IGNORED

Everything sounds the same

mansr

3 hours ago, firedog said:

And nothing I wrote contradicts your position. It makes no sense every time someone asks about cables to write the same endless arguments over and over again.It’s a topic that’s been beaten to death hundreds of times here.  That’s why I suggested Mansr, Sal, and others write a sticky thread with their position and simply refer people to it. Or set up a cable debate thread and debate it there. Refer newbies to it. No reason to continually hijckack multiple threads Into  the same argument. Especially when the OP in the other thread was obviously aware of the argument and specifically asked that his question not be turned into such a debate. 

Good Idea, but it seems to me that these threads invariably take on a lifetime of their own, they wander off topic (not pointing any fingers, I'm as guilty as the next person on that account!) and it seems almost impossible to get them back on topic (until Chris shuts them down, of course). People talk about what they're passionate about, it seems and there are 4 or 5 subjects that this crew circles back to time and time again. I doin't see how we're going to stop it. Chris can't monitor every topic continually, shutting the topic down at the first incipient signs of a cable debate, or whatever raises people's passions.

George

5 hours ago, PeterSt said:

Wrong. The spread in the food is very different for the larger grains vs the smaller, no matter the total weight is equal.

Indeed you are no cook. Nobody cares. But of course you are telling the cook that you know better.

Good thread.

Now, we're arguing about SALT????!!!!

George

13 hours ago, jabbr said:

Creationism isn't science because the hypothesis isn't disprovable. In normal science a phenomenon is observed and they a hypothesis is generated and experiments are designed to disprove the hypothesis. Observations alone don't constitute science regardless of the statistics e.g "everybody knows"

What do you think the quotes around the words science and scientist are for? Creation science isn't trying to disprove anything, they are trying to prove something so silly and so naive that it's right up there with proving Santa Clause or the Easter Bunny or the Tooth Fairy. And a lot of these audio tweak sellers are not too far removed from Creation Science. I.E. they have an answer, and the've worked backwards to try to curve fit the facts to fit that answer. Interesting point about Creation Science. These people hire actual scientists, i.e. people with actual degrees in scientific disciplines such as geology, paleontology, archeology, sociology, etc. But these people aren't doing any real research, but I suspect they are doing more science than the audio voodoo-ist! 

George

1 hour ago, mansr said:

What's the difference? The idea that humans, of all animals, can hear things that elude the finest scientific instruments is nothing short of preposterous.

Do you actually believe that? or are you just waxing contrariness in order to create controversy? While I fundamentally agree that concrete, measurable data is needed to explain why certain things sound the way that they do, I also know that some things that can be measured make no difference to the sound of an audio component, and some things that can be heard are simply not represented by the measurements. For instance, you have two amplifiers that measure, identically. They have the same power, the same frequency response and both have vanishing levels of distortion. On paper, there should be no discernible difference between the two amps, yet listening shows that they sound distinctly different from one another. How do you measure that? The differences, it turns out, might be in the power supplies or the types of coupling and bypass capacitors used in each, Those things won't show up in the standard measurement suite, yet they are easily heard. 

I'm all for measurements, they are crucial, but just as crucial is a discerning ear. Measurements might tell you "why" but you ears will almost always tell you "what". I'm not forgetting the role that expectational and confirmational bias plays in all this, that's why when the measurements tell you one thing and your ears tell you something completely different, caution must be taken to avoid being fooled. But clearly to me, both measuring and listening are important.  John Atkinson's technical review of the Schiit Yggdrasil said that the thing didn't perform very well. Had I heeded that review, I wouldn't own one now. But, I have compared it to DACs such as the MSB Diamond DAC IV, the Benchmark DAC3 DX, The dCS Vivaldi, the AudioGD R2R7, etc. And NO DAC that I have tried has come within a country mile of the Yggdrasil in terms of overall musicality. 

George

2 hours ago, marce said:

People still use 5% resistors, 1% is pretty standard these days, and better in critical positions, and if you use SMD you can get 4 resistors in a package where they are temp matched and kept at the same temp as each other for critical feedback, I will dig out a data sheet when back at mu work comp.

Well, I have to admit that I haven't looked under an audio component's skirt for quite a while. If they use 1% resistors generally in this equipment, why would solid-state amps and preamps (and DACs) still need to warm-up for an hour or so before one does critical listening? 

George

14 minutes ago, Allan F said:

And don't forget the anchovies!

I never would! It's too bad that we Americans can't generally get real Mediterranean anchovies the way the Italians and people from the Cote d'Azure pack them. They are so much better than the anchovies one generally applies to US pizzas. Which, while they are ok on a pizza are just too salty and fishy for use elsewhere.  In my experience, not all salad Nicoise have anchovies, but they all seem to have a local canned tuna, that again, tastes nothing like StarKist or Chicken-of-the-Sea.

The best anchovies I've ever tasted were fresh ones in a local restaurant in Cefalu on the north coast of Sicily. Fried in olive oil, they were so crisp and well seasoned that one just ate the whole thing! Delicious.

Speaking of pizza, southern Italy literally ruined me for pizza. There are so few pizzas that I can eat since I tasted a real one, that I don't eat it very often. New York and New Jersey have the best pizzas in the US (IMHO, I might add). Here in Reno, there are two Pizza places that make pizza that is close to real NY pizza and close to the real Neapolitan "Pizza Margarita" The New York style is called (very originally) "NY Pizza" and the Neapolitan style is from a chain called "Grimaldi's". Interesting because Grimaldi is the name of the Royal House of Monaco, which is in France, not Italy. Go Figure!   

George

13 hours ago, tmtomh said:

One area where I do agree with Frank, at least to a degree, is about interconnects. I'm not ready to solder mine, because I don't believe contact noise/problems are an issue in properly looked-after RCA connections using decent interconnects. But I am a strong believer in using RCA interconnects with gold-plated or otherwise highly conductive, oxidization-resistant connectors, and with connectors that connect rather tightly to the RCA jacks of one's equipment. And I've also found that the odd RCA interconnect will start giving me trouble after several years, which has prompted me to buy a new set every 5-10 years or so. (I buy stuff like BlueJeans cable - so trivially expensive to replace, if one amortizes the cost over the years of service the cables provide.)

Gold isn't the best conductor, If you want that, you go with silver. but gold doesn't corrode, part of it's value throughout history is it's incorruptibility. This also, BTW, is what makes it desirable and extremely useful in electronics. A thin layer of gold deposited on connector parts. is enough to insure that the connectors do not corrode. Silver, for all of it's great conductivity turns black with silver oxide if left in the air. Silver oxide, deposited on mating connector parts forms DIODES; i.e. rectifiers. Not exactly what you want in a connector used to pass an AC signal like audio. 

I bet you'll find that if you take the time, every year or so to give your current cable connectors and their mating sockets, a good clean with DeToxIT (or equivalent), you can save yourself some money over buying new cables. Of course, cables do go bad occasionally, and those have to be replaced.

George

6 hours ago, esldude said:

Actually I think silver oxide is not a bad conductor.  Most silver tarnishing includes a fair amount of silver sulfide which is a semi-conductor at best.  Silver chloride is also usually part of the silver tarnish.  

What else is a semiconductor? A diode. Diodes rectify (i.E. they permit current to travel in only one direction) Not what you want in an audio connection. No, gold is the best interface between two connector surfaces.

George

6 hours ago, mansr said:

Really?

"Here is everyday help for all of us because we live in a toxic world.  Contains the programmed frequencies to neutralize the residue from low level toxins plus the residue from many in the mid range."

Or did you mean DeoxIT?

I obviously meant DeOxIT. So I misremembered what the stuff is called. so crucify me!

George