IGNORED

Audiolinux Server configurations, Software, Hardware, and Listening Impressions

lmitche

A general recommendation for all users:

HOW TO RESIZE AUDIOLINUX PARTITION

1) If you have also Audiolinux LXQt: make a second installation on a USB stick, boot from the new installation and extend the ext4 partition on the old installation with gparted (easy, because the application has a GUI)

2) If you don't have Audiolinux LXQt: enable ramroot, reboot, select the option resize in system menu.

I you want to switch back to normal mode: reboot answering N to ramroot boot prompt at the beginning of boot, disable ramroot, reboot

AudioLinux --> https://www.audio-linux.com

developer of AudioLinux realtime OS

On 10/22/2019 at 2:49 PM, cat6man said:

hqplayer embedded under AL in ramroot

Hi, silly question but you are using all cores for your HQP correct? with HT disabled, don't know why on my NUC when HT is disabled HQPe only uses the 1st core, and I don't have core isolation of course. If I enabled HT, HQPe uses all cores

Looking for a little help.  I am trying to get 2.0 running.  I have a two NUC system - one with Roon and HQPlayer Embedded and the other running NAA..  The previous version (1.x) worked fine.

I downloaded the newest files, updated menu, updated all software.

All connections are running. I see the both audio services running on the "master" NUC.

After about a minute they both disappear from the Show audio services menu.

Blank menu no text on it.

And of course, the Roon control application blanks out.

I hope this is something simple - any ideas?

TY!

Jeff

Qobuz - HQPlayer(d) 5 - M1 Mini - RPI 5 8gb - Nuc i7 - Signature Silver DC - Keces P3 PS - Lush USB - Holo Spring Dac - SRC-DX - Chord Mojo2 - Bottlehead Crack Upgraded w/ GEC or Tung-Sol 6as7/vt231 - Triode Wire Labs AC - HD-650 - GR Research V2 - Dennis Murphy Pioneer BS22 - B&W 602 S2 - Apple Music Spatial 7.1.4

The first 3 things to check:

1) Free hard disk space.

Select STATUS menu -> HARD DISK status

2) systemctl is-enabled rtapp.timer

If enabled, type as root:

systemctl disable rtapp.timer

and reboot 

3) Network 

Select STATUS menu -> NETWORK status

4) From another computer/smartphone at ipaddress:8088

configure HQPlayer DAC etc.

The only one that is questionable is:

NAME   FSTYPE LABEL      UUID                                 MOUNTPOINT                         │  
                                  │ FSSIZE FSAVAIL                                                                                   │  
                                  │ sda                                                                                              │  
                                  │ ├─sda1 vfat              73D0-F3F1                                                               │  
                                  │ └─sda2 ext4   audiolinux 76770e44-3602-4a3b-9b7c-485109c5ac7a /run/media/audiolinux/audiolinux   │  
                                  │ 27.6G   20.9G                                                                                    │  
                                  │ zram0                                                         /                                  │  
                                  │ 6.7G       0   

I have another linux box that I run gparted on and extend ext4. 

Qobuz - HQPlayer(d) 5 - M1 Mini - RPI 5 8gb - Nuc i7 - Signature Silver DC - Keces P3 PS - Lush USB - Holo Spring Dac - SRC-DX - Chord Mojo2 - Bottlehead Crack Upgraded w/ GEC or Tung-Sol 6as7/vt231 - Triode Wire Labs AC - HD-650 - GR Research V2 - Dennis Murphy Pioneer BS22 - B&W 602 S2 - Apple Music Spatial 7.1.4

OK good - so I have to get the roon database over to ext4, I assume.

I see your instructions on your website.

Is there an option to do this in the roon installer?

Funny, I put the one version back stick back in and booted and I don't get the disk full problems:

NAME   FSTYPE LABEL UUID                                 MOUNTPOINT FSSIZE FSAVAIL               │  
                                  │ sda                                                                                              │  
                                  │ ├─sda1 vfat         09EC-B22A                            /boot        487M    439M               │  
                                  │ └─sda2 ext4         02794dbc-93da-4c23-a03a-315c051dedbd                                         │  
                                  │ zram0                                                    /           11.6G    3.6G  

All good.

I rebuilt the stick and did everything with ramroot off and all seems to be work now.

I'll try the ramroot after I back up this stick.

Whenever I switch to ramroot, I get the same problem, but this doesn't happen with the previous version.

I know I have to move the database to ext4, but don't understand why I have to with the new version.

For now I will keep the non-ramroot running.

You could try to change configuration in /etc/ramroot.conf

There are some settings about min. and max. RAM to assign to zram

For changing it reboot to normal mode answering N to boot prompt

After configuration is done you must type as root user 

ramroot -E

If you want to enable ramroot with the new configuration. 

You can also select the clean option in system menu and check for uncleaned directories in /tmp for example pamac temporary ones

On 11/2/2019 at 9:01 AM, hifi25nl said:

Try to remove some dependencies left, no necessary to reinstall (a little risky, as I said before)

pamac remove ffmpeg libgmpris rygel adduser-deb shairport-sync -o

(pay attention to what is removing before pressing Y)

-> shairport-sync is linux AirPlay

I have tried this and removed these but unfortunately the file system is still about a gigabyte larger than the previous version. Also roonbridge didn't run after this.

So I started again with a fresh image and tried pamac application-name -o with hqplayer-embedded, hqplayer-network-audio-daemon, roonserver and shairport-sync but the file system is still about a gig larger than the previous version.

So unless there is something large that I don't need to run roonbridge then I might have to accept defeat and go back to the previous version which I don't think sounds as natural but with ramroot working the sound stage is more open. It's a shame because I'm participating in the RAM group buy and ordered 4 GB because it's all I've ever needed for this endpoint and it's impossible to get another 4 gig of the new version apacer wide temp stuff.... serious bummer with no real solution 😐

Audiolinux headless 1.5.0 real size 3.GB (3,273,345,765)

Audiolinux headless 2.0.0  real size 3.1 GiB (3,331,554,518)

Difference is minimal. Maybe the reason is the default configuration of ramroot 2.0

In /etc/ramroot.conf:

# minimum Mb free ram:
ram_min=750

# minimum Mb free zram:
zram_min=250

# preferred Mb free ram:
ram_pref=4000

# maximum Mb free ram:
zram_max=1000

So ramroot will need, with the default configuration, at least 3,1+750+250=4.1 GB

Because of this the recommended RAM size is 8 GB

How to use ramroot with 4GB?

1) Set ram_min to 500 GB (a little risky, I would test first with a test USB stick installation, but if are not using Roon, it could work)

As said before:

ramroot -E

2) Remove unused packages

Since 2) is not as easy as it sounds I have added a new option to the site:

Audiolinux reduced size (only Roon or HQPLayer etc.) 
 -> contact support

This is only "one time, no update!" option (but you can eventually update menu and kernel). 

49 minutes ago, hifi25nl said:

Audiolinux headless 1.5.0 real size 3.GB (3,273,345,765)

Audiolinux headless 2.0.0  real size 3.1 GiB (3,331,554,518)

Difference is minimal. Maybe the reason is the default configuration of ramroot 2.0

In /etc/ramroot.conf:

# minimum Mb free ram:
ram_min=750

# minimum Mb free zram:
zram_min=250

# preferred Mb free ram:
ram_pref=4000

# maximum Mb free ram:
zram_max=1000

So ramroot will need, with the default configuration, at least 3,1+750+250=4.1 GB

Because of this the recommended RAM size is 8 GB

How to use ramroot with 4GB?

1) Set ram_min to 500 GB (a little risky, I would test first with a test USB stick installation, but if are not using Roon, it could work)

As said before:

ramroot -E

2) Remove unused packages

Since 2) is not as easy as it sounds I have added a new option to the site:

Audiolinux reduced size (only Roon or HQPLayer etc.) 
 -> contact support

This is only "one time, no update!" option (but you can eventually update menu and kernel). 

Thanks heaps for this Piero. This is excellent news. I will contact you via support about getting an audiolinux reduced size version with just roon bridge.

Thanks again 👍

15 hours ago, hifi25nl said:

You could try to change configuration in /etc/ramroot.conf

Running 2.0 - RAMROOT OFF - this is my ramroot.conf.  Does this look ok?

GNU nano 4.5                                                                   ramroot.conf                                                                             
#!usr/bin/ash

# mounts loaded to zram:
mounts_zram='UUID=9913-922E:/boot'

# mounts ignored:
mounts_null=''

# prompt default:
ps_default=yes

# prompt timout:
ps_timeout=8

# minimum MiB free ram:
ram_min=750

# minimum MiB free zram:
zram_min=250

# preferred MiB free ram:
ram_pref=4000

# maximum MiB free ram:
zram_max=1000

Yes I am downloading.

I have a problem, pülease help me to solve it.

I run Audiolinux LQXT 4.00 with menu 204 on my ControlPC. I set up everything, works fine. As the last step I put my system to RAM.

90761635_Ramrootproblem4.thumb.jpg.a45b8e2bd480b87a7e69b22219e0ca9e.jpg

It takes ca. 5 mintues, after the system works fine.

1888493711_Ramrootproblem1_cr.thumb.jpg.0bd74dce04182674b0519ddde9b62a5f.jpg

But when I check the ramroot status or I want the save the system I have error messages.

I rebooted the check it and my Roon database in not up to date, so it was in RAM.

440736619_Ramrootproblem2_cr.thumb.jpg.fcfd5b8dbe901be618ccc108db510ae2.jpg

1847072092_Ramrootproblem3_cr.thumb.jpg.dd26bcbd338a8981b9a70d716dd3d1c8.jpg

What can be the solution?

The problem is that you have auto-mount enabled in lxqt. Because of this audiolinux partition is mounted in /run/media/audiolinux/audiolinux and the script ramsave think that you are not in ram mode.

Go to PCManFM-Qt  (the file explorer) preferences and uncheck  all the mount options.

This way ramsave should work.

----------------

NOTE 1

If you want to use all your available memory in ramroot mode. 

You must edit the ramroot configuration file.

1) Reboot in normal mode answering N to boot prompt
2) Using File editor ROOT in system menu edit the file /etc/ramroot.conf

The line
ram_pref=4000
is the maximum amount of RAM in ramroot mode. The default value 4000 is fine (if you have at least 16 GB)

The other line
zram_max=1000
is the max free zram memory  (equivalent to free disk space) . This is very low. In theory, if the RAM is 4000, you could go up to 12000. If your RAM is 32GB you could go to 28000 or less if you give more than 4000 to RAM.
After changing for example 1000 to 12000 or choose the combination of ram_pref and zram_max that you prefer, you must go to console
type
su
give root password audiolinux0 and type
ramroot -E

-> This procedure will be a lot more easy in the next menu version

NOTE 2

the option RAMROOT  in Status menu is not working now because the command "ramroot status" in the new version 2.0 of ramroot is missing . I will update soon in the next menu release. The "Show configuration" option in main menu however should display the right status.

4 minutes ago, hifi25nl said:

The problem is that you have auto-mount enabled in lxqt. Because of this audiolinux partition is mounted in /run/media/audiolinux/audiolinux and the script ramsave think that you are not in ram mode.

Go to PCManFM-Qt  (the file explorer) preferences and uncheck  all the mount options.

This way ramsave should work.

Thank for the quick answer. 

Is this affects my SSD mounting options? I have an 4TB SSD with my music in this PC.

Yes, but in your final configuration, you should not use auto-mount for your your music drive, but mount it with the option "MOUNT local drive" in system menu. This will avoid also possible permission problems since the Audiolinux script will mount the drive with the right parameters.

After you should update your audio application settings with the new mount location that will be a sub-folder of /media

2 minutes ago, hifi25nl said:

Yes, but in your final configuration, you should not use auto-mount for your your music drive, but mount it with the option "MOUNT local drive" in system menu. This will avoid also possible permission problems since the Audiolinux script will mount the drive with the right parameters.

After you should update your audio application settings with the new mount location that will be a sub-folder of /media

This is interesting becouse I haven't known that there's another option to mount/automount other than in the system menu. I always use that one and until now I haven't used the LQXT File Explorer.

915866032_ramrootproblem4.thumb.jpg.32c05c9513649fc94ab784ef1ae7e578.jpg

I set up everything (incl. the ramroot.conf) I booted again in RAM and nothing changed, I can't save system.