IGNORED

Networking the New Ayre Building

20 minutes ago, GUTB said:

I wonder why a boutique audio manufacturer needs a lot of networking and IT resources.

Why does any real business need these things?

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

18 minutes ago, loop7 said:

@Ryan Berry Did you have some good options for broadband at the new location?

I know some light industrial areas here in the SF Bay area (of all places) suffer from lack of infrastructure. Fiber is often a pipe dream.

Funny you should ask about that, as I have a story there!  When I first was looking into broadband options, I was given the choice of a 3 Mbps DSL line or satellite that neighbors were none too thrilled about.  They were patching the two services together just to get something resembling a decent connection.  I had to explain to the rep that we can't run off a connection that my cell phone could beat.  So they dug around and realized that there was a fiber line not 250 feet from our building that was ran into one building and there was an intranet between the buildings to share connection.  So they are tapping into that line and sending a branch into our building since the buildings are no longer tied together (obviously).   We are very fortunate and are having fiber ran into the building now, so we're in good shape for at least another 25 years!

Our new place is actually relatively close to the IBM building in Boulder, so I was pretty surprised at the lack of internet options until they found that one for us.

President

Ayre Acoustics, Inc.

10 hours ago, TubeLover said:

I spent 33 years in IT and, as one of our roles, my staff used to direct and oversee these kinds of implementations across the country. That's first rate work with the cabling and infrastructure. Nice to see. Even major corporations will often take short cuts and/or hire less than optimally skilled low voltage companies to do the work. Good to see Ayre is doing things right in this regard to, it speaks to quality management in an overall sense.

JC

Thank you very much for the compliment!  We're pretty obsessive about doing things the right way here, which is not always easy to convey without it sounding like an advertising plug; which I have no intention of doing on the forums.  High end audio is a pretty crazy world to manufacture for that I certainly had never encountered before working at Ayre.  I need to figure out a fun way to show all the things we do around here to get it right.

President

Ayre Acoustics, Inc.

Interesting, but no.  We only use things that were know make the room sound better, and only experiment with things that have some explanation that strikes us, so we're probably pretty conservative compared to most rooms. Some rugs on the wall and on the floor sound dampen as well as anything else we've been sent to try, etc., so the money's all in the equipment for us. We do have a nice rack by HRS, and, of course, we use the dreaded wood blocks on the carpet. 

Things like that coating seems like a lot more work than I'd be willing to do, and I doubt most people would want to in their homes. Since our gear is made for people's houses, it doesn't make much sense to us to do things in our sound room and design gear for it that you wouldn't do at your home.  I can't speak for other companies, but it makes more sense to do it that way to us. 

President

Ayre Acoustics, Inc.

15 hours ago, Ryan Berry said:

Interesting, but no.  We only use things that were know make the room sound better, and only experiment with things that have some explanation that strikes us, so we're probably pretty conservative compared to most rooms. Some rugs on the wall and on the floor sound dampen as well as anything else we've been sent to try, etc., so the money's all in the equipment for us. We do have a nice rack by HRS, and, of course, we use the dreaded wood blocks on the carpet. 

Sounds like an excuse for installing 100" 6K screen.   

Doing any upgrades to ventilation or cool air intake?

We have a 100" screen with one of the early prototype DLA projectors they were nice enough to send to us to test with, so we're appy there since we almost never watch thing when we can listen to music.  Not 6K, but the price was right!

No ventilation changes.  Again, way too much work to do for a small business.  The massive changes to the production floor are enough to keep us busy for quite some time and well beyond anything we've ever done before.  Floor was just sealed and coated, still have to get the air lines in place, etc.  Always something more to do!

President

Ayre Acoustics, Inc.

On 7/27/2018 at 1:14 AM, Ryan Berry said:

I need to figure out a fun way to show all the things we do around here to get it right.

YouTube videos like Paul McGowan is doing (daily)?

Pictures speak a thousand words, so some short videos touring your place and what you’re doing would be fun to watch.

By “your place” I do mean Ayre HQ - not videos of what you get up to at home of course hehe