IGNORED

Audiolinux Server configurations, Software, Hardware, and Listening Impressions

lmitche

1 minute ago, bodiebill said:

Thanks, I tried that and it still says 'Audiolinux main menu - version 206' on top.

Should I download the latest image? That takes about two hours, hence my question.

That is strange.  When I did the menu update, after the update, a new screen says the menu is now version 207 except the top still says version 206 until I exit out of the main menu and then back in, then it says version 207.

Using the latest download won't help in this matter, as I did that last night, it still have the version 206, and you will need to have do the update to get the version 207.

4 minutes ago, bodiebill said:

4 INSTALL/UPDATE menu

6 Update audiolinux menu

enter password

Result: 'Audiolinux menu is now version 206'

The strange thing is that this happens whatever password I try (audiolinux, audiolinux0 or the password given to me by Piero in an email).

Maybe Piero can help out?

This is exactly how I updated mine from either 2.0 or 2.1, except the result show 'Audiolinux menu is now version 207'.

I only use the password provided by Piero.

Just tested from menu 206. Correctly updated to menu 207.

If you go back to main menu you will see 206, you must exit and type menu to display the new one.

The password is only one, the menu password (not audiolinux etc.)

Maybe network is down, connection to server temporarily busy, your hard disk space full...

Note: the first start of menu 207 is slow, because it will install the new package manager yay and remove pamac. Don't close the window.

AudioLinux --> https://www.audio-linux.com

developer of AudioLinux realtime OS

i just got my AL2.1 system up and running and am scanning my library right now.

however, i was not able to get ramroot working due to my current settings (defaults for ram) and 4G of ram available.

when i boot, it says that it cannot load into ram as is have only 3810M available and need 4061M.

i see there is a configuration menu option for ramroot.

what values would you propose i try?

i am only running hqplayer with no signal processing/upscaling/dither.

thanks

p.s.  i also ran afoul of the 'forgot which password to use' glitch..........took way too long before i remembered that root password was not the new download password nor the menu password but the old root password 'audiolinux0'...........D'UH

34 minutes ago, sig8 said:

Is there any way to download a fresh image which has 2.1, and menu 207, or we have to go the update route. It is easier to just have an image which is up-to-date.

This is not yet available.  Version 2.1 has menu 206, but it should take less than 1 minute to have it updated to 207 following the steps below:

From main menu:

• Select 4 INSTALL/UPDATE menu

Once in "INSTALL/UPDATE" menu

• Select 6 Update audiolinux menu

A new screen will prompt you to enter password for menu update

• Enter password sent from Audiolinux email

A new screen will show "Audiolinux menu is now version 207"

Exit menu by selecting "Cancel"

Re-enter menu by enter "menu"

The new menu should say 207

5 minutes ago, elan120 said:

This is not yet available.  Version 2.1 has menu 206, but it should take less than 1 minute to have it updated to 207 following the steps below:

From main menu:

• Select 4 INSTALL/UPDATE menu

Once in "INSTALL/UPDATE" menu

• Select 6 Update audiolinux menu

A new screen will prompt you to enter password for menu update

• Enter password sent from Audiolinux email

A new screen will show "Audiolinux menu is now version 207"

Exit menu by selecting "Cancel"

Re-enter menu by enter "menu"

The new menu should say 207

Thank you. And that will make it work with 4gb in RAM mode? I think that is the whole purpose of this exercise.

10 minutes ago, sig8 said:

Thank you. And that will make it work with 4gb in RAM mode? I think that is the whole purpose of this exercise.

Update to menu 207 is the first step.  After that, pending what application(s) you want to install will determine the final memory requirement.  In my case, I am using NAA only, and total memory required was trimmed down from ~4.8GB to ~3.3GB.

11 hours ago, elan120 said:

In my case, I am using NAA only, and total memory required was trimmed down from ~4.8GB to ~3.3GB.

How can it be so big! When my NAA image is booted up with ramdisk it is at 700 MB, of which 450 MB alone is just device firmwares. With regular boot without ramdisk it takes less than 64 MB...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

13 hours ago, elan120 said:

Update to menu 207 is the first step.  After that, pending what application(s) you want to install will determine the final memory requirement.  In my case, I am using NAA only, and total memory required was trimmed down from ~4.8GB to ~3.3GB.

that may work for the NAA but not for hqplayer-embedded at the other end where i get

only 3810M available and need 4061M.

therefore, the only option i see is to adjust the min_ram and min_zram settings.

@pierro

can you recommend values to use that will get me down 251M = 4061M - 3810M?

or is there anything else that can be deleted?

i now have hqplayer running in ramroot with 4G of ram and AL2.1

since i was originally short by 251M = 4061M (needed) - 3810M (available), the suggestion of

"try 200 zram 350 RAM " only bought me 200M (default was 250/500) so i further lowered

the values to 150M/280M which got me to 3772M (or 38M to spare).

two questions:

1.  would you expect any performance issues with this ram allocation?

2.  if i put some of the 38M available to better use, how should i apportion it between the two values i lowered?

thanks

@pierro

even though you don't have a 4G ram system, you could always use the memory requirement check on boot to see if a particular system configuration fits in a given amount available ram.  that wouldn't though tell you if there was a performance issue, just that ramroot would load.

i'm finding the system pretty slow responding, so i think i pushed it too far........unless there is some other way to reduce the size of the software in ramroot (so i can put the ram minima back up to defaults), i'll probably just upgrade to 8G of ram...........too bad, as 4G of ram was perfectly fine with AL1.0

Just want to say a HUGE thank you to Piero for the hotfix :)

I had been having problems getting a stable system with 2.1.0 thinking I'd done something wrong whilst updating. Using 2.1.1 and everything (Roon only) is up and running with no problems. Ramroot enabled and all is good.

Thank you

On 11/14/2019 at 1:17 PM, cat6man said:

i now have hqplayer running in ramroot with 4G of ram and AL2.1

since i was originally short by 251M = 4061M (needed) - 3810M (available), the suggestion of

"try 200 zram 350 RAM " only bought me 200M (default was 250/500) so i further lowered

the values to 150M/280M which got me to 3772M (or 38M to spare).

two questions:

1.  would you expect any performance issues with this ram allocation?

2.  if i put some of the 38M available to better use, how should i apportion it between the two values i lowered?

thanks

@pierro

even though you don't have a 4G ram system, you could always use the memory requirement check on boot to see if a particular system configuration fits in a given amount available ram.  that wouldn't though tell you if there was a performance issue, just that ramroot would load.

great news!
the latest image loads hqplayer server (aka hqplayer embedded) into 4G ramroot without even lowering the default values for ram and zram!

super job Pierro!