IGNORED

Audiolinux Server configurations, Software, Hardware, and Listening Impressions

lmitche

I guess that you did try typing N + ENTER, not only N.

For people having this problem (I don't have it here) you can disable ramroot this way: go to console and type

sudo ramroot -D

and after

sudo ramsave

After reboot.

If the problem persists I would try to enable ramroot a second time with keyboard connected

sudo ramroot -E

sudo ramsave

AudioLinux --> https://www.audio-linux.com

developer of AudioLinux realtime OS

1 hour ago, lpost said:

I experience the same though I'm not yet running AL2 rather ALprevious, for what it's worth.  Frustrating.

I experienced the same thing. I had to move enabling Ramroot to resize AL partition in RAM to one of the last steps. 

Intel NUC NUC8i7BEH Roon Server running Audio Linux in RAM -> Sonore UltraRendu (Roon Endpoint) -> Uptone ISO Regen -> Singxer SU-1 KTE -> Holo Audio Spring Level 3 DAC -> Nord One UP Monoblocks -> Spendor LS3/5as | Music controlled via iPad (Power Conditioning: Audience adeptResponse aR12).  Twitter: @hirezaudio

37 minutes ago, hifi25nl said:

I guess that you did try typing N + ENTER, not only N.

For people having this problem (I don't have it here) you can disable ramroot this way: go to console and type

sudo ramroot -D

and after

sudo ramsave

After reboot.

If the problem persists I would try to enable ramroot a second time with keyboard connected

sudo ramroot -E

sudo ramsave

I have this problem all the time. My guess is that a newly downloaded version of the kernel doesn't contain the driver for the wireless Logitech keyboard used daily here. So when this happens, if I subsequently run an "Audiolinux update" from the menu it is fixed.  Likewise if I run "Audiolinux update" from a ssh terminal without the Logitech dongle in place, the same thing happens.

This forces me to use the ramroot method described by Piero.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

You can take also a look here:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mkinitcpio#Configuration

In general, you could add the driver for keyboard to /etc/mkinitcpio.conf

For example 

MODULES=(atkbd)

and re-enable ramroot (...in ramroot) with

sudo ramroot -E

sudo ramsave

If keyboard is recognized during audiolinux boot menu but not immediately after, you could also try to select Audiolinux fallback, that will load most of drivers.

Hello Friends,

I am trying to understand the profiles menu and whether I should use the orange (default) or auto.

The AL webpage says to go to the release notes for more information, but I do not understand the “examples” there and how they correspond to the different choices.

I am using a CAPS Pipeline computer without a NUC or NAA. I am only running HQPlayer embedded on this computer. (I am not converting PCM to DSD, so the CPU is running comfortably). (because of this I did not think it is necessary to isolate cores). I have Roon installed on my NAS. 

I use RAMroot, of course. The only setting I do is to enable ACPI scaling.
I have enabled turbo boost, but I believe this only allows HQPE to do it’s thing when it needs the extra power?

Because of the above I have enabled the “auto” profile.  My assumption is that this will allow AL to optimize my settings. Is this correct?

Will people please report their adventures with these profiles?

also will you please make recommendations for further optimizations I can enable?

Thank you 

Bill

On 12/5/2019 at 5:05 PM, drjimwillie said:

Hello Friends,

I am trying to understand the profiles menu and whether I should use the orange (default) or auto.

The AL webpage says to go to the release notes for more information, but I do not understand the “examples” there and how they correspond to the different choices.

I am using a CAPS Pipeline computer without a NUC or NAA. I am only running HQPlayer embedded on this computer. (I am not converting PCM to DSD, so the CPU is running comfortably). (because of this I did not think it is necessary to isolate cores). I have Roon installed on my NAS. 

I use RAMroot, of course. The only setting I do is to enable ACPI scaling.
I have enabled turbo boost, but I believe this only allows HQPE to do it’s thing when it needs the extra power?

Because of the above I have enabled the “auto” profile.  My assumption is that this will allow AL to optimize my settings. Is this correct?

Will people please report their adventures with these profiles?

also will you please make recommendations for further optimizations I can enable?

Thank you 

Bill

I will try to explain the logic behind auto profile.

If you have installed Audiolinux for the first time, the orange profile is the default.

Let's suppose that you have made some modifications using the options given by Audiolinux menus. A new profile will be automatically created with these changes, the auto profile.

If you want to save this new configuration to a profile you can use the option "Copy Auto to Custom". For example, let's assume that you have copied auto to Custom1. After you can switch easily from the default orange profile to custom1 and back.

Very useful for testing different configurations.

You can repeat the process with different settings, saving to custom2  or custom3

• 2 weeks later...

I have an AudioLinux computer question....not really audiophile question. 

My NUC currently has AudioLinux.  It is from NUCkleheads and was set up by Larry.  I am totally ignorant to Linux.  I don't mind staying that way...as much as possible.

I want to turn the NUC into a Windows machine.  I have connected a monitor, keyboard, USB optical drive for my W10 disc.  They are all working.

When I start the NUC, it starts booting up and comes to the 4 different selections before it starts loading AL.  I have found my way to the boot manager but before I can hardly read the same options on the  previous screen, it boots into AL. 

What do I have to do to get AudioLinux to let me load Windows 10?  I don't care about keeping AudioLinux on the NUC.   I also don't know if Larry's install is encrypted and I need a password. 

"Get Off Your Knee, Burn The Mask And Please Wake Up....You Have Been Lied To About Everything...And I Mean Everything"

@Evo-No-Revo you need to get into the BIOS and change your boot device preference to your USB optical drive.

Do a save and exit from the BIOS and when it reboots it will boot your Windows installation media.

Maybe Larry can advise you how to make a backup of your AudioLinux image before you wipe it out.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

@Evo-No-Revo one other thing just occurred to me.  I assume you have an Optane M.2 drive in your NUC, is that right?  What is the capacity?  The minimum size requirement is 20GB for 64-bit Windows 10, so make sure you have at least a 32GB Optane (rather than a 16GB Optane).

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

9 minutes ago, rickca said:

@Evo-No-Revo one other thing just occurred to me.  I assume you have an Optane M.2 drive in your NUC, is that right?  What is the capacity?  The minimum size requirement is 20GB for 64-bit Windows 10, so make sure you have at least a 32GB Optane (rather than a 16GB Optane).

Yes, there is a 32 GB Optane drive in this NUC. The machine needs to be booted from a Windows 10 installation USB stick. From there the Optane can be erased and Windows 10 installed. There may be a need to enter the bios to force boot from the Windows installation USB stick. Once done Windows should take it from there.

Having just posted this on the Roonlabs support site, I think it makes sense to post here as well.

Today, after the Roon 1.7 build 511 Roonserver update and Roonbridge 1.0 build 171 installation RoonAppliance is core dumping on the server after initiating Qobuz playback at any resolution.

OS is AudioLinux. Server hardware is AMD Ryzen 7 2700 on Asus B450 motheboard.

Time to dump after playback is started varies by track and resolution. The dump could immediate or as long as 7 seconds depending on track resolution. The higher the resolution, the shorter the time to dump.

Playback from local files is normal with resolutions up to PCM384 and DSD256.

This behavior is the same when playback is started on multiple endpoint devices, Audiolinux/Roonbridge and Windows/Rooncore in control mode.