything...And I Mean Everything"
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm currently using the Cisco 2960-8-TC Catalyst switch and with all the audiophile switches being released was wondering if one of these would be a worthwile upgrade over the Cisco.

Has anyone compared the Cisco Catalyst in their system with products like the SOtM sNH-10G or switches from AQVox, Paul Pang or TLS?  

Most comparisons of audiophile switches I have found seem to be with low cost consumer grade switches, see for instance https://audiobacon.net/2019/04/05/sotm-snh-10g-audiophile-ethernet-switch-review/3/ and https://www.stereophile.com/content/music-round-90-mergingplayer-pl8-page-2

On 2/19/2019 at 3:52 AM, the_doc735 said:

back to topic please!

what is the best audiophile switch? 

..thread hijacked!

Direct connection.

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

On 4/7/2019 at 6:45 AM, McNulty said:

I'm currently using the Cisco 2960-8-TC Catalyst switch and with all the audiophile switches being released was wondering if one of these would be a worthwile upgrade over the Cisco.

Has anyone compared the Cisco Catalyst in their system with products like the SOtM sNH-10G or switches from AQVox, Paul Pang or TLS?  

Most comparisons of audiophile switches I have found seem to be with low cost consumer grade switches, see for instance https://audiobacon.net/2019/04/05/sotm-snh-10g-audiophile-ethernet-switch-review/3/ and https://www.stereophile.com/content/music-round-90-mergingplayer-pl8-page-2

@McNulty @plissken

notice the part in the AudioBacon assessment where the reviewer literally pulls the plug and listens....

On 4/7/2019 at 6:45 AM, McNulty said:

I will for sure compare it to the etherregen when available. The improvements I got with the Cisco were great not just with audio but also with image. For around 60 $ (second hand, new were almost 700$) it was one of best audio investment I ever made. If I may suggest try also a good LPS with your router and you will see a difference, again on sound and image.

cheers,

Jorge

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2019 at 3:45 AM, McNulty said:

I have a Cisco catalyst 3750 and HP 2626.  These are better than a consumer Netgear switch.  But i also have an Aqvox Switch 8 that sounds better than the Cisco and HP. but an sNH-10G ultra sounds best.

For those of use with network shares or multiple systems a switch is a necessity.  At gig speed I'm guessing the switch behaves like an antennae and picks up RFI.  But I don't have any instrumentation to test this.

• 3 months later...
On 2/27/2019 at 1:51 PM, TubeMan said:

I assumes that people is so smart
that they read the compatibility list before they buy the SPF

Hi,i just  ordered the cisco catalyst ws-c2960-8tc-s, and the optimodule from sonore ,sfp and optical cable from sonore as well.

i just realised this switch is not the gygabit version? Is it ok? Did i did wrong choice?

will it work?

i wanted go fiber from the cisco to optimodule then ethernet to streamer?

thks

12 hours ago, sakso136 said:

Hi,i just  ordered the cisco catalyst ws-c2960-8tc-s, and the optimodule from sonore ,sfp and optical cable from sonore as well.

i just realised this switch is not the gygabit version? Is it ok? Did i did wrong choice?

will it work?

i wanted go fiber from the cisco to optimodule then ethernet to streamer?

thks

Most of the ports on that switch are not gigabit, EXCEPT the RJ-45 and SFP cage off to the side, they both work at gigabit. So if you connect the opticalModule to one of those it should work.

John S.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, i received the Cisco Catalyst switch and the optimodule combo.

i used the last 2 input for sfp and ethernet.

i have trouble connecting to the internet,so need help here pls.

on the mac book, under settings it shows status: connected but ethernet is yellow and state: self assigned ip.

i tried manually typing the ip adress of the router supplying the cisco with no success.

i tried connecting a tv box to the other output of the switch, same, ethernet is in, but no internet.

thks

3 hours ago, sakso136 said:

Hi, i received the Cisco Catalyst switch and the optimodule combo.

i used the last 2 input for sfp and ethernet.

i have trouble connecting to the internet,so need help here pls.

on the mac book, under settings it shows status: connected but ethernet is yellow and state: self assigned ip.

i tried manually typing the ip adress of the router supplying the cisco with no success.

i tried connecting a tv box to the other output of the switch, same, ethernet is in, but no internet.

thks

Not sure which model, but you can usually only have one uplink at a time - sfp or ethernet. Try connecting the ethernet in into one of the regular ports. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab.