IGNORED

what is the best audiophile switch?

17 hours ago, TubeMan said:

and alway use same brand and model in both ends, 

If possible that makes sense but many switch makers require specific SFP modules, likewise NIC makers i.e. Cisco SFP compatible or Brocade compatible on the switch and Intel compatible on the NIC. So you actually don't have to use the same SFP, rather same type of SFP.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

On 2/24/2019 at 2:04 AM, Tintinabulum said:

I swapped a very basic Netgear switch for a CISCO - WS-C2960G-8TC-L and got an instant increase in SQ. I was very surprised, being moderately cynical.

I assume you used the stock wall wart and internal PSU for the Cisco? Curious if you have you ever tried the Netgear with a LPSU versus the Cisco with it's internal PSU?

4x20A circuits | Shunyata Triton + Typhon | Source 1: HDPlex HD100 PSU -> OCX clock + EtherRegen -> Paul Hynes SR4T + HDPlex HD500 PSUs -> Music PC w/JCAT XE nic, HQPlayer, Roon, Tidal / Qobuz |  TotalDAC D1 Twelve DAC + Mk II Streamer | Source 2: Acoustic Signature Ascona with Kuzma 4 Point tonearm | Koetsu Rosewood Signature cart | Pass XP-15 phono pre | Audionet Pre G2 preamp | Audionet Max mono blocks | Vivid Audio Giya Spirits |  4 JL Audio Fathom subs | Echole ICs /SCs / Siltech King jumpers, Shunyata/Audioquest PCs / Eth. Cs | Critical Mass CS2s -> components, Isoacoustics -> speakers + subs | Adona Eris II rack w/ Herbie's titanium footers | Fully treated and dedicated 2 channel room

3 hours ago, sb6 said:

I assume you used the stock wall wart and internal PSU for the Cisco? Curious if you have you ever tried the Netgear with a LPSU versus the Cisco with it's internal PSU?

OP: 

I have a Zyxel VMG3925 B10B router with built in 4 port switch.

Is this good enough for audiophile usage or should I consider a separate (cisco/tp link) switch? 

8 hours ago, jabbr said:

If possible that makes sense but many switch makers require specific SFP modules, likewise NIC makers i.e. Cisco SFP compatible or Brocade compatible on the switch and Intel compatible on the NIC. So you actually don't have to use the same SFP, rather same type of SFP.

I assumes that people is so smart
that they read the compatibility list before they buy the SPF

51 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

That switch was introduced November 2007. I would expect later switch’s to be better maybe ?

If you compare it with anything else for about 100 USD or 100 Eur new today,
you will be surprised how good it sounds!
and I think no one has that good PSU and port isolation and SPF ports for fiber

and yes there  is a new model 2960CX cost around 600 USB /500 Eur

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/switches/catalyst-2960-cx-series-switches/index.html

2 hours ago, R1200CL said:

That switch was introduced November 2007. I would expect later switch’s to be better maybe ?

Well, I don't know why it resulted in an increase in SQ. I had no expectation bias- hence the surprise. It replaced a newer switch, so not really. I don't think newness has any bearing necessarily. These happen to be cheap and are commercial so built to last in all likelihood. Pretty cheap, what's not to love?

I'd love it if someone could postulate a reason for the better SQ I hear.

On 2/19/2019 at 8:52 AM, the_doc735 said:

back to topic please!

what is the best audiophile switch? 

..thread hijacked!

I have a basic Virgin route. When I added an Aqvox 8 port switch (powered by a modified Teradak linear power supply) which was dedicated to my audio system, this one of the most striking improvements I've had in my system. I can only comment on this switch but there many reports of other switches adding big improvements.

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

48 minutes ago, plissken said:

Remember you aren't playing audio off the switch or NIC. You are playing out of buffer. If you are a Tidal user, in Tidal (not Roon or any other app hosting Tidal) start playback. Wait 30 seconds and while the music is playing pull the plug. It will still play. Where's it playing out of if the switch is out of the loop.

Only if you’re using a PC or ?

1 hour ago, plissken said:

Remember you aren't playing audio off the switch or NIC. You are playing out of buffer. If you are a Tidal user, in Tidal (not Roon or any other app hosting Tidal) start playback. Wait 30 seconds and while the music is playing pull the plug. It will still play. Where's it playing out of if the switch is out of the loop.

Irrespective of what / where the storage mechanism is the data passes through the switch, NIC and computer where it is prone to jitter and noise.

4x20A circuits | Shunyata Triton + Typhon | Source 1: HDPlex HD100 PSU -> OCX clock + EtherRegen -> Paul Hynes SR4T + HDPlex HD500 PSUs -> Music PC w/JCAT XE nic, HQPlayer, Roon, Tidal / Qobuz |  TotalDAC D1 Twelve DAC + Mk II Streamer | Source 2: Acoustic Signature Ascona with Kuzma 4 Point tonearm | Koetsu Rosewood Signature cart | Pass XP-15 phono pre | Audionet Pre G2 preamp | Audionet Max mono blocks | Vivid Audio Giya Spirits |  4 JL Audio Fathom subs | Echole ICs /SCs / Siltech King jumpers, Shunyata/Audioquest PCs / Eth. Cs | Critical Mass CS2s -> components, Isoacoustics -> speakers + subs | Adona Eris II rack w/ Herbie's titanium footers | Fully treated and dedicated 2 channel room

1 hour ago, plissken said:

Irrespective of what you think you know, it's not how it works.

Really? Since you seem to be the expert please enlighten me.