IGNORED

Official Qobuz Issues Thread

4 minutes ago, David Craff said:

So we will display all our music catalog and music not available will be show but in another color (grey) and you can listen only sample if available.

Yes I'm familiar with that approach and it's very frustrating to open an album and find that none of the tracks (or maybe just one track) is available.  It would be better not to show the album or at least have an option to exclude such albums from the search results.  Nobody with a HiFi subscription wants to listen to MP3 samples.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

15 minutes ago, rickca said:

Yes I'm familiar with that approach and it's very frustrating to open an album and find that none of the tracks (or maybe just one track) is available.  It would be better not to show the album or at least have an option to exclude such albums from the search results.  Nobody with a HiFi subscription wants to listen to MP3 samples.

This is not so easy because even you can't listen to this album, you can get information of tracks, description, buy it, add it to favorite etc...

Sometime this album is not available for streaming but if you buy it you can stream it after. So it's better to view the album than hide it.

Maybe we can alert before clicking on album is there no tracks streamable. (lighter cover, tag or other)

Qobuz Product Manager for Desktop, Web Player and Search Engine.

17 hours ago, David Craff said:

This is not so easy because even you can't listen to this album, you can get information of tracks, description, buy it, add it to favorite etc...

Sometime this album is not available for streaming but if you buy it you can stream it after. So it's better to view the album than hide it.

Maybe we can alert before clicking on album is there no tracks streamable. (lighter cover, tag or other)

Yes, you would prefer people thinking "OK, I can buy this if I want it," rather than "What do you mean I can't stream it?"

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

@Fridolin What is wrong about that approach-I have had Qobuz in the USA since 2013 or so and that approach to an artist like Leonard is half the fun... I for one love covers of artists songs and albums that is how I discovered Barb Jungr covering not only Leonard but Waits Dylan and others! Enjoy the format and enjoy the many different European artists not found on TIDAL or readily available in USA- I even found Won-Ton-Ton an obscure Belgium female group(Bea Van Der Maat) with a very DARK album called 'HOME' with some very very dark songs on Qobuz and loved it! I type in record labels and get great results like the Bear Family from Germany and their great collections of Johnny Cash and others even though I have their collections on LP and CD-so much easier to just stream the music especially in CD quality.

bobbmd

2 hours ago, shadowlight said:

Stupid user question.  I cannot seem to figure out how to sort the search results.

Not a stupid question, but a great one!

There does not appear to be a way to sort search results. This is the context of the feature request I made to @David Craff earlier. It would be really helpful to have sort and filter controls whenever results are displayed. This could be either due to search, or when navigating (for example, a list of albums in a genre), or when clicking a hyperlink (for example, a label).

Sort:

• by artist
  • by date
  • by genre
  • by album/track name (depends on the context of the list)

Filter - the ability to constrain results where:

• format is Hi-Res/CD/MP3
  • artist/album/genre/label = "something"

I'm sure the list above is incomplete, but you get the idea.

12 hours ago, mourip said:

I am getting a Qobuz "error 500" this evening.

Seems like it might be a server issue. I can get to other sites just fine.

Any ideas?

Hi,

We have made updates to our servers that have resulted in some disruption. You should not have any more problems now.

On 9/8/2018 at 4:29 AM, Jud said:

Yes, you would prefer people thinking "OK, I can buy this if I want it," rather than "What do you mean I can't stream it?"

I have no preference, I try to find the best compromise for users. We may add this feature but we have to do it intelligently.

It should not be forgotten that Qobuz is also a platform for buying dematerialized music and that the rights to listen to an album are at the discretion of the rights holders (Label, Major, Artist...). We therefore have to juggle the expectations of our customers (with multiple profiles) and the issues related to this sector. 

1 hour ago, David Craff said:

We have made updates to our servers that have resulted in some disruption.

Qobuz needs to communicate with its subscribers.  If you plan to make changes that may disrupt service, tell us.  If you then outperform and manage to make the changes without disruption everyone will be happy.

TIDAL never communicated with subscribers and made a real mess transitioning their CDN.  That's how they lost me to Qobuz 3 years ago.  Don't make the same mistake.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

1 hour ago, David Craff said:

I have no preference, I try to find the best compromise for users. We may add this feature but we have to do it intelligently.

It should not be forgotten that Qobuz is also a platform for buying dematerialized music and that the rights to listen to an album are at the discretion of the rights holders (Label, Major, Artist...). We therefore have to juggle the expectations of our customers (with multiple profiles) and the issues related to this sector. 

Hi David,

Yes, I recognize this is a balancing act. Do you have a sense for how much of your customer base is (or will be) purchase-only? Compared to streaming-only and streaming+purchase? Since all the (Qo) buzz ;) in the media and audio press has been on the streaming service, I sorta assumed that was your primary customer set.

All that aside, this should be a non issue. Why not just enhance the display on the UI of the app? Take this example:

Screen Shot 2018-09-17 at 10.50.16 AM.png

Where it says: "Available in Hi-Res Audio," why not add a modifier like this:

1. for Purchase only
  2. for Streaming and Purchase
  3. for Streaming only - I doubt this is ever true, but included for completeness.

Your thoughts?

33 minutes ago, rickca said:

Qobuz needs to communicate with its subscribers.  If you plan to make changes that may disrupt service, tell us.  If you then outperform and manage to make the changes without disruption everyone will be happy.

TIDAL never communicated with subscribers and made a real mess transitioning their CDN.  That's how they lost me to Qobuz 3 years ago.  Don't make the same mistake.

This is especially true for new subscribers.

Imagine signing up for a service as a trial subscriber and getting ERROR messages. You have no history with the service and after a level of frustration with "what am I doing wrong", you sign off and never give them a second chance.

Since quitting Tidal, I have been a subscriber to Spotify Premium. Spotify Premium has outstanding service. They are super responsive to their listeners, are constantly tweaking their apps and they are experts in shaping the streaming environment to listeners music preferences. It should be the service that all streaming services try to emulate.

I suggest that everyone at Qobuz take out a Spotify Premium subscription and live with the experience for several months. I'm serious.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

2 hours ago, David Craff said:

Hi,

We have made updates to our servers that have resulted in some disruption. You should not have any more problems now.

Thanks David. I figured it was something like that. As I was coincidentally installing it on my new OS I was a bit confused. Even a more informative popup message would have been better. Perhaps "Oops. Our server ate some bad hay"? 

"Error 500" could have meant anything and even consulting the Universal Source of Truth(Googling) did not help.

BTW. I would be interested in knowing how your business divides between streaming and purchases also. Having dipped my toe into the QB pool I feel very little inclination to buy files now. I hope to combine it with Roon for a One Stop Shop...

That all said I love Qobuz and am looking forward to it's release here in the US.

Best,

Paul

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

2 hours ago, mourip said:

"Error 500" could have meant anything and even consulting the Universal Source of Truth(Googling) did not help.

"HTTP error 500 - Internal Server Error" - it does mean anything could be wrong ☺️

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

More of a feature request than an issue: How about adding the ability to copy text into the search box by "right clicking". It does work with ctrl + V. Obviously not earth shaking or show stopper. Just a refinement.

While we are at it, how about a QB sponsored forum? Right now this thread has expanded a bit to enfold all things QB...

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

20 hours ago, rickca said:

Hi,

I'm agree with you, we need to make lot's of progress in communication with customers. I'll see what I can do about it for our desktop  application.