IGNORED

MQA The Truth lies Somewhere in the Middle

3 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

There is a middle ground in everything where there are two sides. Extremists on the ends and somewhere between them is the middle ground. Middle ground shouldn't be confused with the dead center or as our President has said, "I'm sure there are good people on both sides."

The truth is not 100% of what has been said By MQA Ltd and the truth is not 100% of what has been said by those who hate MQA.  

Please don't think this title means I will try to persuade haters to like MQA and MQA to like the haters and have a big happy hug in the middle where we all decide MQA is benign and consumers can buy it if they wish. That's not my intention.

Agree Chris,

I'm totally fine with the title and I expect nothing less than balance from you. The fun stuff is what happens in the session!

Clearly, as in many things in life, balance does not mean 50:50. And some things are more true than others...

Archimago's Musings: A "more objective" take for the Rational Audiophile.

Beyond mere fidelity, into immersion and realism.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

9 hours ago, FredericV said:

OMG did he had a bad day? He repeats the same sentence "and since ...." at around 05:00 in the video ;)

And what about 88.4 (it should be 88.2) and 176.8 (it's 176.4) ... sorry Hans but do your research better ...

image.thumb.png.350e57e4bf3f80258e42ac2c68db9157.png

Common  PCM sample rates are all multiples of either 44.1 or 48 Khz.

Now back on topic:

The best filter to my ears is your intermediate phase filter:

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2018/01/musings-more-fun-with-digital-filters.html

I actually put it in our own product and gave it away as a free software update ;)

http://432evo.be/sqi

I also put in the MQA alike filter with one cycle of post-ringing which you can find in my signature here at CA, but it can't beat the intermediate phase filter. The MQA alike filter just kills the decay of instruments. No thanks. Nice with EDM as it makes the kick very tight, but it ruins voices. The decay and post-echo in voices is reduced by MQA alike filters. It does not sound organic.

Cool implementation man ?... Will have to give it a listen at some point.

8 hours ago, FredericV said:

And first he says he likes linear phase the most on dacs with selectable filters, and then he contradicts himself he likes MQA a lot, which does not implement linear phase but a modified minimum phase filter which messes up the frequency domain:

LOL. I didn't even realize HB dragged out MQA later because I couldn't bear to finish watching it until I read your message.

"But even non-MQA files clearly benefit from these MQA filters according to me and some colleagues." (~11:00)

Yeesh...

Can't wait for his part 2 video on jitter...

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

Just now, Derek Hughes said:

So Chris, here’s where your site fails on this subject. Brinkman Ship says I should be ashamed and I know that if I engaged in a debate with him or others I would receive a shit storm. 

Shit storm? Not necessarily, Derek. In which way and at what point do you think Chris characterised MQA in an unfair way?

1 minute ago, austinpop said:

Glad you liked the Constellation/Rockport room. And great to meet you, @barrows

I was thinking of posting a day 3 report, but it looks like this has now become an MQA thread.

A 3-day report sounds interesting @austinpop. Certainly deserves its own thread if not a front page article with pictures!

23 minutes ago, crenca said:

I don't normally disagree with Archimago but I will here.  MP3, AAC and the like are not the equivalent in the market for several reasons.  Manufacturers of DAC's are unfortunately in a bad position in that they are being leveraged by others in "the industry" into helping position MQA.  As a consumer, MQA is so bad for my interests and niche Audiophiledom as a whole, they can not be left off the hook as  innocent "victims" of market forces.  Don't get me wrong, I really believe they are "innocent", but they are casualties so to speak.  Don't blame consumers for rightly eschewing otherwise good products which happen to include the really bad "feature" of MQA.  

If other parts of "the industry" has leveraged you into signing an NDA and including functionality you know is garbage and bad for the consumer, well then that is on you - own it.  If you go out of business because of MQA, or in spite of it, well that is the dog-eat-dog of world of business and consumers have no obligation (moral or practical) to support you either way.

Consumers self interests and moral obligation is to a marketplace that supports their interests and needs and MQA is decidedly against that... 

I certainly can appreciate that sentiment Crenca. There is something to be said about being part of the collateral damage by "virtue" of association.

31 minutes ago, Hugo9000 said:

The marketing person at MQA has a degree in criminology lol

Color me unsurprised... ¬¬

4 hours ago, Sonicularity said:

Archimago should have sat next to Chris in a Daft Punk outfit to remain anonymous.

LOL. Maybe next year at the new date and venue... That would be really cool. ?

Would be surprised if anyone cares about MQA by then though.

Curious for the people at RMAF, was there much interest in the MQA Live event. Obviously they're looking for niches to claw back some revenue like the patently ridiculous MQA-CD and now this "MQA Live". I see Audio Bacon put up a video of the event in the Revel/Levinson room.